Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This African Company Wants To Take On The Tesla Cybertruck

MAR 15, 2021BY SEBASTIAN CENIZO ELECTRIC VEHICLES /

This should be interesting.

Ever since the Tesla Cybertruck was first announced, the internet has been ablaze with new rivals for a vehicle that doesn't even exist yet. We've seen Canoo's multipurpose alternative, GMC's Hummer revival, and Rivian's stunning R1T. But there clearly aren't enough electric pickups in the world yet, and an African company is now looking to break into this potentially highly lucrative market.

Mazibuko Motor Company is building its first battery-electric vehicle, called the M1B, and is claiming that the truck will be capable of 0-62 mph in under five seconds with a range of around 250 miles. Bold claims for a company from South Africa, but MMB has help from a big name in the industry.
Tesla Cybertruck This African Company Wants To Take On The Tesla Cybertruck 822168

Foxconn, the same company that manufactures the Apple iPhone, has joined forces with the new EV company to develop an open-source EV platform, the MiH EV Open Platform. This means that even if the M1B doesn't make production, the company could still be successful as a parts supplier. Thus, Mazibuko Motor Company has joined the MIH Alliance, which has prestigious partners like Amazon Web Services, Arm, CATL, DANA, Eaton, Microsoft, and others. Presumably, this new open-source platform will be the same one under the M1B, and although no working prototype has yet been produced, the claimed specs look pretty impressive.

Tesla Cybertruck This African Company Wants To Take On The Tesla Cybertruck 822170
Mazibuko Motor Company
Save
Tesla Cybertruck This African Company Wants To Take On The Tesla Cybertruck 822171
Mazibuko Motor Company

Tesla Cybertruck This African Company Wants To Take On The Tesla Cybertruck 822170

Originally, Mazibuko Motor Company was claiming that the M1B would produce as much as 670 horsepower and 959 lb-ft of torque with that aforementioned range of around 250 miles, thanks to a 120-kWh battery. Interestingly, the MMC platform being offered for open source use doesn't have the same abilities. It seems that two options, a front-wheel-drive and an AWD platform, will be available, starting with around 174 hp and 184 lb-ft of torque. We'll have to wait for more info to see what success these offerings have, but it's encouraging to see new innovators joining the game. The more competition there is, the better and more affordable EVs could become.
Tesla Cybertruck This African Company Wants To Take On The Tesla Cybertruck 822172

SOURCE: CARBUZZ
Sponsored

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
I’ll believe it when they actually make one vehicle that works, non the less mass produce it. I’ve seen a bit to many “Elio motors” coming and going recently, asking for investors with barely a 3D rendering to show as proof of concept.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Sunset colors on a render? Bold.

-Crissa
Maybe intended to be a sunrise? Signifying the rise of a new truck/company.

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
The one thing I like about this is the prospect of having an open source hardware spec for EV companies. Even if they do just fade into a background supplier, that would be pretty cool.

Although, didn't Tesla open a large swath of their patents?
https://www.tesla.com/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong-you

*cough* copycat *cough*

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Not even a decent render... atleast nikola had decent renders :LOL:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I hope it's just that this is for a different market with a different astetic because I don't like it. The colorful panels, the wheels, the shape just doesn't work for what I think of as beautiful. That rear bumper makes the back look so terrible that I prefer the CT back, and that is the least appealing section of CT. How does that tailgate even open?

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
That rear bumper makes the back look so terrible that I prefer the CT back, and that is the least appealing section of CT. How does that tailgate even open?
I wonder what Sigmund Freud would say about so much focus on the back side of the vehicle.

I certainly wouldn't want to have anything to do with a truck that wouldn't pass Did's slap worthiness test. ;)

There is a crack on both sides of the tailgate that suggest it opens like a normal truck (I see a crack coming about me checking out the crack in the back).

I think this is so far from reality especially in U.S. that we may as well make our own renders and circulate.

I love the open source idea though.

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I wonder what Sigmund Freud would say about so much focus on the back side of the vehicle.

I certainly wouldn't want to have anything to do with a truck that wouldn't pass Did's slap worthiness test. ;)

There is a crack on both sides of the tailgate that suggest it opens like a normal truck (I see a crack coming about me checking out the crack in the back).

I think this is so far from reality especially in U.S. that we may as well make our own renders and circulate.

I love the open source idea though.
I am a gentleman.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I would expect some serious roo bars or the front end of an old steam train. This is Africa so the road kill could just as easily be the occupants of the truck instead of the elephant, rhino, hippo, or giraffe. And the accident could easily be followed up by lions, jaguar, hyenas, and a whole host of others. I’d think the CT would work well there. But maybe this truck is getting by with the huge bumpers.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
Sure - instant credibility. Why not call out the best? haha

edit in: That truck isn't a truck, it's a graphic of a truck that doesn't exist. They cannot go up against Tesla, as they don't have a vehicle yet. peace
Sponsored