Why doesn’t Tesla improve their customer service?

Smokeywv

First Name
Smokey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2023 Model Y, Cybertruck Dual Motor
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’ve had 3 Tesla purchases:
1) In July 2018, Model 3 Long Range. I had a hiccup on payment at pickup. Wouldn’t take credit card for payment difference (had to be check or EFT. Otherwise the experience was good. In early 2021, Major warranty service (failed drive Motor had to be replaced). Good experience. However, approx. 7 months later replacement motor problems. It took five weeks to fix and poor communications on status—bad experience!

2) In Dec 2022, Model Y Dual Motor. Very good experience.

3) In Apr 2024, Cybertruck Dual. Truck delivered to local service center in early March and failed inspection. No status on when delivery would be made. Mid-March, went to center to get status in person because I wasn’t getting any replies to my app inquiries. Told waiting on parts for repair. At final delivery, rescheduled twice and told the repair fix was a firmware fix. Plus no Information on extras provided with Foundation Series. My worst delivery experience.

Lack of communications via app is bad. I found info incorrect or changing without any explanation. That’s poor customer service.

i believe your Tesla experience depends on good communications via app and a Good Service Center.
Sponsored

Mantis79

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3LR
Country flag
My Model 3 and Cyber truck were exactly the same with atrocious communication to the point i almost cancelled both orders. As a company, i really dislike Tesla. as a vehicle, 2 best vehicles i have ever owned.

I put up with it because i dont have any other options if i want a vehicle at this caliber. If competition ever steps up, Tesla will suffer.

Nolacyber

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Occupation
Exec
Country flag
Yep... its exactly the same with Starlink. Its a Musk thing... the guy needs a lesson in customer service. Right now he has a monopoly on Starlink as nobody else can get high speed net to the far reaches of the earth. So we all put up with it. I'm about to get fiber to my Utah house and I am looking forward to kicking his over priced net and crappy customer service to the curb as soon as that occurs.

But his day is coming... the competition in the EV space is beginning to make him sweat and its going to be interesting to see if he begins making Tesla a bit more competitive not only in price (which he is doing) but also in customer service. Thats next...
I love the fact that the two people most critical of Tesla service don't actually own a Tesla, lol. I was an early adopter of model S in 2012. In the beginning I had a few issues, but Tesla mobile service was impeccable. They opened a Tesla service center in New Olreans maybe 5 years ago. Service in the beginning was equally good, but recently they have been overwhelmed. Last time I visited the shop, to show them my Cybertruck, the 100 service slots were all filled. I have a service appointment on May 9 to have the accelerator pedal fix done. I could have had it done two weeks earlier if Id been willing to drive 3 hours, but the fix was no urgent.
There is no question that Tesla should invest more in their Service Centers. As they continue to sell vehicles the pressure on existing centers will increase and horror stories of long waits for repair will increase as well.
In some states local authorities are still hostile to Tesla, because of the no-dealer philosophy, and there are restrictions on services they are allowed to perform. This will change over time, most probably as a result of litigation.
The vehicles are, in general, low maintenance, but accidents happen and parts fail. Tesla should preserve their reputation by increasing service resources now. Especially important with a new and radically different product (Cybertruck)

M0unt41nm4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Ford F350 Plat, 22 F150 Plat, 20 Jeep Gladiator
Country flag
I love the fact that the two people most critical of Tesla service don't actually own a Tesla, lol.
I have a Tesla app. I message them. I get an answer 2-3 days after I send the message. That’s my experience. I have Starlink. The apps are pretty much the same thing as far as support goes. Got a problem? Send a message. Maybe someone will get back to you in 2-3 days. I have friends who own multiple Teslas. Their biggest complaint… customer service.

I got Fords. Got a problem… smile and dial. Within 30 seconds: “Ford Service, how may we be of assistance?”

just sayin… Tesla has work to do on communication and support.

Last edited:

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
For transparency, I have not owned a Tesla vehicle. I have passed on the FS but really really like the CT and will order as soon as I can after the FS ends. My one lingering concern, despite all the harsh press, is the near universal conclusion that customer service is bad, particularly if you get an early edition or a lemon. It leaves me with some questions people on this forum might be able to answer.

First, just how bad is Tesla service and customer support?

Second, given that this has been an ongoing issue why hasn’t Tesla fixed it?
Ever hear about the squeaky wheel? For the vast majority of any company, you tend to only hear the bad stories and very seldom the good ones. Also, coming from a retail management background, a lot of people exaggerate or outright lie, because they like the attention.

Nolacyber

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Occupation
Exec
Country flag
I have a Tesla app. I message them. I get an answer 2-3 days after I send the message. That’s my experience. I have Starlink. The apps are pretty much the same thing as far as support goes. Got a problem? Send a message. Maybe someone will get back to you in 2-3 days. I have friends who own multiple Teslas. Their biggest complaint… customer service.

I got Fords. Got a problem… smile and dial. Within 30 seconds: “Ford Service, how may we be of assistance?”

just sayin… Tesla has work to do on communication and support.
I guess your Vehicles tab, which only shows Fords and Jeeps as vehicles owned needs to be updated to show your Tesla. Otherwise why would you have a Tesla app if you don't have a Tesla?

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I love the fact that the two people most critical of Tesla service don't actually own a Tesla, lol. I was an early adopter of model S in 2012. In the beginning I had a few issues, but Tesla mobile service was impeccable. They opened a Tesla service center in New Olreans maybe 5 years ago. Service in the beginning was equally good, but recently they have been overwhelmed. Last time I visited the shop, to show them my Cybertruck, the 100 service slots were all filled. I have a service appointment on May 9 to have the accelerator pedal fix done. I could have had it done two weeks earlier if Id been willing to drive 3 hours, but the fix was no urgent.
There is no question that Tesla should invest more in their Service Centers. As they continue to sell vehicles the pressure on existing centers will increase and horror stories of long waits for repair will increase as well.
In some states local authorities are still hostile to Tesla, because of the no-dealer philosophy, and there are restrictions on services they are allowed to perform. This will change over time, most probably as a result of litigation.
The vehicles are, in general, low maintenance, but accidents happen and parts fail. Tesla should preserve their reputation by increasing service resources now. Especially important with a new and radically different product (Cybertruck)
Tesla is investing in Service Centers. I've got a brand new one near me in Northeast Atlanta. When I picked up my Model 3 6 years ago, there was 1 in the area, now there is 3. And there's a lot of other cities that now have Service Centers, that didn't have them even 2 years ago.

M0unt41nm4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I guess your Vehicles tab, which only shows Fords and Jeeps as vehicles owned needs to be updated to show your Tesla. Otherwise why would you have a Tesla app if you don't have a Tesla?
Lol... no. My Tesla will be a CB. My experience with customer service has been my current communication with them (or lack thereof) via the Tesla app. Why do I have a Tesla app? Because Tesla told me to set up the app to manage my order.

M0unt41nm4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla is investing in Service Centers. I've got a brand new one near me in Northeast Atlanta. When I picked up my Model 3 6 years ago, there was 1 in the area, now there is 3. And there's a lot of other cities that now have Service Centers, that didn't have them even 2 years ago.
I would love to have one. My pickup of my CB will be 5.5 hours away. Closest SC for repairs is 3.5 in Albuquerque or Santa Fe.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I would love to have one. My pickup of my CB will be 5.5 hours away. Closest SC for repairs is 3.5 in Albuquerque or Santa Fe.
Just from your username, it appears that you may want to be a Mountain Man and be away from it all. It appears that it may be your choice to stay away from civilization.

Want a Service Center nearer you, make it worth their while and get your neighbors to buy Teslas.
I'm not sure how many vehicles is enough to justify a Service Center, maybe 10,000?

Nolacyber

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Occupation
Exec
Country flag
Lol... no. My Tesla will be a CB. My experience with customer service has been my current communication with them (or lack thereof) via the Tesla app. Why do I have a Tesla app? Because Tesla told me to set up the app to manage my order.
My apologies.

M0unt41nm4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just from your username, it appears that you may want to be a Mountain Man and be away from it all. It appears that it may be your choice to stay away from civilization.

Want a Service Center nearer you, make it worth their while and get your neighbors to buy Teslas.
I'm not sure how many vehicles is enough to justify a Service Center, maybe 10,000?
hah... actually I have lots of neighbors with Teslas. One of my local good friends is an ex-Tesla engineer and still gets all the beta stuff. The good news is Tesla is building a SuperCharger in town. So we are getting there....

On the other side, my realtor had a MXP and she got rid of it because she said getting to a SC was a 3.5 hour drive and a royal PITA. I am somewhat banking on the vehicle to hopefully be trouble free (I know it's a gamble) and not have to make many jaunts to a SC.

Crossing fingers a SC can be built in the near future at a place not too far from me.

M0unt41nm4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
hah... actually I have lots of neighbors with Teslas. One of my local good friends is an ex-Tesla engineer and still gets all the beta stuff. The good news is Tesla is building a SuperCharger in town. So we are getting there....

On the other side, my realtor had a MXP and she got rid of it because she said getting to a SC was a 3.5 hour drive and a royal PITA. I am somewhat banking on the vehicle to hopefully be trouble free (I know it's a gamble) and not have to make many jaunts to a SC.

Crossing fingers a SC can be built in the near future at a place not too far from me.
I want to follow up on the population counts...

I am not sure how Tesla decides on where to place a SC. Gypsum (where I am getting mine) is in a tiny town services about 3 counties: Eagle, Garfield, and Pitkin. Those 3 counties make up a population of about 134K people. My area is in La Plata county and would service La Plata, Montezuma, Delores, Archuleta, and San Juan (NM)counties or about 218K. Removing even San Juan NM, we are still over 100K people. So I think we are ripe for a SC from a population perspective. the four corners region really needs a SC.

BannedByTMC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Those 3 counties make up a population of about 134K people.
My county in NYS is 100K and the closest Tesla service was almost 2 hours away in Rochester for years, now they have one about an hour away in Syracuse. I don't think you have anywhere near enough population to expect a service center any time soon.

M0unt41nm4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah but they put one in Gypsum with a lower local population, which was my ultimate point. There is something more for how they choose where to place a SC... rather than just population alone.
Sponsored