Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
GM, Lucid, VW are all gunning for Tesla. This is what happens when you're top dog!

Volkswagen AG is in a position to overtake Tesla Inc., both in terms of e-car manufacturing numbers and software development, works council chairman Bernd Osterloh told Welt am Sonntag in an interview.

“If Tesla sets up three factories where 300,000 to 500,000 cars can be produced, then we are talking about a number of units between 900,000 and 1.5 million. We want to achieve the same in 2023, probably even earlier,” Osterloh told the newspaper. VW’s modular electric-drive matrix platform gives the carmaker a “huge” advantage,” as it can build any vehicle of any brand on it, Osterloh said.

Osterloh also expects the “Artemis” engineering task force under Audi CEO Markus Duesmann to catch up with Tesla’s technological edge. The new Car Software Organization, where all the carmakers’ software operations are bundled, is the right step in this direction, Osterloh told WamS.

“Their advantage is that they already have their software in the cars and use it to collect data,” he said. “But if we get our system into our cars, we will have much more data within a short time.”

Source: BLOOMBERG
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yes, well, I'll believe it when I see it. Their modular system also makes their EVs more expensive and less desirable than their non-EV siblings.

-Crissa

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
“Their advantage is that they already have their software in the cars and use it to collect data,” he said. “But if we get our system into our cars, we will have much more data within a short time.”

That is a big "IF".

Tesla has 1 million cars and counting on the road already and has been collecting data for billions of miles. You just don't snap your fingers and put data collectors and processors of this type into every car over night and get those data miles.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

That is a big "IF".

Tesla has 1 million cars and counting on the road already and has been collecting data for billions of miles. You just don't snap your fingers and put data collectors and processors of this type into every car over night and get those data miles.
I thought that statement was pretty braggadocious. I suspect that VW execs have had many meetings, round tables and the sort and have come out ready to take on Big, Bad Tesla! ?

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Currently working on a new VW dealership in Texas, they are going VERY heavy on EV marketing. Its becoming a huge part of the brand identity which makes me hopeful and excited. I am excited to see the ID.4 and the VW BUZZ or whatever when its finally revealed.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag

That is a big "IF".

Yeah I don't see any possible way that they could catch up, yet they want to gather more data than Tesla has.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this statement. Tesla has collected data for the past 8 years, tesla has roughly a million cars on the road, all of these cars are equipped with multiple cameras, sensors, and radar. They even admitted that their plan is to be able to produce as many EV's per year as Tesla does by 2023, so Tesla will still widen the gap of EV cars on the road.

The only way they could collect more data is if they put the hardware needed to collect the data they want on every car they make. Even if they did that, it's not like they would just jump ahead. I'm pretty sure that once you are at a certain amount of cars on the road collecting data, adding more has a lot less value than the ones that came before it. Tesla might have billions of miles that data has been collected on, but i'm pretty sure if you are driving alone on the a long road, with minimal or no signs, with no traffic in either direction, that data probably is probably tossed pretty quickly.

The benefit of having so many cars on the road is definitely data but it's so that when you want to see how a car is performing in a certain area and how to improve it or expand the features, you know you'll have a lot of data to review. I'm sure Tesla is focusing a lot on the data collected when traffic light and stop sign control are being used. Tesla's next big update is supposed to be turns at street intersections, so they are probably working on making sure the car is seeing all surrounding vehicles, picking up the color of the lights, and probably running simulations based on the data collected to decide when to go, to make sure the car is staying in lane, and acceleration needed depending on the intersection.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
I thought that statement was pretty braggadocious. I suspect that VW execs have had many meetings, round tables and the sort and have come out ready to take on Big, Bad Tesla! ?
Yeah, like when did Trevor Milton start working for VW?
Sponsored