luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
nevermind..its a slightly different topic.... so another thread. (I hate when a thread goes sideways instead of the poster starting their own damn thread and leaving the other topic alone)
Sponsored

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
I got the response I wanted in all these posts. It is a Swiss Army Knife. A Swiss Army Truck.
I don't know about that, we'll see what accessories are available when the thing actually hits the road.

OP
OP

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
This is sorta a combination of a recent tidbit of news and my view that the Cybertruck should not be called either "cyber" or "truck." ("Cyber" is just plain stupid, childish, misleading, and limiting. And "truck" is just a misuse of the word and does no justice to what this vehicle truly is.)
Big E's horse has no name...at least that is what I have read. The vehicle is not even going to be branded with a "T". I thinkBig E is genius. I think he sees this vehicle is truly "Not a Truck." And he does not want to restrict what type vehicle it is by having "cyberTRUCK" put on the skin, as that would seem to restrict its many uses....

OP
OP

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I don't know about that, we'll see what accessories are available when the thing actually hits the road.
Huh? It's already a better car, van, station wagon, hatchback, camper than almost all the vehicles that are dedicated to just one function. So yeah it is a Swiss Army Vehicle. Heck I was serious when I posted what I was going to use this vehicle for when I posted I live in a two bedroom house in Florida. So I plan on using it as a third bedroom. Guest can sleep in my room. I'll sleep in the "car."

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
Lukefrisbee when you first posted this thread I thought you were a Tesla Troll. I did not see what you were stating based on what you wrote. My bad. After reading your other post I do see what you mean and I also started a post trying to figure out what the classify the CT as because it is more than a truck. I agree it is like a Swiss Arm Truck. It is much more than the bed in the back. Most of the time it will be a pavement princess or mall machine never living up to its potential. However it will be able to get you out of a bind. It is not specialized or specific in its use case but it is a jack of all trades.
I think Cyber is applicable, however it is more from a Cyber Culture, SciFi realm than the literal definition, more cyberpunk punch in the face.

OP
OP

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Lukefrisbee when you first posted this thread I thought you were a Tesla Troll. I did not see what you were stating based on what you wrote. My bad. After reading your other post I do see what you mean and I also started a post trying to figure out what the classify the CT as because it is more than a truck. I agree it is like a Swiss Arm Truck. It is much more than the bed in the back. Most of the time it will be a pavement princess or mall machine never living up to its potential. However it will be able to get you out of a bind. It is not specialized or specific in its use case but it is a jack of all trades.
I think Cyber is applicable, however it is more from a Cyber Culture, SciFi realm than the literal definition, more cyberpunk punch in the face.
I appreciate opening your mind to the Swiss Army Aspect this vehicle possesses. Its only 'cyber" relation is to that tron artist. And that is all.
I like calling it a Tesla Utility Vehicle (TUV), or a Swiss Army Knife Automobile (SAKA).

Snuups

First Name
Yannick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
I don't really care about what the Cybertruck really is. I'll use it as an SUV and its "being nothing but everything" will crush the market.
And if Tesla can sell and produce more than 100'000 Units a year there will be plenty of accessoires.

My guess is that Tesla might sell up to 250'000 Units a year.

CarsBarsMars

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus, Infiniti, BMW
Country flag
Cyber ,,,AND virtual reality. It is reality. And My Dodge Colt back in 1988 had a computer. And except for the Self driving aspect it is not much different than my wife's 2019 corolla as far as computers and safety advancements.
Truck... well if having a bed makes it a truck then I can't argue...except it doesn't. It has a modified trunk, with a real cool lid.
And People are not going to do truck things with it.
Look my point is that the word "truck"is no longer a specific vehicle either in form or function. And this does so much more than a truck. But tradesmen are NOT going to want this truck for work.
Truck now means "SUV with a funny trunk."
The tech on board a Tesla is far more forward than your wifes corolla. There are thousands of youtube videos of people showing off the capability of their Tesla on board Android based computing. Tesla's update their code wirelessly, so your vehicle improves over time without visiting the dealer to "reflash" the transmission computer or any of the nonsense ordinary cars go through at dealers. Tesla has patents out for lasers that will zap dirt off the lenses of the self drive cameras. And then there is the self drive, which a corolla will likely never have. There is not another manufacturer on earth with a deployed working self driving function.

However, the name CyberTruck is as much about the appearance of the concept as the function of the concept. This thing could have come right off the cover of a 1996 CyberPunk novel, off the screen of bladerunner, etc.

The VTT function updates every time also, combine that with self drive and you've got a car that interfaces with you like a simple AI, so you just tell it to go get coffee and in five minutes youre at a drive through.

It's so far away from being a corolla I dont even know why you would make the comparison.

Is it a "truck"? That depends on how you use it. Most guys who have a mega cab truck with side steps and a fiberglass tonneau arent actually using their trucks as work trucks or even as generic trucks. This is similar in concept to the Chevy Avalanche, I owned two of those and it was a very capable dual purpose family/work hauler let down by its underpowered engine and weak transmission.

I could easily use a Cybertruck as a work vehicle, but I have a rule these days about spending less than 10k on a work truck after I trashed two Avalanches trying to have a single truck that did everything I needed. So I will use it for everything else, including purchasing, since it has a nice payload and a full cargo bed. I have several trailers that I use for work, it's capable of hauling those in a limited range capacity.

Looks perfect.

OP
OP

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I
The tech on board a Tesla is far more forward than your wifes corolla. There are thousands of youtube videos of people showing off the capability of their Tesla on board Android based computing. Tesla's update their code wirelessly, so your vehicle improves over time without visiting the dealer to "reflash" the transmission computer or any of the nonsense ordinary cars go through at dealers. Tesla has patents out for lasers that will zap dirt off the lenses of the self drive cameras. And then there is the self drive, which a corolla will likely never have. There is not another manufacturer on earth with a deployed working self driving function.

However, the name CyberTruck is as much about the appearance of the concept as the function of the concept. This thing could have come right off the cover of a 1996 CyberPunk novel, off the screen of bladerunner, etc.

The VTT function updates every time also, combine that with self drive and you've got a car that interfaces with you like a simple AI, so you just tell it to go get coffee and in five minutes youre at a drive through.

It's so far away from being a corolla I dont even know why you would make the comparison.

Is it a "truck"? That depends on how you use it. Most guys who have a mega cab truck with side steps and a fiberglass tonneau arent actually using their trucks as work trucks or even as generic trucks. This is similar in concept to the Chevy Avalanche, I owned two of those and it was a very capable dual purpose family/work hauler let down by its underpowered engine and weak transmission.

I could easily use a Cybertruck as a work vehicle, but I have a rule these days about spending less than 10k on a work truck after I trashed two Avalanches trying to have a single truck that did everything I needed. So I will use it for everything else, including purchasing, since it has a nice payload and a full cargo bed. I have several trailers that I use for work, it's capable of hauling those in a limited range capacity.

Looks perfect.
[/QUOT
I could argue with you about how your "avalanches" are not much like the Tesla Utility Vehicle, as you did my wife's corolla does not have much in common with the autopilot on current tesla's.
But I loved your point about the truck was named for how it looked. I can see that. I never considered it. And now I have a laugh at the Big E. (In another thread so as not to corrupt/hi-jack this one.).

CarsBarsMars

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus, Infiniti, BMW
Country flag
The Avalanche was visually similar, also had a complicated cargo bed and expensive toys that prevented you from loading it with cement blocks. It was also pitched as a lifestyle vehicle with a quad sitting in the back and family/utility use. Basically my opinion about that comparison is based on my gut reaction when I saw the CyberTruck, that it was a similar niche vehicle to the Avalanche based on my ten year experience with them. Certainly it’s intended to be much tougher and more universal as a truck, but I suspect a lot of people who were attracted to the Avalanche will be attracted to the CyberTruck.

K Doc Brown 007

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Fusion & 2019 Jeep Rubicon
Country flag
The Avalanche was visually similar, also had a complicated cargo bed and expensive toys that prevented you from loading it with cement blocks. It was also pitched as a lifestyle vehicle with a quad sitting in the back and family/utility use. Basically my opinion about that comparison is based on my gut reaction when I saw the CyberTruck, that it was a similar niche vehicle to the Avalanche based on my ten year experience with them. Certainly it’s intended to be much tougher and more universal as a truck, but I suspect a lot of people who were attracted to the Avalanche will be attracted to the CyberTruck.
?tastes vary.... however, I don’t like the Avalanche one bit.... yet I like the CT. I don’t think it resembles an Avalanche. I think it S DNA is closer to a DeLorean / Hummer... thoseappeal to me in a similar manner as CT

Dan Truax

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No Tesla Yet
Country flag
The first pickup truck (not a prime mover) was just a car (Model T) with a bed installed on it (1913 Galion Allsteel was installing hauling boxes on slightly modified Ford model T chassis).

Starting with the body on frame car, then years later the unibody car took over the car market.
Now the truck is following with a modified unibody via Tesla.

If it can "truck" stuff, then its a truck..

OP
OP

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The first pickup truck (not a prime mover) was just a car (Model T) with a bed installed on it (1913 Galion Allsteel was installing hauling boxes on slightly modified Ford model T chassis).

Starting with the body on frame car, then years later the unibody car took over the car market.
Now the truck is following with a modified unibody via Tesla.

If it can "truck" stuff, then its a truck..
everyone that pisses isn't a pisser. Some people are much more.

BuzzMega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime
Occupation
Writer
Country flag
It is an SUV with a roller door trunk. Now except for the .01% that are going to try and use this as a truck, that's a good thing.
Ya Know if VW hadn't already used the name "The Thing" for that funky WWII convertible in the 1970's I would strongly suggest The BiggEE name this thing, "The Thing."

It ain't a truck suv station wagon hatchback, or van.

Its a THING or "Summa" a lot of things.

When I think of (somewhat) driving this "Thing," I see myself sitting comfortably and "away" from the other three Adults, knowing wherever I am going I will get there economically and be proud while driving it and on arrival. That ain't a truck.

I have a reservation for a multitude of reasons. The ones involving the function of this "automobile" (come on many of us don't see it as even an automobile.) Are:
  • It won't fall apart if I don't wash it. (Yes this tops my list.)
  • It is big enough to be comfortable.It is big enough to be "The Party Wagon" locally... or to a tailgate. (Sheeit "Tailgating!?"...I haven't even heard anyone talking about that...)
  • It will be the best Station wagon/hatchback in the world. (Those Town and Country Station wagons can't even hold half this can." And longer road trips...mattress in the back.)
  • It is functionality weakest as a van... Comfy for adults, but not a work van...or work truck.

But it ain't a truck at all...it's more versatile than a truck... and not a truck. It wasn't even designed to be a truck, people that need a truck gripe about it more than all the other groups put together.
Right. The extended perception of this machine takes previously listed attributes, puts them in a blender and purées the idea into a new drink. My own take labels it as a ”safety limo with giant trunk (SLWGT)”. Everybody gets to define it for themselves.

OP
OP

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Right. The extended perception of this machine takes previously listed attributes, puts them in a blender and purées the idea into a new drink. My own take labels it as a ”safety limo with giant trunk (SLWGT)”. Everybody gets to define it for themselves.
Yep, If everyone, and I mean everyone that doesn't think like you would take a step back and look at the TUV without a label on it it would not be seen as in the pick-up genre by more than 10%, and that would be based more on the shape of the trunk.
Sure some people are going to use it as a work truck...but it isn't remotely a "truck."
Sponsored