The Conundrum

Ranulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor
Country flag
Recently, my car was totaled. I really loved that thing but I couldn’t justify shelling out the money for body work when I already was anticipating some major repairs in the drive train. So I ended up selling it to a mechanic who loves doing that kind of work in his spare time.

Problem is, I was planning on driving that thing until I bought the CT. I don’t want to buy a new car, but the “family loaner” has 225,000 miles on it and its showing its age. It might not last till my number comes up.

Buying a new car would cut into my CT savings efforts big time. However, with how well M3s and MYs are holding their value….I was thinking of maybe getting one of those and trading it in when the time comes.

Anyone else find themselves in this situation? Am I crazy for trying to wait for the CT?

Would I lose too much money from depreciation if I bought a 3 or Y now?
Sponsored

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
A lease may be an option depending on your place in line.

Lease
Cheaper used car
Cheaper new car
MOTORCYCLE
just tell everyone you got a dui and use public transportation

i went the cheaper used car, found myself needing to replace a car last November.

Stinkd

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius V5, 1948 Bus, Mercedes SL500
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Recently my 2012 Toyota Prius V3 suddenly needed it's engine fixed. I already had $6400 saved for the CT, but I needed a car to travel with, so I bought a 2014 Prius V5 with 61,000 miles. Now, I am going to hold off on buying my CT, for an extra year or two after my reservation number comes up.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Lease or buy a Y, trade it in for a CT. Honestly something I wish I could do right now.

They hold nearly 100% of their value and Tesla will give you that value, you might be able to get more from a third party though.

OP
OP

Ranulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor
Country flag
My only fear is what will happen when Giga Texas goes into volume production of the Y. Will we start seeing the Y depreciate more, as they will be easier to buy new?

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
My only fear is what will happen when Giga Texas goes into volume production of the Y. Will we start seeing the Y depreciate more, as they will be easier to buy new?
Sell the “family loaner”. Let the family choose the next car of their dreams. Drive that. CT arrives turnback the dream car into “ family loaner”.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
The other side of coin, BUY the Y.

All the validation and ‘convincing’ you need. Think of the endorphin rush when you click buy?

Tesla Cybertruck The Conundrum cybertruckproduction

Tesla Cybertruck The Conundrum cybertruckproduction copy

Last edited by a moderator:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There are a couple threads about buying a Model 3 or Model Y in the meanwhile... I am not sure how to find them.

Basically, the math changes based upon your personal conditions.

You need a vehicle, we're nine months out from the first 50k or so Cybertrucks, your family lender is... not so good.

What sort of budget can you manage? Can you find someone to take up the payments when your truck is ready? How much value will a purchase retain?

You might even look at the used EV market, there's some deals there if you don't have to jump today.

-Crissa