White House to Meet with GM, Ford, others to Discuss EVs

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
...really rude to insist you know what privilege means, when you then describe something which is irrelevant to privilege existing.

Privilege is not, by default, unearned. It is the property of having an advantage.

Their success created the privilege.

-Crissa
I don't feel rude for having questioned the meaning of "privilege" in the context you used it. Which was that Tesla doesn't need subsidies because they are privileged. It would seem sufficient to simply say they don't need the subsidies. I'm not sure what extra meaning it adds to say "because they are privileged". Why not just say they don't need them?

In your opinion, are GM and Ford privileged also? Why or why not.

You have a lot of money, or at least enough cash flow to buy a brand new Cybertruck, are you a financially privileged person? Who would NOT be considered privileged? A homeless person has an advantage in that he or she doesn't have to pay rent or a mortgage, does that make them privileged? I'm not being rude, just trying to understand how you are using the word "privileged".
Sponsored

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
So, my son tells me that you used a bad word. I asked, "Which word?" He tells me the "S" word. 2nd grade is so different these days from when I went to school.
It's funny, I was watching some Youtube the other day and "1996 ads" was playing. One of the ads said how "a portion from every sale will go toward helping retarded children!" I almost spit out my tea. It was over the course of my youth the the word retarded became vilified. It was first just a descriptor of a medical condition, but then it had to be replaced with "handicapped" or "disabled". Then it was "differently abled" which is hilarious in its attempt to not describe the situation. I always remember my mother scoffing at the foolishness of society, and the never-ending attempts to replace a word with another, in an effort to somehow stop people from using the meaning of the word to hurt. Ultimately the condition is what it is. It's not pleasant, and it's not something a person would choose for themselves. And being called it can always have a mean or hurtful message. No matter what descriptor you use, that will always be the case. Kids of one generation will mock someone as retarded, kids of the next will mock them as differently abled.

Stupid is by no possible interpretation a bad word. Some people are smart, some are stupid. That's fact. Some actions are smart, some stupid. It can be used hurtfully; that's something I've always tried to avoid doing. But we need to blame the people, not the words. /end rant.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
...really rude to insist you know what privilege means, when you then describe something which is irrelevant to privilege existing.

Privilege is not, by default, unearned. It is the property of having an advantage.

Their success created the privilege.

-Crissa
Actually, it's you that doesn't understand the word's meaning. Privilege IS by default, unearned:

"a right or benefit that is given to some people and not to others"

Given, not earned. It may be given as result of earning; An Olympic athlete may be given the privilege of attending VIP parties because of their achievements, but to be a privilege it must given by another. You could say their life is privileged because their genetics gave them an advantage, but not that their medal is a privilege because they earned through competing.

In the case of Tesla, they don't need subsidies because they have cash, invested in electric vehicles before it was cool and created a desirable product. None of that was given. They have an advantageous position, but not a privileged one.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I don't feel rude
That's not how rudeness works. Nor, is it how privilege works.

That you are so attached to this word and attacking it shows more about yourself than it does anything I have said. And it's not good.

Privilege is not by default unearned. You can buy VIP status on an airline. Is that not privilege earned, then?

Why are you so attached to attack this word, I wonder? Or rather, I don't, because I don't want to think badly about you guys acting out like little toddlers. "Wah-wah, Tesla can't be in a privileged position, no, wan-wah, they worked hard, therefore they can't ever be advantaged in any way!"

How is that even logical?

-Crissa

Last edited:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag

That you are so attached to this word and attacking it shows more about yourself than it does anything I have said. And it's not good.

Privilege is not by default unearned. You can buy VIP status on an airline. Is that not privilege earned, then?

Why are you so attached to attack this word, I wonder? Or rather, I don't, because I don't want to think badly about you guys acting out like little toddlers. "Wah-wah, Tesla can't be in a privileged position, no, wan-wah, they worked hard, therefore they can't ever be advantaged in any way!"

-Crissa
I'm not attached to the word at all. In fact you are the one who used it describe Tesla and I just think it's really telling the way you inserted the word "privileged" in there. How is that even logical?

Last edited:

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
We need the BBB for lots of other things. Yeah, Tesla doesn't need it. But that's privilege. They could push for better verbiage instead of being head-in-sand about the other needs.

-Crissa
Or, Tesla can stand for what they believe and not cave.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Who cares if Tesla gets government recognition. They are still dominating and will continue to dominate. Freemont was the most productive and efficient US auto manufacturing facility this year.. just wait for GigaTexas.

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag

-Crissa

In recent years the word privileged has been used as an attack to mean you don't deserve what you have. I doubt you meant to use it in that fashion but the way you worded it came out the same way as when it is used as an attack.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
In recent years the word privileged has been used as an attack to mean you don't deserve what you have. I doubt you meant to use it in that fashion but the way you worded it came out the same way as when it is used as an attack.
I think you mean, in recent years some very thin-skinned people were upset at having their privilege - earned or otherwise - pointed out.

Privilege isn't bad, and being aware when you've got it is key. It's no different than knowing when you're safe enough to turn and help someone else from drowning. Can't do that safely if you're drowning yourself.

But in this case I merely mean that Tesla is secure in itself and its demand. They could sit on their laurels and keep their prices high - or they could take advantage of that position and help the rest of us accelerate into a cleaner, better world.

-Crissa
Sponsored