The future might be privately owned Cybertrucks and Robotaxi cars - Will Tesla Robotaxis make private car ownership obsolete?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
OK, try using a robotaxi to bring home groceries for a family of six or more. You will be murdered by the other passengers while you put your 32 grocery bags in the trunk/frunk.
Umm, I did Costco shopping via taxi for the time when our only vehicle was a motorcycle.

It's no biggie. It pulls up in the loading zone, just like everyone else, and no one bats an eye as you fill a taxi (let alone a robotaxi that looks like a normal car) with your groceries and ride home.

The only problem was the drivers, which wasn't an issue. They hate sitting around while you load and unload. And will try to stack a courier fee on you if you aren't careful.

-Crissa

Edit: Definitely don't get a Lyftline or Ubershare for your groceries. Not only is it rude, it violates the 'and one bag per person' rule.
Sponsored

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
The idea that most people won't own cars is is flawed in that it doesn't take into account capitalism. Hyundai isn't going to stop making cars if people can buy them. People like to buy things. As such, individual ownership won't die. It will probably grow.

Robotaxis could be extremely useful for situations where car ownership is difficult. City centers. Developing countries. When I lived in the heart of the downtown city as a student, I would have loved efficient robotaxis.

I can also see families choosing to have one car instead of two, and using robotaxis for many things instead. A robocar picks you up for work, you can drink your coffee and read ElonTwitter on your way, and it will be there to pick you up when you're ready to leave. Your personal car you save for weekend fun.

It's possible that some cities and government may push to discourage individual ownership for the non-wealthy by taxing it hard. I've seen that proposed. Some like the idea. I don't think it would fly overall, as I think most people get satisfaction from owning things.

Deleted member 12560

Edit: Definitely don't get a Lyftline or Ubershare for your groceries. Not only is it rude, it violates the 'and one bag per person' rule.
What makes you think that robotaxies are not going to be ride-sharing from the get-go?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What makes you think that robotaxies are not going to be ride-sharing from the get-go?
Well, right now it's an app just like Lyft and and Uber. There's no Lyftline or shared travel, but in the future... there almost certainly will be.

If I'm going to the airport, I might be perfectly fine with trading a few minutes using the shared airporter for a cheaper price. Or the concert hall, or the sports venue... In fact, those might actually save me time since denser transport is usually given preferential treatment at the destination.

-Crissa

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Well, right now it's an app just like Lyft and and Uber. There's no Lyftline or shared travel, but in the future... there almost certainly will be.

If I'm going to the airport, I might be perfectly fine with trading a few minutes using the shared airporter for a cheaper price. Or the concert hall, or the sports venue... In fact, those might actually save me time since denser transport is usually given preferential treatment at the destination.

-Crissa
It depends on venues. But I've always avoided parking at Hollwood Bowl, and The Greek Theatre. It's fun to ride in a shuttle full of concert patrons. And at those 2 venues it works very well. The Metro in L.A. was a good choice before covid.
I still say, watch what happens to the car rental industry when Robotaxi come online. That industry is already having a very tough time because they can't find new vehicles this year. Hey, maybe that had something to do with Hertz choosing to buy Tesla's?

CYBER PARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Benz,CT
Country flag
Luke42,post: 99727,member: 7301 said:
我的想法是,同样的车辆设计可以作为robotaxi、商用货车和私人车辆。

我想用一辆赛博凡it来替代我的美式皮卡。

我用我的皮卡车拉着我的5口之家,拖着我的野营车,也运送像家具和建筑材料这样的大件物品。

老实说,货车会更好。但是,美国市场上的货车要么是不能牵引我的野营车的轻型家用小型货车,要么是不能舒适地牵引我的家人的重型商用车辆。一辆中型货车(大约是老式雪佛兰Astro货车的大小)可以做我的皮卡车所做的一切。

基于Cybertruck平台的大型厢式车可以满足所有这些私人、商业和车队的需求。
Maybe Tesla will have VAN and adopt Cybertruck platform to meet individual market demand, while Robotaxi, as a Minibus, can be used to meet the demand of enterprise business market

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, the vehicle with lots of seats is different than, say, the vehicle with lots of space for tools.

But they could be the same platform. Tesla hasn't really done that sort of thing yet. They need more batteries. They need to allow more user access to repair/modify. Then maybe?

-Crissa

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I just Googled. I will use USA, because of its market size.

USA has about 2 million rideshare drivers.

Many overlap between companies.. so say 1.5 million

Lets say 1 million are operating during business hours.

Telsa plans to built 20 million cars per year.

How many would end up as rideshare in the US over 10 years ?

10 million 20 million ? 30?

In all shapes and sizes

Maybe buses will be free.. maybe cars etc with fee

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm not sure how rideshare is comparable with robots who can operate below 1:1. As long as they have their base to go back to get cleaned, they should be able to stay on the road.

-Crissa
Sponsored