Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Well for starters those storage areas were designed into the vehicle when it was initially designed, not by some shade tree mechanic with extra duct tape and baling wire like the famous Canadian Engineer Red Green would do. Large commercial trucks have considerable permanent ground clearance and those loads are placed above the axle plane, NOT below it for a reason.

The Red Green UnderSlung Load:

Most roof mounted and side mounted storage options are added on after the fact as well.

I never suggested this is something that should be done by a shade tree mechanic. That's all assumption on your part. If you have an idiot install storage/ load bearing components on any part of a truck or car, its going to be dangerous.

If you duct tape 20 bars of rebar to the roof of your truck, it's not going to be safe either.
Sponsored

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair Corsa, Mini Cooper, T880 Kenworth, CT
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
YouTube is a great source of videos of catastrophic failures putting loads on the top roof of people's cars/ trucks so not sure your point. If something is well engineered, it's not going to be an issue. If it's poorly engineered, it's going to be a mess. Doesn't matter if it's on the roof or under the truck.
You are correct. If it were built like a skid plate and not obstruct ground clearance it should/could work. However, aftermarket engineering can't add ground clearance. the space under the vehicle is finite. When one is produced and shown successful , you can serve me up a big plate of crow and I will eat it.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You are correct. If it were built like a skid plate and not obstruct ground clearance it should/could work. However, aftermarket engineering can't add ground clearance. the space under the vehicle is finite. When one is produced and shown successful , you can serve me up a big plate of crow and I will eat it.
Trust me, I'm not holding my breath waiting for it either. I see this as a lost opportunity. Bollinger integrated a full length cargo tunnel into their truck design for similar reasons. But that is atop the batteries which makes a lot more sense.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
Awesome!! And see all the benefits you get? Sweet! Duct tape wins again.
And the icing on the cake, he actually mentioned using the under-slung method of conveyance and duct tape. Priceless.
And like the fat guy said to the phone booth, " We need a little more clearance."

Last edited:

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
Most roof mounted and side mounted storage options are added on after the fact as well.

I never suggested this is something that should be done by a shade tree mechanic. That's all assumption on your part. If you have an idiot install storage/ load bearing components on any part of a truck or car, its going to be dangerous.

If you duct tape 20 bars of rebar to the roof of your truck, it's not going to be safe either.
Red Green would disagree. ?

Oh, and BTW travel much outside the U.S.? I have seen some rather creative methods of moving items over the years. Once in Honduras, I observed a fellow use an "adapter kit" to attach a wheel barrel to a motorcycle to haul his toolbox.

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
And the icing on the cake, he actually mentioned using the under slung method of conveyance and duct tape. Priceless.
Yes, Red Green is a handy treasure.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
I find this whole thread (and the previous thread months ago too) to be curious. As an intellectual thought experiment, I find the idea intriguing. But for some reason, the idea seems to have sparked a serious dispute between two sides that seem way more invested than just as a curious idea.

As a curious idea, I'd want to watch some YouTube videos of someone trying to implement something like this. Perhaps if I had 1 or 2 long (say 20 ft or so) beams that I had to transport I might even consider trying to carry the load under the CT. But the chances of me actually doing it are very, very low. And as an individual, the chances of me needing to carry such a long load are pretty minimal. I would think that anyone who might think about this solution in a more serious way would have the infrastructure (roof rack, trailer, etc) and lifting power (team of workers, forklift, etc) to just use the normal hauling methods.

So I don't really understand why this idea sparks such strong opinions. The idea has now been pursued by a few different people with enough energy to have multiple pages of arguments about how to implement it. And there have been a number of people who have gone beyond simple dismissal to outright hostility to the idea (and toward the supporters of the idea). To each their own I suppose. I'm just surprised that this very niche idea is so important to multiple people. But I guess that, "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition."
Ever sit in the parking lot of Lowe's or Home Depot on a Saturday, more fun than watching the boat ramp follies in the afternoon after they return from a day on the water.
Sponsored