Towing Range Expectations

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
There is plenty of material in this thread explaining why you shouldn't be but if you have no experience with driving BEVs I think it is perfectly reasonable that you are.

Grossly simplifying things, towing eats about half your range. In a 295 EPA mile X, therfore, expect about 150. In a 500 mile trimotor CT expect about 250. If you are worried by that (there will be times when the range will be even less) then perhaps you should not be considering a BEV truck.

If you want to go from Boulder to Portland towing your 12,000 pound fifth wheel camper at a leisurely pace in chunks of a few hundred miles a day then a CT is fine. If you are in business to transfer loads of this size from Boulder to Potland or a recurring basis then it isn't.
Would love to know what battery day will bring. The “+” has really kept awesome conversation going at the dinner table and with friends. My hope is, we can get 7 to 8 hundred miles for the tri. ?
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Unfortunately + means 5 -20 miles at most thus if the vehicle is promised at 500 miles + it means it will deliver at 502 or 512 or something like that. Battery day may deliver a hundred or more percent in number of charge cycles but in energy density it will be far less than 100%. Say, just for the sake of discussion, they found technology that doubled it and let's say at the same time manufacturing costs stayed the same per cell. They would simply put 51% as many cells in the vehicle giving you 500 miles + (the 1% and the lower weight), reduce the price somewhat and keep the remainder of the savings as profit.

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 S90D ,2014Tacoma, Cyberbeast ordered 2/13/24
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Unfortunately + means 5 -20 miles at most thus if the vehicle is promised at 500 miles + it means it will deliver at 502 or 512 or something like that. Battery day may deliver a hundred or more percent in number of charge cycles but in energy density it will be far less than 100%. Say, just for the sake of discussion, they found technology that doubled it and let's say at the same time manufacturing costs stayed the same per cell. They would simply put 51% as many cells in the vehicle giving you 500 miles + (the 1% and the lower weight), reduce the price somewhat and keep the remainder of the savings as profit.
I would guess the 500 mile range depends on the new battery being developed. If it doesn’t get developed we will be waiting like the people who reserved the roadster......still waiting for a 600 mile battery. I,m guessing battery day will keep getting delayed on till the battery technology exists. It will get there..... just not always on time.

CyberJagg

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Chevy Express
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I am hoping to get some information on towing range capabilities of the Cybertruck, looking at this video on YouTube’s testing of model X from below article, it seems that 300 miles range could translate to 100 miles with the trailer. Did anybody see any information on that?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fossby...-is-not-pickup-truck-but-trailer-instead/amp/
It’s certainly true that you loose a lot of range so if you can afford it, get the tri-motor long range. You may get 50% of the range. However, that will be your only real concern. The CT will be a towing god.
Sponsored