Shell turned an old gas station into an EV-only charging hub with free WiFi and solar panels

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Oil giant Shell turned an old gas station into an EV-only charging hub with free WiFi and solar panels in its timber canopies. Take a look around.
Stephen Jones

620fc5b8462ff20019c5ac51?width=700.jpg

Shell Recharge in Fulham, London, opened in January 2022. Stephen Jones
  • Oil giant Shell converted one of its gas stations into an EV-only charging hub.
  • It features nine charge points, a supermarket, a coffee shop, and free WiFi.
  • Shell said it's the first time it has converted one of its old gas stations in this way.
You won't find any fossil fuel-powered cars filling up at Shell's old gas station on Fulham Road, London, UK.

What was once a run-of-the-mill gas station is now something rather different. Shell has converted the site into a charging hub exclusively for electric vehicles (EVs).

The Shell Recharge station opened in January 2022. According to Shell, it's the first time it has converted one of its existing gas stations into an EV-only charging hub.

Demand for new EVs is outpacing charging infrastructure. Some 190,000 new EVs were registered in the UK in 2021, according to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders – yet there are just under 29,000 EV charging points in the UK, according to ZapMap, whose figures are cited by the UK government.

Campaigners say the mismatch could hinder the mass adoption of EVs, making it hard for the government to meet its goal of phasing out sales of new fossil fuel-powered vehicles by 2030. President Joe Biden wants EVs to represent half of US new car sales by the same year.

So companies including Shell are investing to meet EV demand.

https://www.businessinsider.com/shell-gas-station-electric-vehicle-charging-hub-london-uk-2022-2
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hopefully, the office will be carrying the different sized adapters to fit every brand of vehicles.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Hopefully, the office will be carrying the different sized adapters to fit every brand of vehicles.
In Europe they have a solitary connection by mandate. No connection issues. That is something which hampers EV adoption in America.

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Oil giant Shell turned an old gas station into an EV-only charging hub with free WiFi and solar panels in its timber canopies. Take a look around.
Stephen Jones

620fc5b8462ff20019c5ac51?width=700.jpg

Shell Recharge in Fulham, London, opened in January 2022. Stephen Jones
  • Oil giant Shell converted one of its gas stations into an EV-only charging hub.
  • It features nine charge points, a supermarket, a coffee shop, and free WiFi.
  • Shell said it's the first time it has converted one of its old gas stations in this way.
You won't find any fossil fuel-powered cars filling up at Shell's old gas station on Fulham Road, London, UK.

What was once a run-of-the-mill gas station is now something rather different. Shell has converted the site into a charging hub exclusively for electric vehicles (EVs).

The Shell Recharge station opened in January 2022. According to Shell, it's the first time it has converted one of its existing gas stations into an EV-only charging hub.

Demand for new EVs is outpacing charging infrastructure. Some 190,000 new EVs were registered in the UK in 2021, according to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders – yet there are just under 29,000 EV charging points in the UK, according to ZapMap, whose figures are cited by the UK government.

Campaigners say the mismatch could hinder the mass adoption of EVs, making it hard for the government to meet its goal of phasing out sales of new fossil fuel-powered vehicles by 2030. President Joe Biden wants EVs to represent half of US new car sales by the same year.

So companies including Shell are investing to meet EV demand.

https://www.businessinsider.com/shell-gas-station-electric-vehicle-charging-hub-london-uk-2022-2
With the government recently slapping an extra 15% tax on top of the unit price of electricity for these public charges seems short sighted at best, I will definitely be looking to always charge at home whenever possible, just another 7 days to go before I join the world of EV’s and can’t wait to drive around using electricity generated from my solar panels.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
That's a good move by Shell. I use Shell gas exclusively for my 2 cars that require 93 octane because of the quality. As the tide turns to EVs, Oil companies will be well served to first add chargers to gas stations, and then eventually, follow this approach to completely convert some locations to exclusively this type of EV station.

I agree, the US needs to pass some regulations around charging standardizations soon. I get that you want to wait until the best approaches are discovered, but you don't want to wait too long until there is a proliferation of technologies that hampers universality.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
In Europe they have a solitary connection by mandate. No connection issues. That is something which hampers EV adoption in America.
Its a 2 edged sword.

Once you “lock in” an adaptor with legislation, it becomes exceptionally difficult to improve it and update it.

Then you end up with this mess where technology improves at the pace of legislation.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That's a good move by Shell. I use Shell gas exclusively for my 2 cars that require 93 octane because of the quality. As the tide turns to EVs, Oil companies will be well served to first add chargers to gas stations, and then eventually, follow this approach to completely convert some locations to exclusively this type of EV station.

I agree, the US needs to pass some regulations around charging standardizations soon. I get that you want to wait until the best approaches are discovered, but you don't want to wait too long until there is a proliferation of technologies that hampers universality.
Personally, I’d prefer it just stay the same and Tesla sell CCS adaptors (For third parties to use Tesla chargers and so Tesla owners can use CCS). That way the companies can make progress in the ways that make most sense to their platform. CCS is pretty clearly dominating the non-Tesla market. Tesla can improve and innovate on their charging technology independent of the rest of the industry.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
YES! been hoping gas stations would do this, or at least put a few charges next to regular gas stations...im wondering how much the electricity is.
Some places I quick charge my leaf equate to like basically the same price as a 35mpg gas car. :{
Sponsored