Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
If these legacy automakers continue down the dead end road they're on, their value will drop like a stone. They have assets and if they disappear and Tesla needs rapid growth in areas of the world these assets are. It makes sense.
Yeah, I can't see Elon ever taking a position where Tesla has to change who they are.

But they've sold drivetrains and skateboards before. If there was market to be had and a factory... But Tesla has shown that a factory isn't worth much. It takes them just as long (or longer) to refit an existing one as build a new one.

-Crissa
Sponsored

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Yeah, I can't see Elon ever taking a position where Tesla has to change who they are.

But they've sold drivetrains and skateboards before.
And tequila, and flame throwers, and short shorts....

Seems like a part of Tesla’s character is to sell highly exclusive gag/status/extreme products.

I have yet to see any other auto related company where that kind of product line would be even remotely acceptable.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
And if Tesla were thinking about merging with some large auto company they could delay and save billions in the deal because the further out we go the cheaper they will be.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have yet to see any other auto related company where that kind of product line would be even remotely acceptable.
That's because it's exclusive. There's weird gee-gaws from most of the premium brands or smaller profile... They make cool things to put in their catalogs and give their fans.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
That's because it's exclusive. There's weird gee-gaws from most of the premium brands or smaller profile... They make cool things to put in their catalogs and give their fans.

-Crissa
I think the difference though is around risk. I would think the tequila would be problematic around getting a license from the state. And a flame thrower? What’s the insurance premium on selling a flame thrower?

Things like the short shorts and the whole model names of S3XY would be problematic in most large conservative auto companies because of the possible PR issues or public backlash. But Tesla is a very young company. Wait 20 years and we will see if those things are still around. Might still be there if Elon is still personally overseeing the day to day.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think the difference though is around risk. I would think the tequila would be problematic around getting a license from the state. And a flame thrower? What’s the insurance premium on selling a flame thrower?
Yeah, which is why the tequila isn't available everywhere. But it's pretty easy to hire a distiller to name some bottles.

The flame thrower is just a 'flame effect device' which in this case is just a re-branded weed-killer.

-Crissa

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
At one point in time the automotive part of Tesla will need to expand into new brands (I hope through acquisition or partnerships). The technical knowledge of Tesla will eventually become too much for just one brand.
Nonsense, Elon has already directed his extraneous knowledge into SpaceX, NeuralNet, Boring, satellites, and more. You seem to have a firm grasp of the obvious. peace

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
You think Tesla will sell their solar division? I could see them spinning it out to a wholly owned subsidiary, but I do not think they would sell it.

There is so much that having the solar technology and manufacturing that pairs well (buzz word synergy) with the residential battery and SpaceX.

I would be shocked if Tesla just sold their solar PV business to another company.
yes, we do believe that. They’re losing money

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
And when did any part of the company start making money?

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
If Tesla only loses a small amount of money on Solar PV, but still is profitable overall... as opposed to giving that money to a competitor that could use that money to compete in other areas that Tesla is profitable... better to just lose a small bit of money and not provide money to possible future competitors.

Plus, when it wants a solar panel custom made to fit its needs for Solar Supercharger station or SpaceX vehicle... or for the future CyberTruck.

If they got rid of all the parts of the company that were not profitable, then there would be no Tesla, because all parts lost money in the past.