Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Lexus electric by 2035. 2035. 13 years from now. 13 YEARS. 13. Ouch that's slow for one brand.
Total electric or all electric by 2035. Toyota's history of hybrids means that, at least what I infer, Lexus will be a mix of hybrid/BEV until 2035.

Even so that seems like a long time until all electric BEV Lexus. And it seems Toyota plans on making ICE engines w/hybrids beyond 2035.

I suspect that this won't be Toyota's last "reversal".

Sponsored

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Right now, we don’t have enough battery capacity to meet current demand.
Same applies to semiconductor chips. Although Jim Farley tells CNBC "Ford CEO says automaker needs EV batteries more than semiconductor chips as electric F-150 reservations hit 200,000 units"

Last edited:

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
That's not Biden's plan, dear.

-Crissa
But, but... QAnon said so, and remember, Biden lifted 3 million kids out of poverty so they can be healthy for Gates and Hillary/Dems pedophilia ring and child sacrifice,:devilish:.

Anyways, back to topic. I wonder why the long timeline for Toyota. It can't be technology as Japan itself is already at par with the US on tech. Not even the manufacturing facilities as they are all over the world and like Ford, can retool these assembly lines.

Businesses create leaders by first-to-market (which they were on hybrids), not to those catching up.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Are they putting all their eggs in the solid state battery basket? Skipping the low tech lithium ion cells hoping to jump ahead of everyone else who’s invested in a technology they expect (hope) will be obsolete?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Are they putting all their eggs in the solid state battery basket? Skipping the low tech lithium ion cells hoping to jump ahead of everyone else who’s invested in a technology they expect (hope) will be obsolete?
I don’t think anyone has cracked scale production of solid state batteries. If Toyota can pull that rabbit out of their hat, they might have a major victory.

Seems like odds on that are slim.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I don’t think anyone has cracked scale production of solid state batteries. If Toyota can pull that rabbit out of their hat, they might have a major victory.

Agreed. Just trying to understand their play so late in the game. Maybe they know something the rest of us don’t.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

Anymore it is not just crack scale production of solid state batteries.

Now it is price too.

If in 2025 Toyota could deliver 100s of gigawatts of solid state batteries but the cost is $200 per kilowatt hour then it has almost zero impact on cars because Tesla 4580 LFP will cost less than $50 kilowatt hour.

Very doubtful Toyota can deliver on scale and price by even 2030.

Also Tesla does not stand still. When solid state batteries are scalable & low cost you can bet Tesla will be involved & have them too ( or even have them first).
Sponsored