ModelAZ

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Ordered
Country flag
Tesla prepares to support third-party apps – Tesla App Store coming?

Tesla is preparing to officially support third-party apps, according to an update to its user settings on its website. Are we about to finally see a Tesla App Store?

The idea of a Tesla App Store to let third-party apps run on Tesla vehicles is far from new. Since Tesla launched the Model S in 2012, the automaker has talked on and off about releasing a software development kit (SDK) to create a full third-party app ecosystem on its giant center touchscreens.

Rest of article -- https://electrek.co/2023/06/28/tesla-third-party-apps-app-store-coming/
Sponsored

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
You want to use the Tesla nav since it is incredible for trips with directing you to SC sites. Takes all range anxiety away as it oversees you trip and battery management.

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
text and calls are all handled via bluetooth to the phone.. however since most tesla owners use their phone as a key.. and have their cell as the preferred Bluetooth mate.. this is auto paired..

texts are text to voice.. so when you get one press the left thumb wheel and tesla reads the text message.. press the right thumb-wheel and tell her to respond with .. and your response... hit the button again and it sends the text.. it is all handled without ever having to look away from or let go of the steering wheel.

as far as the maps/navigation go.. the maps have been really good for me.. and since it is a live system you get auto updates.. assuming you spring 100 bucks a year for premium connectivity the map will show colors to indicate current traffic on your route

adding waypoints is just a matter of pressing the voice button <right thumb-wheel> and saying navigate to .. and where you want to go.. then clicking add as way point

you can add charging stations just by clicking on the map to show them.. then clicking the one you want.. and add as new endpoint or waypoint

rearranging way-points is simplistic.

this is a pretty good write up on tesla's map system.. i had garmins for a LONG time in my cars... and they were VERY good for navigation.. but i have to say i prefer what tesla is doing now.. as you never have to worry about updating the maps..

https://teslatuneup.com/does-tesla-use-google-maps/

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Thats my only gripe on the software.
you’ll get used to it, ish but if you really love carplay like I do, you’ll miss it. Luckily there are a myriad of ways to mount your phone to the big screen

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
Thats my only gripe on the software.
you’ll get used to it, ish but if you really love carplay like I do, you’ll miss it. Luckily there are a myriad of ways to mount your phone to the big screen
there are aftermarket made adaptors to mount a phone on EVERY other model of tesla so i am sure they will have one on the CT right at release.