Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I actually just pulled up a map because I didn't know if we had any and there are actually 2 in my town (about 60,000 people). But we also have a supercharger at the mall and surprisingly a lot of J1772 chargers that I never knew about.
I always love the charging conversations in person. People will complain about not having any charging locations near them, but then I bring up Plugshare with Tesla, CCS, and J-1772 showing and completely blow there mind.
Sponsored

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Will manufacturers such as Lectron be modifying their CCS adapters to accommodate this issue, what will happen to all the Tesla CCS adapters that all already been purchased (consumers get refunded or get new adapters to fit properly? ) :unsure:

lowtek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plaid
Occupation
I do things.
Country flag
Will manufacturers such as Lectron be modifying their CCS adapters to accommodate this issue, what will happen to all the Tesla CCS adapters that all already been purchased (consumers get refunded or get new adapters to fit properly? ) :unsure:
Why would they? Everybody is moving to NACS, CCS will just fade away ...

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I used to use plugshare to look for some J1772 plugs if i really needed help but those days have long since stopped.
Exactly. Six years ago when my wife and I were lucky enough to get our first Tesla, only 10% of the Superchargers we have today even existed. I tried CCS charging a couple of times but it never worked for me and there were a myriad of apps and accounts I needed, one for each third party system. Besides, I never got one of those CCS chargers to send me a single electron. So I gave up on CCS six years ago and have been happily charging on Superchargers exclusively for 6 years.

Neither my wife or I have ever felt the need in the last 6 years to charge any of our three Tesla with anything but the Supercharger Network. And there are 10 times as many Superchargers as when we first started so convenience has never been better.

The fact that Cybertruck doesn't work with a dying standard is not surprising. Why prolong the pain of it all? The bonafide fast DC charging standard has ALWAYS been the Tesla standard, even if the CCS commitees and standards bodies tried to make something different from what Tesla was already doing back in 2012.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why would they? Everybody is moving to NACS, CCS will just fade away ...
Thank goodness! I always thought it was a travesty the way legacy auto tried to isolate Tesla Superchargers back in the day by standardizing upon a worse standard, CCS, and using a really lame excuse that it was backward compatible with the 150 EV's on the road designed to use J1772.

Now they come on their knees to use what Tesla built using money from Tesla sales.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is really concerning. Tesla needs to release a CCS adaptor ASAP. It's ludicrous to assume that CCS is dead and CT owners will only need superchargers going forward.

Literally what is the point of a truck if you can't take it to remote places where there are no super chargers? These places all have CCS charging available.
I'm so glad N. America will finally have a single unitized fast charging standard (and Level 1 and 2 as well), that can be used by every EV. You don't seem to understand that CCS is a dying standard in N. America. The minority of existing EV's that need CCS can use NACS adapters. NACS equipped EV's are already the vast majority of existing EVs on N. American roads.

I've not needed a CCS adapter in the last 6 years, why do you think I would need one now when there are more Superchargers than ever? Unless the third-party charge networks want a shrinking customer base, they will equip their fast chargers with the standard NACS plugs and protocols. That's why Tesla gifted it to the EV industry, to end the fractured situation that previously existed and accelerate the adoption of electric over gas and diesel.

What is it you don't understand about this?

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Let's step back a little, because evidently most people haven't seen a CCS charger.

Before CCS, (way before) there was CHAdeMO, mostly Japanese, but since Nissan was about the only one building anything, it was the first big standard. There were hundreds of CHAdeMO chargers in the United States, That's what the Leaf is using.
The Leaf also supported J-1772 which is a L2 AC charging standard.

But around the same time, and with competing standards fighting it out, Tesla came up with the to be NACS solution, and they deployed lots and lots of these. Tesla supported the J-1772 protocol as well. There were many more of these out there because they were cheap and easy to deploy.

Then CCS came around in Europe, now don't be confused and thing that it's the same as we use in North America. But there were a number of non-Tesla vehicles being built in Europe that was using CCS. Tesla capitulated and moved to CCS for Europe.
Thing that you need to remember about Europe is that houses are fed with 3-phase power.

The CCS standard is a combined connector, of a high-speed only connector, similar to CHAdeMO and a J-1772 European connector. And that's why CCS in Europe is different, the J-1772 connector has three pins to support 3-phase power, US J-1772 only has 2.

But CHAdeMO, being an Asian standard and really big plug, didn't support the modern power needs (more than 50kW). CCS NA was born to support the higher needs and many American manufacturers picked it up.

BACK TO POINT
Tesla first came out with a CHAdeMO adapter. That's because there were mostly CHAdeMO pedestals out there.

At this point, most chargers were CHAdeMO or Tesla. Tesla didn't need CCS, because their plug was smaller and supported the power needs. So the third-party charging solution decided to add a CCS plug to their chargers.

And slowly, there was more CCS pedestals than CHAdeMO, because Leaf sales were decreasing. And we now have what are commonly CCS locations with a few CHAdeMO pedestals. There are still a LOT of Leafs on the road.

Oh, and all this happened in only about 8 years or less.

And now with NACS the defacto standard, the CCS locations will be adding another plug and have maybe triple plug pedestals.

But unless something changes, we can expect that the Leafs will dwindle, then the CCS only vehicles will dwindle and then NACS only pedestals, but that's probably at least 7 years from now. (the Leafs and CCS only folks will always be able to use J-1772)

As the adapter, yes everyone will probably eventually have a Tesla version. But the bigger deal isn't CCS it will be access to 800V CCS.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
They'll continue to work with 400v Teslas? Of which there are millions?

It only doesn't work with 800v Teslas, aka the Cybertruck, and never said it did.

I don't understand your question.

-Crissa

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Cyber ccs adapter coming soon I bet.

Sasmania

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
PY holding me over till TRI CT
Occupation
FlagstaffRentalCabin.com & TeslaRenter.com
Country flag
This is a massive problem!

The CT WAS going to be the best road-tripper of all Teslas.

500 miles range, Fast Charging Curve, the ability to go Off-Road where no other Telsa could go.

Reality:

It's now the WORST to Road-Trip, by FAR.

300 miles range. Slow Charging Curve. Inefficient compared to other Teslas.
And now.... it can't even charge in remote locations that CCS enables??

If you really want to EXPLORE, you need every option available. Yes NACS is 100X better than CCS but it's in a LOT of locations that NACS isn't. It will take YEARS for this to be overcome.

I've done a 48 State Road Trip in a Tesla. The ONLY state besides Hawaii I haven't been to in a Tesla is Alaska. There are LOTS of CCS up there and almost zero SuperChargers. Guess that dream is dead for 3-5+ years. Lame.

Tesla needs to fix this relatively soon. Way to cripple the usefulness of it's only Adventure Vehicle.

As it stands, the CT will be in last place for adventure travel when compared to Rivian, Ford, Chevy, Ram which will ALL be able to charge on both CCS and NACS later this year. Was anyone expecting CT to be the least capable fast-charging truck on the market??

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
This is a massive problem!

The CT WAS going to be the best road-tripper of all Teslas.

500 miles range, Fast Charging Curve, the ability to go Off-Road where no other Telsa could go.

Reality:

It's now the WORST to Road-Trip, by FAR.

300 miles range. Slow Charging Curve. Inefficient compared to other Teslas.
And now.... it can't even charge in remote locations that CCS enables??

If you really want to EXPLORE, you need every option available. Yes NACS is 100X better than CCS but it's in a LOT of locations that NACS isn't. It will take YEARS for this to be overcome.

I've done a 48 State Road Trip in a Tesla. The ONLY state besides Hawaii I haven't been to in a Tesla is Alaska. There are LOTS of CCS up there and almost zero SuperChargers. Guess that dream is dead for 3-5+ years. Lame.

Tesla needs to fix this relatively soon. Way to cripple the usefulness of it's only Adventure Vehicle.

As it stands, the CT will be in last place for adventure travel when compared to Rivian, Ford, Chevy, Ram which will ALL be able to charge on both CCS and NACS later this year. Was anyone expecting CT to be the least capable fast-charging truck on the market??
The CCS adapter wasn't available for any of the other Teslas when they started production. The Cybertruck needs an updated adapter to support 800V charging.

Charging curve is probably going to be optimized. The fact that this is a much heavier truck means that more power has to be onboarded when you charge, just like any other truck.

They've been available to the public for 2 weeks now, give them a little chance.

And if you want to shorten your trips while travelling, don't charge as high, run the battery low and hit more Superchargers, it WILL decrease your travel times.

Sasmania

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
PY holding me over till TRI CT
Occupation
FlagstaffRentalCabin.com & TeslaRenter.com
Country flag
The CCS adapter wasn't available for any of the other Teslas when they started production. The Cybertruck needs an updated adapter to support 800V charging.

Charging curve is probably going to be optimized. The fact that this is a much heavier truck means that more power has to be onboarded when you charge, just like any other truck.

They've been available to the public for 2 weeks now, give them a little chance.

And if you want to shorten your trips while travelling, don't charge as high, run the battery low and hit more Superchargers, it WILL decrease your travel times.
As long as a new one is coming this year, all is good. But communication was never a Tesla's strong point. LOL

Strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Holdens, Mach-e, Bronco
Country flag
Exactly. Six years ago when my wife and I were lucky enough to get our first Tesla, only 10% of the Superchargers we have today even existed. I tried CCS charging a couple of times but it never worked for me and there were a myriad of apps and accounts I needed, one for each third party system. Besides, I never got one of those CCS chargers to send me a single electron. So I gave up on CCS six years ago and have been happily charging on Superchargers exclusively for 6 years.

Neither my wife or I have ever felt the need in the last 6 years to charge any of our three Tesla with anything but the Supercharger Network. And there are 10 times as many Superchargers as when we first started so convenience has never been better.

The fact that Cybertruck doesn't work with a dying standard is not surprising. Why prolong the pain of it all? The bonafide fast DC charging standard has ALWAYS been the Tesla standard, even if the CCS commitees and standards bodies tried to make something different from what Tesla was already doing back in 2012.
My area of the Midwest is a complete charging desert, so need all options. So there is a need. CCS out here generally works maybe because not used that often?

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My area of the Midwest is a complete charging desert, so need all options. So there is a need. CCS out here generally works maybe because not used that often?
True, the Midwest is a few years behind the East Coast and a couple more years behind the West Coast. It's not a problem to travel through, but if you are traveling within the area, you could wish for more locations, and more choices for more convenience.

I just think it's amazing the way a little startup automaker was able to self-fund a worldwide and world-class charging network while legacy auto has basically nothing. Just think if each of them had built one-quarter the chargers Tesla did, we would have fast EV chargers coming out of our ears! The truth is, legacy auto is being disingenuous when they claim they want to electrify. It's all just talk to placate regulators. Tesla did it because it's their mission to electrify the world.

Tesla locates chargers in proportion to fleet needs. If the Midwest had adopted EVs at the same rates as the East and the West, they would have a lot more Superchargers. But 10% of all the gasoline in the U.S. is comprised of corn alcohol, almost exclusively grown and distilled in the Midwest so there is an anti-EV sentiment that runs deep, propogated by the fuel alcohol industry. Financial interest who stand to lose are farmers and big agriculture, distillers, fuel transporters, fertilizer companies, farm equipment manufacturers, ag trucking, etc.

It takes a lot of equipment, energy and manpower to grow and transport all that corn, distill it and transport the alcohol to be blended with gasoline. EV's will disrupt that industry in a big way. This is one more way EV's reduce the amount of energy we need to power civilization. Charging cars directly from solar electricity is the future because it eliminates so many intermediate steps, so much inefficient mucking about getting and refining oil and alcohol.
Sponsored

Last edited: