Shell turned an old gas station into an EV-only charging hub with free WiFi and solar panels

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Personally, I’d prefer it just stay the same and Tesla sell CCS adaptors (For third parties to use Tesla chargers and so Tesla owners can use CCS). That way the companies can make progress in the ways that make most sense to their platform. CCS is pretty clearly dominating the non-Tesla market. Tesla can improve and innovate on their charging technology independent of the rest of the industry.
Agreed. as we go forward, if there is one or two easy-to-use adapters, then that qualifies as universality IMO. Needing to have several in order to use a myriad of plug designs across the charging network is another issue.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Agreed. as we go forward, if there is one or two easy-to-use adapters, then that qualifies as universality IMO. Needing to have several in order to use a myriad of plug designs across the charging network is another issue.
I expect to have to use three adapters.

One CCS.
One 30A 240VAC
One 50A 240VAC ( I forget the NEMA numbers and to lazy to look them up.)

Maybe the 120VAC one, but for the CT it MIGHT not be worth the cost and space for the charge rate. I'm assuming (but definitely could be wrong) the CT will come with one of the 240VAC adapters instead of the 120VAC. (This entire post is based on a US purchased CT).

I also plan to have a Tesla wall charger at home. So using an adapter will be rare anyway. Visiting my parents I plan on having dad install a 240VAC 50A outlet for me. So I'll use the 50A one when visiting. The 30A and CCS I expect to use very rarely, but would like to have.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Nobody else is going to invest in their own charging infrastructure and CCS has enough momentum it’s going to be around for quite some time.

Unfortunately this also means it’s unlikely many of these innovations some of these automakers other than Tesla are claiming will ever be much more than tech demos. Tesla can and likely will scale up to 500+ kWh charging within the next 3-5 years. The rest of the industry will be stuck on whatever the current generation of chargers support for some time.