Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
If someone could build a side x side utv similar to a 6 seater polaris ranger but using battery and tech from tesla, I'd buy it. I love my gas powered polaris ranger, but it would be even better if it electrified with tech that isn't 20 years old like the current electric polaris ranger offering. To be able to use a quiet ranger at the deer lease that I don't have to change fluids on or worry about the slip clutch going out would be awesome.
Maybe their 'rEVit' initiative will include an electric version of the one you want.

Zero's controllers and motors are very good and their batteries are not 20 years old.
Sponsored

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
Maybe their 'rEVit' initiative will include an electric version of the one you want.

Zero's controllers and motors are very good and their batteries are not 20 years old.
Polaris isn't using zero right now. They have lead acid batteries that aren't even maintenance free. You have to top off the water in the batteries. That is what I was referring to as 20 year old tech.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Polaris isn't using zero right now. They have lead acid batteries that aren't even maintenance free. You have to top off the water in the batteries. That is what I was referring to as 20 year old tech.
Oh, I know Polaris is not using Zero yet. I was more saying that although Zero is not Tesla, they have much more modern batteries than Polaris is currently using (sounds like old golf cart batteries).

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Rich Rebuilds has a YT video where he made one. You could send him a message in Twitter and ask him
Yamaha frame, Zero motorcycle drive train... seemed to perform REALLY well.

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
Oh, I know Polaris is not using Zero yet. I was more saying that although Zero is not Tesla, they have much more modern batteries than Polaris is currently using (sounds like old golf cart batteries).
OK. I misread your intent on that post. I'd fully welcome any modern power supply and drivetrain in the form factor of a 6 seater UTV. I'd prefer it be in a polaris as they are the most versatile and accessorized UTV on the planet. If zero wants to make an electrified Polaris Ranger or Can Am UTV clone, I'd be very interested.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Zero uses Farisis batteries, which follows in Tesla's footsteps, at least for the nigh-nickel batteries.

Zero's motors are pretty durable. They have long maintenance cycles. So much so that Zero spare parts (specifically the power train) is nearly impossible to get on the used market. Rich isn't the only one scooping them up. And they're partnering with Exro to make a coil driver motor next...

-Crissa

Can-Am bought Brammo, who made bikes as good or better than Zero. But so far only prototypes have shown up,

OP
OP
myco.rrhizae

myco.rrhizae

First Name
Myco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 4.9L, Chevy Volt, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Carpenter
Country flag
this is sooooOo dope. did you see that he used a Zero motor he suspects is the same one in the prototype!? that thing rips!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

jcryer3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Ram Promaster
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
I would hope that if you buy it at the same time as the Cybertruck, it would have a special price. I have no idea what these typical things cost. Anybody think $10,000 is about right?

BigDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y LR, Cyber Truck to come
Country flag
I'm really concerned about the dynamics of this (although I love it). The bars are way too low to provide the rider with proper leverage to handle the machine. If left like this I fear there will be a litany of riders getting tossed over the front. the rider needs to be able to get the center of gravity behind the bars more to resist being tossed forward. If you do a quick google search of quads (images) you'll see that the bar height is at around elbow level; and for good reason.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I'm really concerned about the dynamics of this (although I love it). The bars are way too low to provide the rider with proper leverage to handle the machine. If left like this I fear there will be a litany of riders getting tossed over the front. the rider needs to be able to get the center of gravity behind the bars more to resist being tossed forward. If you do a quick google search of quads (images) you'll see that the bar height is at around elbow level; and for good reason.
Center of gravity will depend a lot on where they put the battery pack. Bars are very easy to adjust/replace/reposition.

OP
OP
myco.rrhizae

myco.rrhizae

First Name
Myco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Carpenter
Country flag
Center of gravity will depend a lot on where they put the battery pack. Bars are very easy to adjust/replace/reposition.
He was referring to the rider's body's center of gravity, not the quad's.

OP
OP
myco.rrhizae

myco.rrhizae

First Name
Myco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Carpenter
Country flag
totally right, didnt think of that
Sponsored