Tesla Insurance rates for FSD vs non-FSD equipped?

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Is there anyone who has Tesla Insurance for similar vehicles with FSD purchased as well as FSD not purchased? I'm in a non-Tesla Insurance state and hope it comes to Arkansas soon. I'm curious whether Tesla has different rates for cars with and without FSD. I'm less interested whether using FSD lowers your rate, rather does Tesla charge more on cars that replacement cost would have to add FSD. My insurance company understandably has raised my rates as the cost of replacing my totaled vehicle would have to include FSD that is now four times as much compared to when I bought it.

Tesla however can add FSD to a replacement vehicle for $0 cost. It seems Tesla could insure both models for the same cost as to further undercut competitor insurance companies.

Anybody have examples?
Sponsored

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
Your premise would only be correct in situations where the vehicle is totaled and the person is required to buy another Tesla with the insurance proceeds. Since the second is not true, it does not generate any lower costs (at least not with any certainty).

WRT Tesla insurance, it has been my experience that the Tesla quotes are significantly higher than my current carrier(s) for the same coverage.

OP
OP
Rutrow

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Your premise would only be correct in situations where the vehicle is totaled and the person is required to buy another Tesla with the insurance proceeds. Since the second is not true, it does not generate any lower costs (at least not with any certainty).

WRT Tesla insurance, it has been my experience that the Tesla quotes are significantly higher than my current carrier(s) for the same coverage.
Yeah, you're right. Insurance cuts a check for the value of your car, they don't buy you a new one. I don't know what I was thinking (my wife is in insurance, I should know better🤪)

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Yeah, you're right. Insurance cuts a check for the value of your car, they don't buy you a new one. I don't know what I was thinking (my wife is in insurance, I should know better🤪)

That depends on the carrier and situation.
My private and business policies both carry a “one year newer” stipulation. The working fleet averages about 43000 miles per year and turns over every 3 so a payout on a truck is almost always a sizeable profit through depreciation and replacement value.

Human injuries are the real cost
I expect FSD is going to be a target for lawyers for a long time to come so I could see where the cost could he higher for FSD
Sponsored