Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Here in Washington state we’ve been having some cold wet weather. Each morning I take my kid to school, I have to turn on the defroster to get the side view mirrors cleared.

That got me wondering about the CT side mirrors. Elon said they would be removable.

Most modern cars though have defrosting in them and can be adjusted electronically with buttons inside the cabin.

So I’m wondering about when the mirrors get removed. Is there going to be a large “receptacle” where the mirror attaches? That has connections for defrosting and adjusting the mirror? Do we end up with some ugly plastic cover over the receptacle?

Of course if cameras get permitted instead of mirrors it probably won’t take long to update the production line to get rid of the receptacles.

But mostly I’d prefer to just have the cameras and not have the receptacle covers on my truck.
Sponsored

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I reckon the panel will slide into the door, and the side mirror gets clicked into place.

The side mirrors will be stored separately. Frunk for example.

I'm guessing they may be sold as an accessory in countries where they are not compulsory?

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
One way or another, the CT will need mirrors or cameras that mount in so that the driver can see down the sides of the trailer.

I have a cargo trailer that's 102" wide, wider than my Ram 3500. The CT will need remote cameras from the top of the trailer looking down, or it'll need cameras on stalks that extend beyond the sides of the trailer.

I bet that Tesla designs in removable mirrors or camera stalks. I'm sure Tesla can make a good looking cover for the wiring.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
One way or another, the CT will need mirrors or cameras that mount in so that the driver can see down the sides of the trailer.

I have a cargo trailer that's 102" wide, wider than my Ram 3500. The CT will need remote cameras from the top of the trailer looking down, or it'll need cameras on stalks that extend beyond the sides of the trailer.

I bet that Tesla designs in removable mirrors or camera stalks. I'm sure Tesla can make a good looking cover for the wiring.
Having the mirror “receptacles” does have the added benefit of allowing for multiple mirror configurations. So the normal short stubby mirrors on the truck might be the default. But they could be replaced by mirrors on 1 ft stalks for towing. These extended mirrors could be heated and electrically aimed using the same controls in the cab. I haven’t done a ton of towing but I’m guessing that would be way better than the usual bolted on towing mirrors that take 2 people to adjust and don’t have an electric defrost.

When not towing the mirrors on stalks could be replaced with the normal mirrors.

And when cameras are approved, cameras on stalks could be another option.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
If they are easily removable...take them off, put them in your car in the evenings when frost might be an issue in the morning, and then snap them back on when you roll out. No defrosting necessary.
Sponsored