Cybercarlson

First Name
T.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, M3, MY, New Beetle
Country flag
Good, but how about loosing the "display" part all together ?
there is only on thing on the dashboard important enought to earn that name......
Sponsored

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
The Honda-E interior and dash setup is the opposite philosophy of what Tesla does with their interiors. I don't see the CT doing anything like that. Too many buttons and things overall. For every button you place, that is one more wear part, one more set of wires, one more I/O layer for the software to interact with, and one more permanent function that goes against the philosophy of continuous improvement via software updates. I see the CT being just like the M3 and MY....one big touchscreen. I personally would like a screen in the corners of the a pillar (similar spot to where you look for side mirrors). I'm sure I would get used to whatever Tesla does for side view. Maybe the rearview "mirror" display will have a composite view and this becomes the place to look. It would be hard to teach myself to learn a different style of ensuring I can lane change...we were all taught to look in mirror, check blind spot, signal, repeat and then move over. Doing anything else will feel wrong.

There is one thing I like the most about the CT. Its design repeatedly departs from our basic instinct to mimic what we know. Instead of making a solution that mimics the current solution, the proper way to engineer something is to ask the basic question "what problem does that thing solve".

Side mirrors are a part of a system of "things" that aid the driver to be aware of the space surrounding the vehicle. That system of "things" includes a rear view mirror, two side view mirrors, and taking your eye off the road in front of you to physically turn and look in your blind spot, and also the mental exercise of checking those mirrors constantly to catalog in your head where cars are in relation to your vehicle. If you can come up with a more simple overall solution that gives that same awareness or better, you've made a huge improvement. I'm banking on the CT to come up with a better overall solution for spatial awareness of the truck's surroundings.

The thing is, I would venture that the technology solution Tesla comes up with for awareness of your surroundings so you can lane change will probably be less stressful and less physical movement than what we do in our traditional automobiles. We will hate it at first or at least be uncomfortable but then when we later get in a traditional auto, we will wonder why it is so antiquated and takes such extreme effort to drive safely.

OP
OP
Bigvbear

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Honda-E
Tesla Cybertruck This is how i want my CT dashboard 1591726734899

Tesla needs to up its game lol

quickrch

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford E350 Van, 2014 Ford Focus SE, 2015 Volkswagen Passat, 2006 Subaru Outback Legacy
Occupation
I count things
Country flag
I wonder if that would be difficult to tolerate in the dark or rain. My eyes would get fatigued with all that. Maybe 20 years ago I'd like all that shining at me...Does it allow you to shut off 2/3 of it? If so, I'd like it.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
The Honda-E interior and dash setup is the opposite philosophy of what Tesla does with their interiors. I don't see the CT doing anything like that. Too many buttons and things overall. For every button you place, that is one more wear part, one more set of wires, one more I/O layer for the software to interact with, and one more permanent function that goes against the philosophy of continuous improvement via software updates. I see the CT being just like the M3 and MY....one big touchscreen. I personally would like a screen in the corners of the a pillar (similar spot to where you look for side mirrors). I'm sure I would get used to whatever Tesla does for side view. Maybe the rearview "mirror" display will have a composite view and this becomes the place to look. It would be hard to teach myself to learn a different style of ensuring I can lane change...we were all taught to look in mirror, check blind spot, signal, repeat and then move over. Doing anything else will feel wrong.

There is one thing I like the most about the CT. Its design repeatedly departs from our basic instinct to mimic what we know. Instead of making a solution that mimics the current solution, the proper way to engineer something is to ask the basic question "what problem does that thing solve".

Side mirrors are a part of a system of "things" that aid the driver to be aware of the space surrounding the vehicle. That system of "things" includes a rear view mirror, two side view mirrors, and taking your eye off the road in front of you to physically turn and look in your blind spot, and also the mental exercise of checking those mirrors constantly to catalog in your head where cars are in relation to your vehicle. If you can come up with a more simple overall solution that gives that same awareness or better, you've made a huge improvement. I'm banking on the CT to come up with a better overall solution for spatial awareness of the truck's surroundings.

The thing is, I would venture that the technology solution Tesla comes up with for awareness of your surroundings so you can lane change will probably be less stressful and less physical movement than what we do in our traditional automobiles. We will hate it at first or at least be uncomfortable but then when we later get in a traditional auto, we will wonder why it is so antiquated and takes such extreme effort to drive safely.
Simplicity is great. I hope there is some capability for voice commands as taking eyes off the road to look for stuff on a screen and then having the coordination to touch the icon in a moving, bouncing vehicle can be a challenge. I currently have right side camera in my honda and love it but sometimes it is hard to see when the sun is low and behind me. A HUD or small display in front of the steering wheel would be ideal for seeing the vehicles around me. However, looking slightly off to the side is not too bad.

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
Simplicity is great. I hope there is some capability for voice commands as taking eyes off the road to look for stuff on a screen and then having the coordination to touch the icon in a moving, bouncing vehicle can be a challenge. I currently have right side camera in my honda and love it but sometimes it is hard to see when the sun is low and behind me. A HUD or small display in front of the steering wheel would be ideal for seeing the vehicles around me. However, looking slightly off to the side is not too bad.
Voice commands in the Model 3 are great. Even with my mumble voice it doesn't miss a beat. Will even pick up little kids in back seat.
Turn on wind shield wipers, set temp, turn on fan, select music, open glove, etc. Pretty amazing.

EznAtx

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Durango
Occupation
Aimless Wandering
Country flag
I prefer a heads-up display projected onto the inside of the windshield. (and not the after-market displays on the market now.)

If that isn't available then something similar to the Spacex Dragon console. 2 or 3 horizontal panels, giving the passenger access to seat heater, local temp, and maybe even entertainment.

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
I prefer a heads-up display projected onto the inside of the windshield. (and not the after-market displays on the market now.)

If that isn't available then something similar to the Spacex Dragon console. 2 or 3 horizontal panels, giving the passenger access to seat heater, local temp, and maybe even entertainment.
I was thinking of something similar the other day. Tesla should make an add on accessory, basically a bluetooth tablet that can operate infotainment from the back seats. The kids could then from the back seat choose their music, doodle on the sketch pad, access the infotainment features, etc.
Of course would be limited to infotainment and would have to have a override switch on main screen as there's only so many time you can listen to the same song over and over and over again and as fun as the fart sounds are, it can also get old.
Anyway might also address those who want unlimited screens.

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
I would also like the ability to change font Sizes whats on the display. (Even colors)

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
I like the look of it, but agree it is too much screen.
Being able to change color palettes, font size and have a small binnacle (like the model S) in front of the driver with user selectable information would be great.
And, as much as I love the controls at the arm rest, a touch screen there is useless if you are driving. A few actual switches, maybe to rotate screens or act similarly to the steering wheel controls would be a nice addition.

I also like the idea of having a passenger screen so they can deal with a/c, seat heaters, music, opening the glovebox, checking navigation, range and planning trip detours and so on.

Still not a fan of the airbag-propelled “death by iPad mini” attached to the steering wheel.

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
Why is that more a problem than a screen in front of the passenger?

-Crissa
Well, because I am driving!

Seriously, I would expect a screen in front of the passenger to be smaller and mounted above/behind the airbag like the model S screen that is in front of the driver.
If it couldn’t be done safely, I would also be against it.
maybe It pops up, mirroring the drop down of the glovebox? Again, behind the airbag, please.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I'd assume that they'd check on whether it would be safe or not. There is a bit of leeway about where the airbag comes from.

-Crissa
Sponsored