Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'm pretty sure Musk just confirmed that they are ready to produce 10GW of 4680 cells in Fremont. "Enough to start scale production of Model Y".

If so, tremendous news. Not really accelerating CT start but it suggests the major show stoppers for 4680 are behind us.

Update: Sounds like others heard what I thought I heard as well, 10GW of 4680 production in Fremont. ? ? (y)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
LOL ... poorly asked question lets Musk completely dodge the question of where they are on progress of the $25k Tesla.

When asked about the status of the "Model 2":

~"Model 2 is not a thing, the only reason it's a Model Y is because it was supposed to be an E"

LOL

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
There was a very brief update on CT, but it was... a brief mention along with some other stuff. My understanding is it's still : Production starts end of 2022, Volume Production (5k/ week) by 2023. But it was a very fleeting comment so I'd like to hear another opinion on it.

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
There was a very brief update on CT, but it was... a brief mention along with some other stuff. My understanding is it's still : Production starts end of 2022, Volume Production (5k/ week) by 2023. But it was a very fleeting comment so I'd like to hear another opinion on it.
To me, It feels like they just don't know exactly when CT production will start, so they're saying late 2022 to be safe. Certainly it will be *BY* the end of 2022, but is there really any reason it couldn't start earlier? I really wish we had clarity on this.

It sounds like 4680 production is nearly ready. Giga Austin is nearly ready...what's the hold up? Any chance they surprise us by starting production in 6 months?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
To me, It feels like they just don't know exactly when CT production will start, so they're saying late 2022 to be safe. Certainly it will be *BY* the end of 2022, but is there really any reason it couldn't start earlier? I really wish we had clarity on this.

It sounds like 4680 production is nearly ready. Giga Austin is nearly ready...what's the hold up? Any chance they surprise us by starting production in 6 months?
Fully agree. I don't think they are going to wait until Dec 31st.

We're back to the same checklist as always, we just know now that the 4680 production is started, just not up to full scale yet. Checkbox #2 goes from unknown to "In Progress".
  • 8K Gigapress
  • 4680 cell production (in progress!!)
  • Factory completed

Deleted member 11233

5K a week yields 260,00 CT's a year. Gonna take a while to whittle down those million preorders. Of course the 5K figure may ramp up as the production lines get well established.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
5K a week yields 260,00 CT's a year. Gonna take a while to whittle down those million preorders. Of course the 5K figure may ramp up as the production lines get well established.
I've heard it suggested that Tesla sandbagged their production estimates.

Given the relative sizes of Fremont and Tera Texas, they have a lot of room to grow into.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
I watched the meeting on line and I was not surprised by anything Elon Musk mainly because I follow this guy on YouTube. Most of the predictions he made in previous videos were confirmed today at the meeting.
He gave a very good synopsis of what Elon said.
I especially liked what he said about the "Woke Mob". Tesla needs to ignore these morons and stick to their mission statement.
Sponsored