Tesla Announces Split Incoming (March 28 2022)

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
FWIW, below is my forecast from dec 2020.
I have used % as yearly increases based on my forecast profits... it's broad but reasonable, but the more time goes past, the more conservative I feel I have been.

I relate to Steven Mark Ryan and others who say it gets crazy. It could spike earlier if the market buys in. Regardless, eventually results will drive price. My true figure goes nuts from 2027.

Bottom line, I think you will get your wish

Btw I missed 2021 by $1 lol

V2. Dec 2020 RevisedUS each
end2020$ 705 actual
end2021$ 1,058
end2022$ 1,851
end2023$ 2,776
end2024$ 3,748
end2025$ 5,059
end2026$ 6,830
end2027$ 9,220
end2028$ 11,525
end2029$ 14,407
end2030$ 18,008
Some people think the split could be 20:1 not the old 5:1 this time. In any case I do not think it will be a 5:1 split. Perhaps a 10:1, but I like the idea of a 20:1 split given the added value of the stock as many people you included are predicting. Take $1110 down to $55.50 in a 20:1 split. That would make Tesla stocks available to many. There are talks that Amazon is planning a 20:1 split soon.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Some people think the split could be 20:1 not the old 5:1 this time. In any case I do not think it will be a 5:1 split. Perhaps a 10:1, but I like the idea of a 20:1 split given the added value of the stock as many people you included are predicting. Take $1110 down to $55.50 in a 20:1 split. That would make Tesla stocks available to many. There are talks that Amazon is planning a 20:1 split soon.
Donā€™t know myself. I could see reasons they might go either way.

If they only did a 5:1 split, it makes it a lot easier for them to issue additional splits later on which messes with the shorts a lot more than regular shareholders. Musk does not like short sellers at all and I could see him designing this to screw them over. In fact it could well be the primary motivation.

Authorize enough shares for a 20:1 split.

Issue a 3:1 split this summer. Authorize a 2:1 split next January after earnings. Authorize a 2:1 split in the fall after the Cybertruck ramp is successful. Each time the shorts have to rush to cover.

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

If they only did a 5:1 split, it makes it a lot easier for them to issue additional splits later on which messes with the shorts a lot more than regular shareholders. Musk does not like short sellers at all and I could see him designing this to screw them over. In fact it could well be the primary motivation.

Issue a 3:1 split this summer. Authorize a 2:1 split next January after earnings. Authorize a 2:1 split in the fall after the Cybertruck ramp is successful. Each time the shorts have to rush to cover.
Interesting, I see what you mean about the shorts. I think, in the long term, the shorts will all be in trouble trying to bet against Tesla. I hope the Tesla stock volatility we have seen in the last year will go away now that Giga Berlin and Texas are online and running.

What about this modification:

Issue a 5:1 split this summer. Pre-authorize an up-to 3:1 split next January after earnings. Pre-authorize a 2:1 split in the fall after the Cybertruck and Tesla bot ramps are successful. Agreed, each time the shorts have to rush to cover.

Last edited:

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag

I never knew how ruthless @Ogre could be

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Issue a 5:1 split this summer. Pre-authorize an up-to 3:1 split next January after earnings. Pre-authorize a 2:1 split in the fall after the Cybertruck and Tesla bot ramps are successful. Agreed, each time the shorts have to rush to cover.
The company has a set number of shares. Each has a sort of serial number. The total number of shares is voted on by the existing shareholders. There are 2 ā€œpoolsā€ of shares if you will.

* Outstanding shares ā€” These are owned by shareholders.
* Treasury shares ā€” held by the company and not issued to investors.

Teslaā€™s board can vote on a split without shareholder approval. But to split the stock, the board needs enough shares in the treasury to issue them to the shareholders. So if there are 1 billion shares outstanding, and the company does a 5:1 split, they need 4 billion shares in the treasury to issue to the shareholders.

Right now Tesla only has enough shares in the treasury to issue 0.9 shares for every share outstanding (from memory might be off). This announcement isnā€™t actually announcing a split. Teslaā€˜s board is having the shareholders vote to increase the number of shares in the treasury. Once that is done, the board can issue a simple vote to declare a ā€œshare dividendā€/ split.

The board could request 20 billion shares be added to the treasury, then do a 5:1 split. That leaves 16 billion shares in the treasury. The board can do a simple board vote to declare another split at any time at that point.

Sorry this is getting longā€¦ point is, what you suggest would be entirely possible with a single shareholder vote. Once the shares are issued, additional splits are a simple board vote which are easier and can be done pretty much any time. The only reason we need this vote is because Tesla ran out of treasury shares.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If we get 300 days like today, Iā€™ll buy a Cybertruck for everyone who likes this post.
Alasā€¦ we are no closer even though 2 days have passed since then. Hopefully tomorrow.

Iā€™m pulling for you guys even though it will cost me dearly.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
it is similar to watching water boil. We know the end state, just get there already.
Sponsored