Starlink IPO

Dr Barnacle Luffy

First Name
Barnacle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4, Chevy 2500 diesel LT 4x4, Toyota T100 pickup, 2d RAV4
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Will CT have a Starlink antenna? Since it is an array antenna, wouldn't think that there would be a problem installing it in cutout on the roof which would keep with the clean lines of the truck. Or in the bonnet upfront. Might look like a hood scoop. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eye of Elon

Eye of Elon

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Yaris
Occupation
Driver
Country flag
Will CT have a Starlink antenna? Since it is an array antenna, wouldn't think that there would be a problem installing it in cutout on the roof which would keep with the clean lines of the truck. Or in the bonnet upfront. Might look like a hood scoop. ;)
You would think, Elon would connect all his vehicles and Neuralink recipients to Skynet...I mean Starlink, but who knows. I saw an interview where he said Starlink can't handle too many antennas in one area, but from the interview, it seems pizza box size and plug and play.

This video made me kind of sad, I feel like I have to move to Wyoming or be one of the chosen city folk.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I've been a couple of places where there is no LTE or even 3G and that means no voice commands, navigation to a destination you haven't been to before etc. If the car had a backup connection to Iridium or another LEO network such as StarLink that problem would be solved. But, as the man says in the video LEOs are not suitable for urban and suburban areas which is where the huge preponderance of Teslas are found and so the benefit of StarLink is available to only a small fraction of drivers. Thus the decision to install it in Tesla vehicles or not becomes an economic trade. With modern technology the terminal's cost will probably be comparable to that of a WiFi router so it isn't outside the realm of belief that they would install StarLink in their cars. As to the antennas - installing a microwave antenna in vehicle in such manner that it is not visible is pretty much a triviality. There isn't a single antenna bump visible on a Tesla today. Where are the GPS, cellphone and FM radio antenna? I don't actually know but rumor has it that the GPS antenna is in the passenger side mirror housing. A GPS patch antenna typically has dimensions of an inch or so. There should be no more problem with concealing a single one or set (assuming beam steering to actively track the satellite in use is wanted) of these in/on the vehicle than there is with the current day GPS and cell antennas. Except, of course, that the mirror housings might not be there.

Will they do it? No clue/

Dr Barnacle Luffy

First Name
Barnacle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4, Chevy 2500 diesel LT 4x4, Toyota T100 pickup, 2d RAV4
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You would think, Elon would connect all his vehicles and Neuralink recipients to Skynet...I mean Starlink, but who knows. I saw an interview where he said Starlink can't handle too many antennas in one area, but from the interview, it seems pizza box size and plug and play.

This video made me kind of sad, I feel like I have to move to Wyoming or be one of the chosen city folk.
Thank you for reply:) I don't think you can expect Elon to install everything you might want off the line. With a little research I think building a cool SS hood mount to install the antenna would not be hard. It would be worth the money to me just to give it a try. Living in the desert, I don't think I will be competing with a lot of other platforms.

Last edited:

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Thank you for reply:) I don't think you can expect Elon to install everything you might want off the line. With a little research I think building a cool SS hood mount to install the antenna would not be hard. It would be worth the money to me just to give it a try. Living in the desert, I don't think I will be competing with a lot of other platforms.
The irony/absurdity of a hood scoop on an electric vehicle just makes me giggle! I want to see this done.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
The irony/absurdity of a hood scoop on an electric vehicle just makes me giggle! I want to see this done.
You are in the company of H. Fisker’s Karma exhaust ports
Sponsored