Tesla Semi, PepsiCo, Sacramento, CA - details about specs, drivers, charging, route 200-450mi

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
-----------------------------------

Run On Less – Electric DEPOT – Pepsi Beverages
NACFE ( North American Council for Freight Efficiency )
August 2, 2023

----

PepsiCo Sacramento, California
Pepsi is deploying Tesla Semis at its Sacramento, CA location in long-haul applications with heavy loads. Trip distances are up to 450 miles on a single charge.

** see article at link for details about drivers, truck, charging, route

https://runonless.com/roled-profiles/pepsico/

Run on Less — Electric DEPOT
focus on how to go from one or two EVs to 15 or more.
https://runonless.com/electric-depot/

Electric Depot Education Bootcamp Training
https://runonless.com/electric-depot/electric-depot-bootcamp/

Sponsored

israndy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2012 Mitsubishi I-Miev, 2x 2007 Vectrix VX-1, 2000 Honda Insight, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired from IT
Country flag
With all the talk of Tesla front loading the range display on the cars it would be interesting if they do that on the trucks too. People have been asking me for years what my range per charge is and I say the ~300 mile number on the display when I hit 100% charge, but I don't ever get that, first I never charge to 100% on a road trip, usually 92% is where the charge really curls under, and I never (well once) drove the car to zero so I am usually pulling in at 10%, so that's already removing 18% of that 100% charge.

Then there's the fact that I don't actually get that range, but I don't notice, I say "will I make it to Fresno?" and the car finds a Supercharger along the route and I stop there. I don't think "Gee, it's not even 200 miles to Fresno, why am I stopping along the way?" I think, "Glad I won't run out of power while I am in Fresno thanks to that extra Supercharge along the way"

Looking back over my trips I probably always max out around 200 miles before stopping. I remember going from Hines, OR to Alturas, CA and flipping out that I wouldn't make it when road construction held me up for an hour and that's STILL not 200 miles. These Semi guys talk about 450 miles but I wonder what their actual route calls for. Especially since some of them have that half-hour midday charge from 10-90%

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I remember going from Hines, OR to Alturas, CA and flipping out that I wouldn't make it when road construction held me up for an hour and...
...Going slower you get more range. Construction and traffic extend how far you can drive in an EV.

-Crissa

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
...Going slower you get more range. Construction and traffic extend how far you can drive in an EV.

-Crissa
Unless the AC or Heat is CRANKED! ;)

I mean, my Leaf gets so little range to begin with, add Heat or Air... I think the most I have seen it use sitting with AC or Heat is 1.7kW... when you only have 40 kWh (when new)... it steals miles fast...

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Unless the AC or Heat is CRANKED! ;)

I mean, my Leaf gets so little range to begin with, add Heat or Air... I think the most I have seen it use sitting with AC or Heat is 1.7kW... when you only have 40 kWh (when new)... it steals miles fast...
Sure, but that's at most that per hour, which is the equivalent of going what, ten miles an hour faster?

You could sit there and do nothing but ump heat into your cabin at that rate for almost twenty-four hours!

But the thing is, the Cybertruck will have twice as much batter and not cost any more to heat, while it gets fewer miles per kWh, so it'll be like going what, six miles an hour faster?

And it could do that for *three days* before conking out.

-Crissa
Sponsored