Trailer light connections- How do I let Elon Know?!

Would you like to see a integrated trailer light connection?

• Total voters

Northlander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, Hybrid Toyota Avalon, Hybrid Toyota Camery, Honda Odyssey
Country flag
I have a list of features that I would love to see on the Cybertruck truck, which I’ll add to the thread thats been made regarding “features you’d want on your Cyber truck”; however, I need Elon to get this message:

PLEASE FIX, MODERNIZE TRAILER LIGHT CONNECTIONS!!!!

I live in the Midwest and it is so frustrating, when I go to use my trailres (boat, camper, utility) that inevitably, the trailer lights don't work. Exposer, weather and road salt constantly wreck the contact points on my connectors, even when they have caps and connectors on them. Every summer I have to replace the connectors on something. (van,,FJ, boat, camper,and or utility trailer). I know that I am not alone in this, especially in my area.
There has to be a better way? How about a closed system-where you back up to your trailer- the CT recognizes your trailer signal and you hit connect on your drivers screen and BAM! Your connected- no actual physical hook up.. There has been no change in wiring harnesses and connections.-please fix this.
Thoughts- if needed use a snap in like powertool battery that attaches to the trailer to power the lights and receive a signal from the CT. the battery could be removed and charged between uses, there could be a water proof lock box connection spot added to the trailer.
a closed system would be amazing-PLEASE!!!
(I know power braking for some trailers is needed, I am just asking for basic trailer connections-if power braking was addressed., so be it).
I am not kidding this feature alone would make me consider purchasing a vehicle with this feature, and it would be considered new and innovative.
Sponsored

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
Pretty good idea, but... the corrosion happens at all points, not just the connector. For me it is usually the ground connections. And, seeing how many trailers lose only one side of their lights, I think that is more common than connector issues.

When storing trailers I pack the connector with dielectric paste. The only connector issues I have are incompatibility (need 7 pin, have 4 pin, or the size is just different).

edit: I'm actually surprised someone doesn't offer such an aftermarket add-on. It really is a good idea. I wonder if federal regs actually specify a "hard-wired" connection?

OP
OP
Northlander

Northlander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I also use dielectric paste, and storage plugs. good point about the ground.

bigrin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota, Honda Pilot, Lexus sc430
Occupation
Professional Investigator
Country flag
I have a list of features that I would love to see on the Cybertruck truck, which I’ll add to the thread thats been made regarding “features you’d want on your Cyber truck”; however, I need Elon to get this message:

PLEASE FIX, MODERNIZE TRAILER LIGHT CONNECTIONS!!!!

I live in the Midwest and it is so frustrating, when I go to use my trailres (boat, camper, utility) that inevitably, the trailer lights don't work. Exposer, weather and road salt constantly wreck the contact points on my connectors, even when they have caps and connectors on them. Every summer I have to replace the connectors on something. (van,,FJ, boat, camper,and or utility trailer). I know that I am not alone in this, especially in my area.
There has to be a better way? How about a closed system-where you back up to your trailer- the CT recognizes your trailer signal and you hit connect on your drivers screen and BAM! Your connected- no actual physical hook up.. There has been no change in wiring harnesses and connections.-please fix this.
Thoughts- if needed use a snap in like powertool battery that attaches to the trailer to power the lights and receive a signal from the CT. the battery could be removed and charged between uses, there could be a water proof lock box connection spot added to the trailer.
a closed system would be amazing-PLEASE!!!
(I know power braking for some trailers is needed, I am just asking for basic trailer connections-if power braking was addressed., so be it).
I am not kidding this feature alone would make me consider purchasing a vehicle with this feature, and it would be considered new and innovative.
Elon reads his twitter feed often. He has responded to others who have written to him about CT ideas. Give it a try.
Elon Musk
@elonmusk

Cyberchip

First Name
Chippy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra Toyota Prius
Occupation
Collision Technician
Country flag
Actually this technology already exists! I used to have this on my old tow truck. You just place the lights on the vehicle being towed and they work like magic. No wires
Tesla Cybertruck Trailer light connections- How do I let Elon Know?! E089FF00-1B4B-4695-86FD-9880ED6C256D

OP
OP
Northlander

Northlander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Actually this technology already exists! I used to have this on my old tow truck. You just place the lights on the vehicle being towed and they work like magic. No wires
E089FF00-1B4B-4695-86FD-9880ED6C256D.png
Thanks! But I like a fixed version in my trailers that the blue tooth from the truck connects with, or thats my wish connection anyway.
Sponsored

Last edited: