Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
Several folks on here talk about putting their Cybertruck on Robotaxi duty. There's no supervision other than a camera. Won't these vehicles be trashed? I don't care for traveling by bus because they are usually rundown (does not apply to private tour buses).

Getting paid for otherwise idle 'assets' sounds like a great idea, but is it really feasible?

(Oh, sorry next customer, little Johnny threw up in the back seat. Ignore the smell!)

Note: This sounds like a troll post when I go back and read it, but it is serious. At least as serious as people who say they are going to go this route.
Sponsored

Eye of Elon

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Yaris
Occupation
Driver
Country flag
There is probably a high percentage of vomiting in taxis, since a lot of the customers are too drunk to drive. Hopefully the interior could be hosed out.

Noncorporeal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1982 Jeep Scrambler, 2010 Toyota Venza, 2007 Honda Element, 2021 CT dual motor
Country flag
Several folks on here talk about putting their Cybertruck on Robotaxi duty. There's no supervision other than a camera. Won't these vehicles be trashed? I don't care for traveling by bus because they are usually rundown (does not apply to private tour buses).

Getting paid for otherwise idle 'assets' sounds like a great idea, but is it really feasible?

(Oh, sorry next customer, little Johnny threw up in the back seat. Ignore the smell!)

Note: This sounds like a troll post when I go back and read it, but it is serious. At least as serious as people who say they are going to go this route.
I bet tesla will insure the vehicles while they are in robotaxi mode, for when someone like really does destroy the car or something. From there, I bet you could just report the people who trashed your car to tesla, and they could be deplatformed, fined, or maybe both. I'm sure tesla will find a way to get rid of people who are ruining these cars,. especially since they are generally in the more premium market. It will be interesting to see what they come up with!

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
There is probably a high percentage of vomiting in taxis, since a lot of the customers are too drunk to drive. Hopefully the interior could be hosed out.

pan floor containers, plastic seat like in police patrol vehicles.

Roger

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, CyberTruck
Occupation
Insurance Broker, Investor/Trader, Future RoboTaxi fleet owner.
Country flag
Absolutely non-issue. Each rider has to verify their identity & put a credit card to register on the platform. They have to agree that their ride will be recorded. They also have to agree to make good for the damages to vehicle because of the ride booked by them. They maybe denied future bookings (or, their registration to the platform cancelled) if they cause damage/s to vehicle, even after their CC is charged for the loss.

1) Uber/Lyft do charge anywhere from $20 to $150 for spilling soda, vomiting, urine, blood, etc.
2) Riders will be encouraged to rate cleanliness (including reporting any odors, be it cigarette, weed, etc.) of the vehicle. Upon a negative report/rating, the previous rider will be watched (including monitoring their future rides) & warned if necessary. Upon confirmation of the offense, their registration on the platform may be cancelled.

Last edited:

Sputter

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

You know, I've wondered the same thing.
It would be great for one's car payment to be paid by others, but at the same time, how to protect one's investment? How to allow your Tesla to be used by random strangers, but keep vandals from trashing the interior? Could the system work somewhat like UBER or LYFT whereby you are pre-approved (by virtue of a photo ID and an approved credit card?) I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with my $50,000 vehicle being out and about in certain neighborhoods at certain hours of the night. And what if the rider wanted to take my Tesla to Oshkosh? (I live in Maryland.) How would I get my precious back?

Zooman001

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Air traffic controller
Country flag
I have been wondering if the robotaxi system would be available to the owner. Could I send the truck to pickup the kids at school? Could the truck be called to pick me up at work? If it could it would be amazing.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Robot taxi implies that you, or a customer, can interact with a web site or app at which you can enter an address for pickup and a destination and the car will go to the pickup point and drive to the destination, all without human intervention. Yes, it would be amazing if the CT could do that. It's going to be a long time before it will be able to do that but if any of us are still alive when it can what would preclude us from putting our place of work or our child's school in as the pickup point and our home as the destination?

Last edited:

Sputter

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have been wondering if the robotaxi system would be available to the owner. Could I send the truck to pickup the kids at school? Could the truck be called to pick me up at work? If it could it would be amazing.
Great idea! Because I'd probably never let my Tesla become part of the random robo fleet, it never occurred to me of other possibilities. But yeah, my wife needs a ride home from work––just send the CYBRTRK to go get her. The kids need a ride to school––no problem––send the Tesla. Taking an elderly widow neighbor to Costco––heck yes. Have the Tesla wait for her. Say my auntie needs to be picked up at the airport––no sweat, "Hang on Dearie, my black Tesla is on the way. the license number is_____. I'll unlock it when it gets there." ( Or some such––details to be worked out.) To me, these scenarios represent my personal future. Allowing random others to use my baby is not something I would likely be interested in.

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
well? I guess imaginations aren't as active in everyone.
Now Back to the thread's topic....
I have read that the vehicles being created now (all the "Y"s) have a "non-active" interior camera. One of the uses could be to monitor riders during robotaxi service.
"No I did not take a dump in the vehicle..."
"Ok, Sir, let's run the tape..."

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
One other thing to consider besides have your robotaxi trashed by drunks/idiots/mental deficients would be criminal activity. Drug dealers could use a robtaxi for deliveries or pickups. If the police busted them in the act they could seize the vehicle as evidence. Any thoughts from the faithful?

BLUR1895

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3P
Occupation
IT Manager
Country flag
Back seat customer uses farting smart phone app to mask true obnoxious gas after eating jar of pickled garlic, while swashbuckling a hole in the seat with their pointy conceal carry holster...how do you prove such atrocities? These are things that we must solve, this very well could be a data issue..when you free the data, the smell (wonderful) will follow.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Back seat customer uses farting smart phone app to mask true obnoxious gas after eating jar of pickled garlic,
No need. Are you not aware of the Emissions Testing Mode now available on all new Teslas? It was rolled out the day before I took delivery of my first X and so the guy that delivered it did not know about it but, of course, the first thing I did when he showed up with the car was try it out. He now calls me the "fart guy". Anyway, when I took delivery of my second X last week the subject of improvements to the Emissions Testing Mode naturally came up. I suggested a rack of small (laboratory sized) bottles of gas in the frunk with tubes running to under the seats. The bottles would be sold in the on line store with flavors like squid and garlic, beef-bean burito, sauerkraut and hardboiled eggs etc. I'm sure he was on the phone with Elon as soon as I left so perhaps we will have all this is the Cybtertruck!

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
My guesses
...The whole robotaxi thing is far in the future. At least a full design interation past this 1. So 10+ years is my guess. You could have an entire thread of problems that can and will arise in the robot taxis.
But
Full self driving while in the car (with nearly no driver intervention)should be doable withen 2.5 years.

Autonomous driving Friends and family from home to home, or home to designated parking area. is something MUCH more easily controllable and I think doable in 5 years.

Dont buy into the car making u money anytime soon.
Sponsored