Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
I'll bet the V3 is CharIN HPC350 compatible or could be made so by adding modules in series.
For anyone not sure what ajdelange was talking about:
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Supercharger V3 Network is being upgraded to 300 kW for faster charging 1626371980430
https://www.charin.global/technology/knowledge-base/

FC= Fast Charge (most of the 50kWh chargers out there), DCL = DC charge Legacy (mostly those 6kWh chargers at dealerships) UFC=Ultra Fast Charge, HPC = High Power Charge

https://www.charin.global/media/pag...83-1624010965/charin_dc_ccs_power_classes.pdf
Sponsored

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Superchargers are a lot different than gas stations. Most likely you will never see a Supercharger busy on a non-holiday weekday.
For example this afternoon where Kearney has 8/8; Woodbrige 6/8 and Tarrytown 11/12 occupancy at 14:30

From PlugShare RE Paramus: ā€œTesla needs to expand and upgrade the Paramus Supercharger. Wait times are getting longer and longer with each visit. Charging speeds are getting slower.ā€

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
But I have been to others where I have been the only car there for the entire charge period. Guess you are out near Pittsburgh and don't know how it is out there but in the NY metro area congestion is real. Yet supposedly nothing compared to the left coast where most of the Teslas are.

garyquezada

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla Supercharger V3 Network is being upgraded to 300 kW for faster charging

BySimon Alvarez
Posted on July 15, 2021

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has confirmed that the Supercharger V3 Network is being upgraded from its existing 250 kW peak output to an even more impressive 300 kW. This should allow Teslaā€™s electric vehicles to recharge faster than ever before, making them even more convenient and viable for long-distance travel.

Elon Muskā€™s update came as a response to a Twitter post from electric vehicle advocate @jpr007, who shared the results of Car and Driverā€˜s 1,000-mile EV test. The motoring publicationā€™s ā€œEV 1000ā€ event involved 11 vehicles that were tasked to go through a 1,000-mile journey. Three Teslas were used in the test: a ā€œRavenā€ Model S Long Range, a Model 3 Performance, and a Model Y Performance. All three dominated the competition.

In his response, Musk explained that the new Tesla Model S Long Range would have performed even better as it has more range and faster charging capabilities. The CEO also mentioned that the Model 3 Long Range and Model Y Long Range should have been used in the test instead of the Performance variants, as those vehicles were optimized for maximum range.

Musk then dropped a notable update, stating that the Tesla Supercharger Network is being upgraded from 250 kW to 300 kW. This is something that would most definitely be appreciated by Tesla owners, especially considering that the Supercharger Network ā€” even in its present state and even if one considers its older V2 chargers ā€” is already one of the best rapid-charging systems in the market.

Teslaā€™s Supercharger V3, which was unveiled in March 2019, features a 1MW power cabinet and peak charge rates of up to 250 kW per car. More importantly, Supercharger V3 stations do not split power between nearby vehicles, which meant that every user of the network is able to charge at the full power their battery can take. In Teslaā€™s blog post about the chargers, the company noted that a Model 3 Long Range operating at peak efficiency should be able to charge up to 75 miles of range in 5 minutes with V3 Superchargers.

Provided that a vehicleā€™s battery is warmed up and conditions are optimal, Tesla estimated that typical Supercharger V3 stops would last about 15 minutes. With peak rates of up to 300 kW, however, this time is likely going to drop even more. And considering that an internal combustion vehicle typically takes about 5 minutes to refuel, Teslaā€™s Supercharger Network V3 upgrade will likely be a definitive step forward for the transportation sectorā€™s transition to sustainable vehicles.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-supercharger-v3-300kw-upgrade-confirmed-elon-musk/
Everything sounds great with one exception: how am I going to charge my cybertruck when I am towing my 20 feet long boat?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Everything sounds great with one exception: how am I going to charge my cybertruck when I am towing my 20 feet long boat?
If you don't tow your boat more than ~70 miles from home, you should be able to just charge it at home, go to the lake and back then charge when you return. With the tri motor you can probably manage 125 miles out and back. It might be a little worse than that.

Failing that, there are some Superchargers stations with pull in stalls. Try not to show up when it's busy or you might end up waiting a long time.

Hopefully Tesla makes some more towing friendly stations, currently its 1 towing friendly stall at each Supercharger station. And many of those won't accommodate a big boat unless you are quite skilled at driving and back it up.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Superchargers are a lot different than gas stations. Most likely you will never see a Supercharger busy on a non-holiday weekday.
Eventually, gas stations will turn into charging stations. It may take a while, but mark my words. That is, if they want to stay relevant (see "in the dough")

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
How long does it take to decouple/couple a boat trailer? It is a PITA but thinking about it I'm wondering if it isn't less of a PITA than trying to manoeuvre boat and trailer into even a pull through stall. My boat trailering journey is 0.7 mi long so it's not something I'll ever have to worry about.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Eventually, gas stations will turn into charging stations. It may take a while, but mark my words. That is, if they want to stay relevant (see "in the dough")
Maybe. I've seen some right next door to each other. I've also been to a single stall charging spot at a gas stations.

Until they get charging speeds well below 20 minutes, they aren't really compatible though.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Iā€™m not so sureā€¦The nature of charging an EV is different. You donā€™t think about it like filling a gas car because you donā€™t need to be present while charging an EV. I think we will see a shift to chargers being at destinations or destinations being created for the chargers. You already see this happening. Supermarkets, malls, hotels, restaurants. I feel like their is opportunities here for Starbucks. Do a deal with Tesla, put superchargers in your locations where possible, wall chargers when space constrainedā€¦ what business doesnā€™t want a customer essentially trapped right by their business?

I think a lot of gas stations will gradually close. Some may adapt and become destinations and some that are on major corridors will become charging stations (many already are).

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Iā€™m not so sureā€¦The nature of charging an EV is different. You donā€™t think about it like filling a gas car because you donā€™t need to be present while charging an EV. I think we will see a shift to chargers being at destinations or destinations being created for the chargers. You already see this happening. Supermarkets, malls, hotels, restaurants. I feel like their is opportunities here for Starbucks. Do a deal with Tesla, put superchargers in your locations where possible, wall chargers when space constrainedā€¦ what business doesnā€™t want a customer essentially trapped right by their business?

I think a lot of gas stations will gradually close. Some may adapt and become destinations and some that are on major corridors will become charging stations (many already are).
Seems to me movie theaters would be a natural fit for EVs. They wouldn't even need to have the high speed chargers, just a bunch of Level 2 chargers. I've definitely gone shopping at some places with Superchargers which I wouldn't have otherwise stopped at.

Another good one. Zoos and aquariums. This would be perfect for people on road trips.

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Seems to me movie theaters would be a natural fit for EVs. They wouldn't even need to have the high speed chargers, just a bunch of Level 2 chargers. I've definitely gone shopping at some places with Superchargers which I wouldn't have otherwise stopped at.

Another good one. Zoos and aquariums. This would be perfect for people on road trips.
Yep! The options are endless.

It's a bit of a shift in mindset but once people realize, oh crap I just go do normal shit and plug in, the penny drops. Suddenly the need for the 5 minute charging time doesn't seem as important.
Sponsored