Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
They system by ZF and by Nexteer both seem interesting and like they offer real world use cases to make things easier.
I like the anti-sway towing feature, but also the ease of maneuvering a trailer.
ZF Video

Nexteer Video

To bring it back on topic for the CyberTruck, Nexteer talks about steer by wire.

I am curious as to if the Hummer EV will use ZF, Nexteer, or some other system...
Sponsored

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
After seeing Hummer reveal
Maybe Tesla could do another option
tri-motor, quad steer, 600 mile range, 5th wheel capable ( removable sail panels or no sail panels) for $95,000 and delivery 2021.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5322

That said, it is all about tradeoffs so if it would drive the price up, I'd say no. Affordability first, then options.
Affordability first! That is why I choose CT over GMC Hummer or Rivian. It is really cool to have all these features you've listed, but I do not need them if it increases the price.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Yes, quad steer as option not standard.

I think there is confusion about usefulness of 4 wheel steer. Most people would not be using it for off-road. It is for use when towing.

It can really help doing turns while towing.
Check what GM Quadsteer owners had to say. It was how it helped when towing.

When not towing, because Cybertruck, F-150/250 are so much longer than cars, quad steer could help with some parking situations too.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
------------------------------

4 wheel steering on trucks helps with
1. turning into parking slot in parking lots with narrow lanes
2. turning right on intersections with tight corners and narrow lanes
3. towing at high-speed and lane change
4. low speed towing forward and turns
5. low speed towing backing up and turning

Want extra cost option on Cybertruck
1. support 5th wheel ( removable sail panels or version with no sails)
2. 4-wheel steering

Chevy's Quadrasteer: Four-wheel steering makes this rig ideal for tugging trailers.
By Drew Hardin
September 18, 2007
https://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/gear/2007/09/chevys-quadrasteer/

new Quadrasteer option available on some 2003 Chevrolet Silverado pickups. A steering rack on the rear axle controls the direction of the back wheels, steering them in a direction opposite the front wheels at low speeds, and in the same direction at highway speeds. The low-speed operation cuts the Silverado's turning circle to a compact-sedan-like 37 feet, while the high-speed function increases stability during lane changes and other maneuvers.

A Trailer Puller's Dream
We found the low-speed mode particularly helpful, as the smaller turning circle made this long-wheelbase truck more nimble than it used to be. If you pull a trailer, you'll like how the rear-steer feels on the highway, but be prepared to practice backing up to get the hang of how the rear-steer moves the trailer tongue around.

------------

Denali Swoops Into Tight Spaces Thanks to Quadrasteer System
By Jonathan WelshStaff Reporter of The Wall Street Journal
March 1, 2002
https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB1014926541434987080

Being able to handle a full-size pickup truck used to be a point of pride: Parking took the strength of a weightlifter. Backing a trailer down a boat ramp took the timing of a shortstop.

Now, General Motors says, it has the truck for everyone else -- the GMC Sierra Denali, with a new steering system called Quadrasteer. Its gimmick: All four wheels -- not just the front two -- turn when you crank the wheel, allowing the big rig to maneuver more like a smaller car. Yes, it's handy for off-roading and towing big trailers. But what seems to matter most is that it lets the new Denali swoop into tight parking spots without those old-style 20-point turns.

At high speeds, Quadrasteer turns the rear wheels in the same direction as the front wheels, although at a lesser angle, which makes changing lanes on the highway surprisingly smooth. At low speeds, the rear wheels go in the opposite direction, giving the truck a 37-foot turning circle -- about 10 feet less than a standard-steering Sierra.

Behind the WheelFour-wheel steering makes this big pickup handle like a small car in parking lots, and makes towing easier.

Last edited:

jasonw

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, cybertruck trimotor (on order)
Occupation
chemist
Country flag
I don't believe that either mattress would fit in the bed unless if there is that full passthrough because the bed is only 6 feet long and every mattress is longer than six feet long. Being 6' 1", I couldn't even lay down in the CT, much less fit a mattress in there.
The bed is apparently going to be 6.5 feet long, so you'd actually have a few inches to spare (even more if you were on the diagonal).

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I have spent years working in steel metal fabrication companies.

Having 2-3 version of Cybertruck body will not significantly increases costs.
A version with metal roof ( no glass) should be cheaper.

The reason for the increased cost with traditional curved vehicle designs is because each body panel (11 or more) requires expensive stamping presses and dies.
I agree with Sandy Munro when he said in product design & fabrication, curves cost money.

Tesla even stated that one of the primary goals of the Cybertruck design was eliminating the need for stamping presses and dies usually used to make exterior body panels. Sandy Munro said the same thing. This hugely reduces the CAPEX for Cybertruck.

Also because there are no stamping presses & dies for exterior panels, Tesla could make the cheaper full metal roof style Cybertruck for less money and sell for cheaper than $39K & also sell glass roof version for $39K. Tesla could also make more metal roof Cybertrucks per day than glass roof model.

Tesla might easily have version where glass roof not installed & solar panels installed instead.
Sponsored