Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I was putting together a list of overlanding stuff (I remake one from time to time) and realized there might be things you might find on some people's camping/overlanding packing list that might not be needed with a CyberTruck.

• Generator
  • Solar Panel
  • Hot Spot/Internet connection
  • Tent
  • Oil
  • Gas
  • Coolant
  • Transmission fluid
  • Spark plugs, spark cables
  • Air compressor
  • Spare 12 volt battery

Yes, I am assuming staying in the truck (vault or cabin) and potentially using an RV spot all/some nights as the 'base' camp so recharging is possible.

What else do you think you might not need that you would take on a camping or overlanding trip with another vehicle (say like a Jeep Wrangler 4door or Jeep Gladiator)?
Sponsored

OP
OP
ldjessee

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
My list is of things you MIGHT NOT need if you have a CyberTruck. My list of stuff that I will still need includes FirstAid.

What was it that you took to Baja that you think you would not need if you were taking a CyberTruck?

I never got down to Baja, but my mother has taken her Jeep there several times, so I only have 2nd hand knowledge.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Int'l CyberTruck MUST have universal electrical DONGLE for foreign electricity standard plugs!
Int'l ver. MUST have self-regulating onboard charging circuitry to handle unstable and varying voltages on grid.
Int'l ver. MUST have theft-proof umbilical extension cords for leaving unattended overnight to charge.

CONUS CyberTrucks feature as Optional a 2nd backup 12v battery to prevent flatbed hauling out of the desert when a battery does go dead.

I'll be in Central and South America which will require extended umbilical extension cords to the nearest point of service.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Idjessee responded to a comment I made and deleted above, because I realized after I posted, that his thread title was THINGS MIGHT NOT need with CT. I had actually been thinking earlier today about how great a Cybertruck would be when I used to drive all over Baja, Windsurfing. An interesting thought came to me. Why not have a Portable wind generator to charge up the vehicle while camping. I looked at it just a bit this morning and there are portable generators for hikers even. Interesting accessory idea!

OP
OP
ldjessee

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I have seen them on sail boats to help trickle charge their batteries, but I have not seen how much they provide... and also, they tend to be out where the wind is... at campgrounds, at least where I am at, there are trees and such in the way... might need a sectioned pole and some wires to get it high enough to get the best wind...

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
You might be able to add water jug to the list...

OP
OP
ldjessee

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That would be interesting to see how much water could be produced. I could definitely bring less water, which would be some weight and space savings.

Deleted member 3316

The Cybertruck would definitely change the packing list for overlanding. With all that power available induction cooktops and beer kegs will be the norm.
Not needing different fuel types, gasoline diesel and Propane is going to make life simpler. Spare parts won’t take up much room either... more room for a angle grinder and an arc welder!

Deleted member 3316

What else do you think you might not need that you would take on a camping or overlanding trip with another vehicle (say like a Jeep Wrangler 4door or Jeep Gladiator)?
If the air suspension can be controlled independently, we should be able to leave the high lift jack at home.

OP
OP
ldjessee

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Maybe!

I thought about it, but not sure how likely some issue with maintaining air pressure when off-roading (blown seal, valve, etc).

And even though very unlikely for there to be any fire, still going to bring a fire extinguisher.

OverlandCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KIA sportage, Honda CRV
Occupation
student
Country flag
I was putting together a list of overlanding stuff (I remake one from time to time) and realized there might be things you might find on some people's camping/overlanding packing list that might not be needed with a CyberTruck.

• Generator
  • Solar Panel
  • Hot Spot/Internet connection
  • Tent
  • Oil
  • Gas
  • Coolant
  • Transmission fluid
  • Spark plugs, spark cables
  • Air compressor
  • Spare 12 volt battery

Yes, I am assuming staying in the truck (vault or cabin) and potentially using an RV spot all/some nights as the 'base' camp so recharging is possible.

I actually think that solar panels would be very useful for many overlanders, whether theyre integrated or aftermarket to charge the battery. this allows you to be completely independent from a base camp. Even if its just an extra 20 miles of range a day, itll be enough to get back to civilization if you drain your battery. when it comes to solar panels, the more the merrier (to an extent)

OverlandCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KIA sportage, Honda CRV
Occupation
student
Country flag
you could also replace all the propane powered stuff with electrical components, like propane stoves, skottles, etc.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
...Adventuresome will throw sleeping bags in the backseat, sleep pads, pillow, a mess kit and call it good. CT is more than equipped to haul your wet -soaked ass out of there in the middle of an unannounced monsoon downpour.

...Gearheads will sneak a second backup battery in the event the original drains itself *somehow. Tesla Guru's need post DIY battery-reset for a dead-as-doornail computer reboot procedure for a Tesla after replacing a dead battery. No Elon CT's aren't flatbedding back to Tesla Monday AM. Bad optics - bad!

...Overlanders won't venture afield without all their toys (staun airdown, Highlift jack, truck mounted tent, walkie-talkies, lightbars, refrigerator, shower system and remote 20K BTU kitchen kit) IOW ~$ 9k bolt-ons. Boy with the most toys wins!

...BoulevardBoys want Bling wheels, tires, lift and LED underbody lighting kits – screw camping until they get a sound system installed.

...Geeks don't camp; are known to meet up if someone has the Bomb camper they can just crash. At most RaspberryPi mods for lighting display around camp, GPS tracker and a margarita mixer.

...Pioneers (women and men) will just throw everything they own in the back, close the cover and meet up at a secret stash.

...Escapists want no outward appearance other than stock beyond a freezer vault mounted. They won't draw attention, crawl in the wee hours backcountry and in-place before sunrise. Pro's will have hiked 10 miles before sun even dawns.

RonM

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 CrewCab, future Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Idjessee responded to a comment I made and deleted above, because I realized after I posted, that his thread title was THINGS MIGHT NOT need with CT. I had actually been thinking earlier today about how great a Cybertruck would be when I used to drive all over Baja, Windsurfing. An interesting thought came to me. Why not have a Portable wind generator to charge up the vehicle while camping. I looked at it just a bit this morning and there are portable generators for hikers even. Interesting accessory idea!
Just found this thread and found a fellow windsurfer! I’m wondering if the vault can be closed, drop the rear seats, open the tailgate and slide in windsurfing gear? Have to be careful not to open the vault and chop the nose of the board!

OP
OP
ldjessee

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I assume that if the passthru is open, the vault cover will not move... in the Jay Leno CyberTruck video, the one new thing that was show was that with the tailgate down, Elon climbed up onto the cover and stood there.

So, even if not able to put inside, walking up there to load stuff on a roof rack seems very doable.
Sponsored