Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
The test you did in Baja Mode for the High setting… I’m concerned that there might be more to the picture.

Baja Mode is somewhat like Track Mode in the Performance Model 3. I believe that cooling the batteries gets turned up to maximum while in the mode, and that is likely also contributing to the added energy consumption.

You could test this hypothesis by driving in medium height in an On-Road setting, and then in medium height in Baja Mode. This would rule out the suspension height and isolate any consumption due to the Baja Mode itself.
Great idea. I can definitely test that
Sponsored

Guylouis

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F.S. CyberBeast, XP, YP, 3P
Country flag
Why would you be so shocked by these results? it’s common sense

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
What surprises me is the difference the tonneau makes. Tesla stated 10% but you saw a 17% difference!
The percentage difference in range impact rises rapidly with increasing mph.

So, there is not a specific percentage of impact, it depends upon the cruising speed(s) involved.

At 45 mph, an open tonneau would have less than 10% impact to range.

Also, if the tonneau is open because the bed is full of cargo, the impact of an open tonneau will be less because the cargo will improve aerodynamics, especially if the cargo is just a tarped pile of beauty bark or the like, and not a tall, draggy shape.

In most cases the impact to range will not matter in any signifact way because people don't usually drive thousands of miles with cargo forcing the tonneau cover to remain open.