What's the deal with side view mirrors?

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3...And one day my Cyber Truck!!!!!!!
Occupation
SVP
Country flag
Hi All, does anyone if the CT will be fitted with traditional-ish side view mirrors? Or is it confirmed they will be camera based?
Sponsored

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
We are all waiting to hear if the Feds change the requirements. It is still unknown. Watch the forums here as the moment anyone knows you can expect a dozen comments practically instantly.

OP
OP
Cybertruck Nicole
First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3...And one day my Cyber Truck!!!!!!!
Occupation
SVP
Country flag
Cool, thanks!!!!

Pilot4hire

First Name
Woor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, Roadster and Cybertruck
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
We are all waiting to hear if the Feds change the requirements. It is still unknown. Watch the forums here as the moment anyone knows you can expect a dozen comments practically instantly.
I suggest to write to the Feds and tell them to get with the 21st Century. We can help Tesla by sending the Feds thousands of letters weekly. Woor

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I suggest to write to the Feds and tell them to get with the 21st Century. We can help Tesla by sending the Feds thousands of letters weekly. Woor
Do you have an address and maybe a letter template for us? That would be very cool and I for one would write. I was just looking that up yesterday but the only address I had was for comments that were due in December 2019.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Do you have an address and maybe a letter template for us? That would be very cool and I for one would write. I was just looking that up yesterday but the only address I had was for comments that were due in December 2019.
I went to the government site from the PNRPM for using CMS systems in lieu of side view mirrors and submitted a comment here:

https://beta.regulations.gov/commenton/NHTSA-2018-0021-0005/

I wasn’t sure how to write a comment so I wrote something simple:

“I encourage the NHTSA to consider the option to use CMSs to replace side view mirrors. I have been driving a Tesla Model 3 for a year now and the view that the side cameras provide is superior in all lighting conditions to the tiny side mirrors provided. Removing the side mirrors would improve safety, improve economy, and wouldn’t adversely affect visibility at all. Please allow auto makers the option of replacing side mirrors with CMSs.“

I don’t know if they are actually considering comments but they did acknowledge my submission so who knows...

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I went to the government site from the PNRPM for using CMS systems in lieu of side view mirrors and submitted a comment here:

https://beta.regulations.gov/commenton/NHTSA-2018-0021-0005/

I wasn’t sure how to write a comment so I wrote something simple:

“I encourage the NHTSA to consider the option to use CMSs to replace side view mirrors. I have been driving a Tesla Model 3 for a year now and the view that the side cameras provide is superior in all lighting conditions to the tiny side mirrors provided. Removing the side mirrors would improve safety, improve economy, and wouldn’t adversely affect visibility at all. Please allow auto makers the option of replacing side mirrors with CMSs.“

I don’t know if they are actually considering comments but they did acknowledge my submission so who knows...
You can read the status and sign up for updates here:

https://www.regulations.gov/docket?D=NHTSA-2018-0021

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I saw a recent YT video with Bjorn Nyland( a well known Tesla YTer who lives in Norway) and he talked about the Audi EV that had the side cameras and he didn't care for them. Some of it due to the crap getting on the lens and the location of the screens, that it was easier to use side mirrors

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
As long as you are towing a huge brick, what's a little more wind resistance with side-view mirrors... LOL.

But I've seen lots of 5th wheel towing pickups with extended secondary side mirrors that are attached to the primary side mirrors. I'd be willing to bet that if there is an issue seeing around most campers that the marketplace will develop some extended mirrors to affix to the CT.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
By the way, if someone is looking to attach mirrors or other items, it seems like with all that glass suction cups would be an easy custom attachment mechanism. We’ve been told SS is not magnetic so that wouldn’t work. But I can imagine someone’s CT looking like it’s being attacked by a giant squid with all the suction cups attached.

Nanodot

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forster
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Well, you can add them. No one is stopping you. ^-^

It'll be inferior to the view from cameras, though.

-Crissa
unless you get mirrors extended like this mounted on both sides <smile>
Tesla Cybertruck What's the deal with side view mirrors? mirror
:
Sponsored