George aka "Katrina Georgina Wonder"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None Yet CT Foundation Ordered
Occupation
Man of Many Hats
Country flag
This may not seem cool to many of you but I am from the city where stainless steel was actually invented as well as the model A. I've just taken my Cybertruck on its first cross country Journey with many pros and cons. I'm ending my trip today sitting in the driveway of Elwood Haynes. I'm parked directly in front of the garage that holds the first Model A created on the same property. I'm fairly certain that the alloy company in town today also helped create the stainless alloy that's used by Elon Musk in Tesla but I'm not certain. I just thought it was cool to see that an idea that started in the small basement here turned into something so glorious and that this guy probably never imagined the first vehicle of it this kind sitting next to his first vehicle of his kind.

Tesla Cybertruck Took Cybertruck to where it first began -- the birthplace of stainless steel 20240506_114236
Tesla Cybertruck Took Cybertruck to where it first began -- the birthplace of stainless steel 20240506_114115
Tesla Cybertruck Took Cybertruck to where it first began -- the birthplace of stainless steel 20240506_114223
Tesla Cybertruck Took Cybertruck to where it first began -- the birthplace of stainless steel 20240506_113949
Tesla Cybertruck Took Cybertruck to where it first began -- the birthplace of stainless steel 20240506_113912
Tesla Cybertruck Took Cybertruck to where it first began -- the birthplace of stainless steel 20240506_114001
Sponsored

jf64k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 MYLR x2, 2024 FS AWD on order
Country flag
Very cool!!

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
This may not seem cool to many of you but I am from the city where stainless steel was actually invented as well as the model A. I've just taken my Cybertruck on its first cross country Journey with many pros and cons. I'm ending my trip today sitting in the driveway of Elwood Haynes. I'm parked directly in front of the garage that holds the first Model A created on the same property. I'm fairly certain that the alloy company in town today also helped create the stainless alloy that's used by Elon Musk in Tesla but I'm not certain. I just thought it was cool to see that an idea that started in the small basement here turned into something so glorious and that this guy probably never imagined the first vehicle of it this kind sitting next to his first vehicle of his kind.

20240506_114236.jpg
20240506_114115.jpg
20240506_114223.jpg
20240506_113949.jpg
20240506_113912.jpg
20240506_114001.jpg
Very cool!

The stainless steels used by the Cybertuck were developed by Tesla with the help of SpaceX and it's produced by a foundary in Finland, Europes largest.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
----------------------

Stainless steel Ford Model 38, Thunderbird and Lincoln Continental headed to auction
Partnership with Allegheny Ludlum yielded three unforgettable models
Jonathon Ramsey
May 22nd 2020
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/05/22...l-38-thunderbird-lincoln-continental-auction/

executives at Allegheny Ludlum Steel contacted Ford in 1935 about building a car with the chromium-tinged metal. Ford was game, the company ruining a set of stamping dies to punch body panels for six 1936 Ford Deluxe Tudor sedans. Allegheny Ludlum sent a car to each of its six regional sale execs, and the story goes that the reps gave the region's top salesman the keys to the car for one year. With every one of the glinting Deluxe Tudors powering through more than a few 85-horsepower Ford V8s on their way to doing more than 200,000 miles apiece before being retired in 1946, the steelmaker and Ford reaped huge publicity.

Tesla Cybertruck Took Cybertruck to where it first began -- the birthplace of stainless steel 1715041144589-j6

----------------------

Stainless steel 1936 Ford part of 17-car collection donated to Early Ford V-8 Museum
Daniel Strohl
05/24/2017
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/20...r-collection-donated-to-early-ford-v-8-museum

Classic Car Museum | Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum ( Auburn, Indiana,USA)
Preserving Ford Motor History
The Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum exists to collect, preserve, exhibit and interpret the history and heritage of the products manufactured by the Ford Motor Company between 1932 and 1953. We seek to capture and display the character, culture, and charisma of America's love affair with open roads and the Fabulous Fords that helped conquer them. The museum is an educational and research model for all to enjoy.
https://fordv8foundation.org/

Tesla Cybertruck Took Cybertruck to where it first began -- the birthplace of stainless steel 1715041204896-fc

---------------------

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Thanks for sharing your museum experience! As a car guy, I never heard of Elwood Haynes or his cars. It’s cool to read about his contributions to automotive and metallurgical industries.

However, it appears that stainless steel was developed as a result of a series of scientific developments that date back to at least 1798:

“The invention of stainless steel followed a series of scientific developments, starting in 1798 when chromium was first shown to the French Academy by Louis Vauquelin. In the early 1800s, British scientists James Stoddart, Michael Faraday, and Robert Malletobserved the resistance of chromium-iron alloys ("chromium steels") to oxidizing agents. Robert Bunsendiscovered chromium's resistance to strong acids. The corrosion resistance of iron-chromium alloys may have been first recognized in 1821 by Pierre Berthier, who noted their resistance against attack by some acids and suggested their use in cutlery.[21]

In the 1840s, both Britain's Sheffield steelmakers and then Krupp of Germany were producing chromium steel with the latter employing it for cannons in the 1850s.[22]In 1861, Robert Forester Mushet took out a patent on chromium steel in Britain.[23]

These events led to the first American production of chromium-containing steel by J. Baur of the Chrome Steel Works of Brooklyn for the construction of bridges. A US patent for the product was issued in 1869.[24]: 2261 [a] This was followed with recognition of the corrosion resistance of chromium alloys by Englishmen John T. Woods and John Clark, who noted ranges of chromium from 5–30%, with added tungsten and "medium carbon". They pursued the commercial value of the innovation via a British patent for "Weather-Resistant Alloys".[24]: 261, 11 [25][full citation needed]

In the late 1890s, German chemist Hans Goldschmidtdeveloped an aluminothermic (thermite) process for producing carbon-free chromium.[26] Between 1904 and 1911, several researchers, particularly Leon Guilletof France, prepared alloys that would be considered stainless steel today.[26][27]

In 1908, the Essen firm Friedrich Krupp Germaniawerftbuilt the 366-ton sailing yacht Germania featuring a chrome-nickel steel hull, in Germany. In 1911, Philip Monnartz reported on the relationship between chromium content and corrosion resistance.[28] On 17 October 1912, Krupp engineers Benno Strauss and Eduard Maurer patented as Nirosta the austenitic stainless steel[29][30][31][28] known today as 18/8 or AISI type 304.[32]

Similar developments were taking place in the United States, where Christian Dantsizen of General Electric[32] and Frederick Becket (1875–1942) at Union Carbide were industrializing ferritic stainless steel.[33]In 1912, Elwood Haynes applied for a US patent on a martensitic stainless steel alloy, which was not granted until 1919.[34]

Harry Brearleyedit
Tesla Cybertruck Took Cybertruck to where it first began -- the birthplace of stainless steel 220px-Harry_Brearley

Monument to Harry Brearley at the former Brown Firth Research Laboratory in Sheffield, England
While seeking a corrosion-resistant alloy for gun barrels in 1912, Harry Brearley of the Brown-Firth research laboratory in Sheffield, England, discovered and subsequently industrialized a martensitic stainless steelalloy, today known as AISI type 420.[32] The discovery was announced two years later in a January 1915 newspaper article in The New York Times.[20]

The metal was later marketed under the "Staybrite" brand by Firth Vickers in England and was used for the new entrance canopy for the Savoy Hotel in London in 1929.[35] Brearley applied for a US patent during 1915 only to find that Haynes had already registered one. Brearley and Haynes pooled their funding and, with a group of investors, formed the American Stainless Steel Corporation, with headquarters in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.[24]: 360 “

Sources:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel

https://www.bsstainless.com/the-history-of-stainless-steel

Not to be pedantic, but I would credit the Cybertruck as the first mass produced electric stainless steel vehicle. The first limited production version is from Ford (as posted above).

The first mass produced stainless steel vehicle is of course, the DeLorean.

Sources:

https://www.liveabout.com/the-first-stainless-steel-car-726028

https://www.motorwayamerica.com/content/history-stainless-steel-car

https://www.bsstainless.com/automotive-stainless-steel-take-a-look-at-the

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Thanks for sharing your museum experience! As a car guy, I never heard of Elwood Haynes or his cars. It’s cool to read about his contributions to automotive and metallurgical industries.

However, it appears that stainless steel was developed as a result of a series of scientific developments that date back to at least 1798:

“The invention of stainless steel followed a series of scientific developments, starting in 1798 when chromium was first shown to the French Academy by Louis Vauquelin. In the early 1800s, British scientists James Stoddart, Michael Faraday, and Robert Malletobserved the resistance of chromium-iron alloys ("chromium steels") to oxidizing agents. Robert Bunsendiscovered chromium's resistance to strong acids. The corrosion resistance of iron-chromium alloys may have been first recognized in 1821 by Pierre Berthier, who noted their resistance against attack by some acids and suggested their use in cutlery.[21]

In the 1840s, both Britain's Sheffield steelmakers and then Krupp of Germany were producing chromium steel with the latter employing it for cannons in the 1850s.[22]In 1861, Robert Forester Mushet took out a patent on chromium steel in Britain.[23]

These events led to the first American production of chromium-containing steel by J. Baur of the Chrome Steel Works of Brooklyn for the construction of bridges. A US patent for the product was issued in 1869.[24]: 2261 [a] This was followed with recognition of the corrosion resistance of chromium alloys by Englishmen John T. Woods and John Clark, who noted ranges of chromium from 5–30%, with added tungsten and "medium carbon". They pursued the commercial value of the innovation via a British patent for "Weather-Resistant Alloys".[24]: 261, 11 [25][full citation needed]

In the late 1890s, German chemist Hans Goldschmidtdeveloped an aluminothermic (thermite) process for producing carbon-free chromium.[26] Between 1904 and 1911, several researchers, particularly Leon Guilletof France, prepared alloys that would be considered stainless steel today.[26][27]

In 1908, the Essen firm Friedrich Krupp Germaniawerftbuilt the 366-ton sailing yacht Germania featuring a chrome-nickel steel hull, in Germany. In 1911, Philip Monnartz reported on the relationship between chromium content and corrosion resistance.[28] On 17 October 1912, Krupp engineers Benno Strauss and Eduard Maurer patented as Nirosta the austenitic stainless steel[29][30][31][28] known today as 18/8 or AISI type 304.[32]

Similar developments were taking place in the United States, where Christian Dantsizen of General Electric[32] and Frederick Becket (1875–1942) at Union Carbide were industrializing ferritic stainless steel.[33]In 1912, Elwood Haynes applied for a US patent on a martensitic stainless steel alloy, which was not granted until 1919.[34]

Harry Brearleyedit
220px-Harry_Brearley.jpg

Monument to Harry Brearley at the former Brown Firth Research Laboratory in Sheffield, England
While seeking a corrosion-resistant alloy for gun barrels in 1912, Harry Brearley of the Brown-Firth research laboratory in Sheffield, England, discovered and subsequently industrialized a martensitic stainless steelalloy, today known as AISI type 420.[32] The discovery was announced two years later in a January 1915 newspaper article in The New York Times.[20]

The metal was later marketed under the "Staybrite" brand by Firth Vickers in England and was used for the new entrance canopy for the Savoy Hotel in London in 1929.[35] Brearley applied for a US patent during 1915 only to find that Haynes had already registered one. Brearley and Haynes pooled their funding and, with a group of investors, formed the American Stainless Steel Corporation, with headquarters in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.[24]: 360 “

Sources:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel

https://www.bsstainless.com/the-history-of-stainless-steel

Not to be pedantic, but I would credit the Cybertruck as the first mass produced electric stainless steel vehicle. The first limited production version is from Ford (as posted above).

The first mass produced stainless steel vehicle is of course, the DeLorean.

Sources:

https://www.liveabout.com/the-first-stainless-steel-car-726028

https://www.motorwayamerica.com/content/history-stainless-steel-car

https://www.bsstainless.com/automotive-stainless-steel-take-a-look-at-the
I certainly don't think it's too early to declare the Cybertruck the first successful stainless steel production vehicle in the world.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I certainly don't think it's too early to declare the Cybertruck the first successful stainless steel production vehicle in the world.
And it's important to note that no previous prototype or one-off stainless steel vehicle was produced using anything similar to the hardened stainless steel used in the Cybertruck. That is evidenced by the way they are all stamped into various curved shapes. Cybertrucks steel starts out austenitic and is transformed into a martensitic stainless steel, not by using a different alloy, but by cold working it.

Interestingly, the rear quarter panels are either a different alloy or they have been more fully cold-worked because they are considerably more magnetic than even the thicker doors. Just take a magnet ot various areas of the Cybertruck to see firsthand.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
It sure looks like it will be. Tesla does not have the capital problems that plagued the startup DMC in their second year of production of 1982. As a reservation holder, I am crossing my fingers that Tesla continues cranking them out and gets past the foundation series phase when my number is called, which is likely to be next year.

And it's important to note that no previous prototype or one-off stainless steel vehicle was produced using anything similar to the hardened stainless steel used in the Cybertruck. That is evidenced by the way they are all stamped into various curved shapes. Cybertrucks steel starts out austenitic and is transformed into a martensitic stainless steel, not by using a different alloy, but by cold working it.

Interestingly, the rear quarter panels are either a different alloy or they have been more fully cold-worked because they are considerably more magnetic than even the thicker doors. Just take a magnet ot various areas of the Cybertruck to see firsthand.
These are exciting times in the automotive world! As a DeLorean owner and enthusiast, I never thought I’d see another stainless steel vehicle offered in my lifetime. I am amazed at the significant enhancements that Tesla has made to using this metal alloy for vehicle production.

Last edited:

motleytwins

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck; 2018 Model X; 2016 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Retired Military Officer
Country flag

20240506_114236.jpg
20240506_114115.jpg
20240506_114223.jpg
20240506_113949.jpg
20240506_113912.jpg
20240506_114001.jpg
That’s an awesome experience! Thanks for sharing, as I’m sure that most people never thought about where stainless steel was invented!😊

BeFamousVideo

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telsa M3 Long Range. CT Beast expected 3/2024
Occupation
AI Automation Agency owner
Country flag

Do you mean to say that when the steel is more cold worked, or bent without breaking, that this causes the steel to be more magnetic?

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you mean to say that when the steel is more cold worked, or bent without breaking, that this causes the steel to be more magnetic?
Yes, it changes the molecular structure from a austenitic SS to a martensitic SS, it transforms from being almost entirely non-magnetic to being moderately magnetic. This is also what makes it so tough. The molecular structure has been transformed under great pressure. It also increases it's surface hardness and its resistance to crevice corrosion.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Yes, it changes the molecular structure from a austenitic SS to a martensitic SS, it transforms from being almost entirely non-magnetic to being moderately magnetic. This is also what makes it so tough. The molecular structure has been transformed under great pressure. It also increases it's surface hardness and its resistance to crevice corrosion.
Doesn't that make it more likely to attract metallic dust, i.e. rust? Now I'm worried.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Doesn't that make it more likely to attract metallic dust, i.e. rust? Now I'm worried.
It's less magnetic than cars made of thin, soft steel that are actually capable of rusting right through their protective zinc and paint layers. The stainless steel on the Cybertruck doesn't rust. Attracting rust? Only if the rust has a magnetic charge. The Cybertruck is made of magnetic stainless steel, that means it will attract magnets, just like a regular car made of thin, soft steel. Steel will not attract steel unless one of them is magnetized.
Sponsored