Robo Taxi - When?

When do you think you will actually be able to put your CT into Robo Taxi Service

• Total voters

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
It is widely supposed that one will be able to put his CT into Robo Taxi Service and thus recoup some or all of the cost of purchasing it. I am curious as to what peoples' expectation are as to how soon the technology and regulatory approvals necessary to make this possible will be available.

Better be specific about what Robo Taxi Service is. To me it means that a gentleman that has wined and dined well but not too wisely can contact you, give you his location and where he want's to go and that you can program your truck to go pick him up (without you on board) and deliver him home safely snoozing in the back seat.
Sponsored

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I want facial recognition software, person enters, scan the occupant for open warrants and bounties, drive him in to collect the bounty.

Irrelevant to the survey but, thought just popped into my head.

Or, recognize a rival, let the deviltry ensue.

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
I think one poll option should be "over 10 years, but in my lifetime".

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
More Teslas on the road means more machine learning that can occur. In the warm south where winter driving conditions occur I think the robotaxi fleet has a chance sooner. The amount of Tesla’s there also helps. Tesla will be able to get near real time driving data to help run the robotaxi along toads with high confidence of the conditions. Wildlife is not as big of an issue in urban settings and speeds are slower for monitoring and breaking. Avoid school zones to reduce the risk of unexpected behaviour from humans and it is more possible. Also the ability to use starlink to communicate between all of Teslas fleet and you have a better chance of using your CT as a robotaxi. In the cold north it will take a lot longer or never to do the robotaxi year round or maybe never.

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
People on the edges of this problem (guys like Lex Fridman) suggest it is way harder than those on the inside think. Elon and Jim Keller disagree and think it's just a data problem.

Elon could figure it out relatively soon, but the geniuses working under him are struggling. I mean no disrespect to his team, Elon is simply from another dimension.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
before robotaxi, autonomous driving must be achieved. (Stating the obvious)

I assume the rollout for autonomous driving will begin with

1 autonomous cross country trucks
2 freeways
3 highways
4 cities (Excludes hectic traffic areas and NY)
5 list works down to residential And then school zones

My assumption pertains to the order of when government allows. Tesla’s semi delivery would yield to autonomous piggyback transport to hubs have The final leg delivered by a local driver.

IMO, not based of any in the know data source, repeat at your own peril.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
People on the edges of this problem (guys like Lex Fridman) suggest it is way harder than those on the inside think. Elon and Jim Keller disagree and think it's just a data problem.

Elon could figure it out relatively soon, but the geniuses working under him are struggling. I mean no disrespect to his team, Elon is simply from another dimension.
I often find extreme views are the most off the mark. I think we can all agree it is a complex set of challenges.

If I can envision how to achieve the technology, I know those dedicated to the vision can achieve delivery. My hope is the final outcome will be affordable to the consumer. Insurance companies will soon switch to advocating autonomous driving when the realization hits, their bottom line can improve by leaps and bounds.

Business needs will finally align, bills then passed to allow use, finally when done, robotaxi can turn on.

IMO

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
People on the edges of this problem suggest it is way harder than those on the inside think.
Yes, I noticed that when I was given an AI section to run several years back. In Offenbach's Contes d'Hoffman the protagonist (Hoffman) is given a pair of magic glasses through which Olympia (Spalanzani's "AI" creation) appears to be a real woman. All the guys in my AI group had a pair of those glasses.
Sponsored