What does "Estimated position for trim" mean?

Gordon E Peterson II

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently 2000 Chrysler Town & Country minivan
Occupation
retired computer programmer and consultant
Country flag
OK, so I've gone to the reservations spreadsheet and got a "Estimated position for trim" number... but what does that mean?
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There's so many orders for each trim, that is, the Tri Motor, Dual Motor, Single Motor. In the past, Tesla has delivered the most expensive units first, and then on down the line, unless there was some reason a part wasn't ready yet (like the Plaids are being delayed, or the seven-seat variants were delayed).

Code:
RN Date:   11/22/2019 1:03:00 PM PST
RN Location:   Santa Cruz, CA   RN Count:   1
RN Trim:      Single Motor Full Self Driving
Errors:             
Msg from Admin:
Msg to Admin:      undefined
Est Position:    56,231
Est Position for Trim:    2,924
Est Delivery Month:    3/27/2023
So here's my reservation. I entered it into the database pretty early, so the calculated numbers jumped around a bit, but they've been steady for the last year. As you can see, I ordered the 2,924th single-motor trim. So it's estimating I won't see my truck until 2023. But I ordered it the release night, so I'm at the total position 56,231.

Hopefully that means I get a truck next year. Traditionally, Tesla tries to upsell those whose orders will be delayed to whatever the available model is. And since then, my spouse has given me permission to take such an offer. ^-^

-Crissa

CyberG

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 P85+
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
And since then, my spouse has given me permission to take such an offer. ^-^

-Crissa
Clearance from the tower is usually a good first step. I’m 304,000 in line, but tri motor config, so maybe I’ll get mine by 2024.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hey, at least I have a reservation! Tesla aiming at the 40k market put it just below the 50k you-aren't-allowed-to-drool-over-this line my spouse had set years earlier when the Model S came out.

-Crissa

Last edited:

OP
OP
Gordon E Peterson II

Gordon E Peterson II

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently 2000 Chrysler Town & Country minivan
Occupation
retired computer programmer and consultant
Country flag
well, here's mine:
put down $100 deposit on 1/30/2021 2:12pm VISA
estimated position (as of 4/29/2021): 860,462
estimated position for trim: 283,092
estimated delivery month: 3/27/2024
I'm a little surprised that my delivery at position 860,462 is only a year after yours at 56,231!

I have been studiously watching the Joe Tegtmeyer videos of the construction down in Austin. ;-)

MADMAN

First Name
Jahson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Dual Motor
Occupation
Laboratory Technician (Analytical Chemistry)
Country flag
There's so many orders for each trim, that is, the Tri Motor, Dual Motor, Single Motor. In the past, Tesla has delivered the most expensive units first, and then on down the line, unless there was some reason a part wasn't ready yet (like the Plaids are being delayed, or the seven-seat variants were delayed).

Code:
Errors:           
Msg from Admin:
So here's my reservation. I entered it into the database pretty early, so the calculated numbers jumped around a bit, but they've been steady for the last year. As you can see, I ordered the 2,924th single-motor trim. So it's estimating I won't see my truck until 2023. But I ordered it the release night, so I'm at the total position 56,231.

Hopefully that means I get a truck next year. Traditionally, Tesla tries to upsell those whose orders will be delayed to whatever the available model is. And since then, my spouse has given me permission to take such an offer. ^-^

-Crissa
Just splitting hairs here so please don't take offense, but the reveal was on the evening of the 21st. According to your posted capture, your reservation was made on the afternoon of the 22nd. So you actually reserved your truck the day AFTER the reveal. That's still very early for a reservation though. I didn't get my reservation in until the day after yours.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just splitting hairs here so please don't take offense, but the reveal was on the evening of the 21st. According to your posted capture, your reservation was made on the afternoon of the 22nd. ...
Yes, Tesla didn't email me back until the next day. I assume that was just backlog of how many they had that night.

-Crissa

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
Hmmm, so I'm around 43,000 on the general listing, I wonder what my estimated position for trim number is?

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
So I'm at 13,086 for a tri-mtr trim, 4/20/2022 est. del'y month - the lease ended on my Model S in March, so only about a Year without a Tesla!

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag

Code:
Errors:            
Msg from Admin:

-Crissa
I hope you get that upsell! I am going to look at my place in line again with this information. Thank you.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Estimated means subject to change. I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it. It’s a day by day event.
Sponsored