Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Found this:

Safety concern : In order to house the air bags and it's deploying mechanism, they make the central part of the steering or the spoke to be 3 in number so that they get more room. This space also houses the switch for the horn (honk) .

Wheel Design

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
Sorry cyber_dav I misunderstood... but now I want to know why that matters?
Not me you misunderstood, Dids, so no prob! I still thought the bottom was discontinuous. Better pictures prove me wrong.

Good thing FSD will be along soon, my mind may be too far gone for driving otherwise!

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most. :unsure:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Last edited:

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I'm chuckling at this because when I back up with a trailer I have to have my hands on the bottom of the wheel so that I can use the old move your hand in the direction you want the trailer to go mantra.

Other that that what do people think? I think it looks pretty cool.
When I first saw the yolk it was a similar reaction to when the CT was revealed, Oh crap than 30 minutes later it's growing on me. Now I think Tesla will be pioneering the look and other car manufacturers will follow at some time

It does look like you will be able to see the center screen easier.

My final thought is I like It

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
When I first saw the yolk it was a similar reaction to when the CT was revealed,
Love it (the comment - and the wheel too)! One of my first reactions to the naysayers was to wonder if it's acceptance would parallel that of the CT (from which it clearly is derived).

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Steering wheel shape

I'm cautiously optimistic that I will like the new shape. Or at least not dislike it.​
Automatic direction selection (Forward/Reverse)

I will of course have to try it before having an informed opinion, but right now I can think of many scenarios where I can't see how it can select correctly. Right now it seems it would be more of a nuisance than being helpful.​
Turn signal buttons on wheel instead of stalk

Again, I cannot make an informed opinion without actually trying it but right now I have strong reservations on this. My current vehicle and last two vehicles have had volume control on the steering wheel. Has anyone else ever had something really loud come on the radio while you were turning a corner and you were confused where the volume buttons were because the steering wheel was not in a position where your hand normally goes for volume down? Last night while driving I was thinking about this. There were more times than I thought there would be where the wheel was turned when I activated a turn signal. Also, I wonder if or how they will duplicate the "tap" the stalk for a three blink lane change signal vs. "full press" to signal an actual turn.​

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Automatic direction selection (Forward/Reverse)
That one I'm not too crazy about. There will have to be some way to over ride - perhaps via the touch screen.
Turn signal buttons on wheel instead of stalk

Again, I cannot make an informed opinion without actually trying it but right now I have strong reservations on this. My current vehicle and last two vehicles have had volume control on the steering wheel. Has anyone else ever had something really loud come on the radio while you were turning a corner and you were confused where the volume buttons were because the steering wheel was not in a position where your hand normally goes for volume down?​
Yes, I have but have learned to handle this. Keep in mind here that as this is a yoke it wont turn far enough to put the controls on the "wrong" side. The left wheel will always be near your left thumb,

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Yes, I have but have learned to handle this. Keep in mind here that as this is a yoke it wont turn far enough to put the controls on the "wrong" side. The left wheel will always be near your left thumb,
Is this your assumption, or have they said the turn ratio will be different from a typical car.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Is this your assumption, or have they said the turn ratio will be different from a typical car.
Oh no, no. This is WAGing at it's most Wild. Sorry, I thought I was in the thread on this subject on the Rivian forum where someone pointed out that you couldn't really do hand over hand manipulations with a yoke and the discussion went quickly to different "gearing" ratios and whether it would be fly by wire rather than gears that steered the truck (or X and S). If it turns out you can rotate the yoke more than 180 ° then indeed you will have the problem you describe. But in that case note that with respect to the turn signals at least that wheel is generally pretty much neutral when you signal a turn.

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
That one I'm not too crazy about. There will have to be some way to over ride - perhaps via the touch screen.

Elon had said recently you will be able to disable the automatic gear selection, I think it may have been on a Twitter post

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I am hoping Cybertruck gets this yoke.
For all you wonks who pay attention to such matters, your remarks on the legality of this. Why is this version okay but the prototype was verboten?
This latest iteration demonstrates design evolution. If its in the right direction as the gods intend, as they waiver away from the all mighty wheel from last century.

This iteration is dimensionally thicker around like a Tesla steer wheel - with top cut off. The dimensionality is maintained contiguous with changes in angle and across the dish of the inner wheel hub. Drivers hands and fingers can hook, become entrapped and seriously injured from rapid rotational kickback in the first prototype wheel shown. Kickback such as digging into a high curb at obtuse angle of approach may be AI controllable by wire in the future. (read safer)

This iteration still encourages an attractive nuisance use of the inner space gap at 9 o’clock and 3 o’clock down low. Current wheel designs fill the 9&3 gap to prevent hand use of that inner wheel position. Horn and radio controls effectively push hands to the outer wheel rim. Safety teaches 9 and 3 hand position to keep hands from perching on the inner rim area.(10&2 last century)

Drivers will get used to a yoke as did pilots. It would take all of 15 min. Tesla drive by wire yoke is signaling that steering is moving away from the mechanical wheel. AI is future. Drive by wire is here now. It opens the door for yoke feedback as well as direct AI augmentation.

I’m in favor of the yoke as-is and keeping remote controls at 9&3. This iteration is passable with waiver, at least. Let the gods waiver while this yoke yields evidence-based fact to support a move away from the mechanical wheel.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I like to drive with my hand on 12 o’clock quite often.
...And that's discouraged, because the air bag is likely to propel your hand into your face.

I was wondering about switch-backs, they're pretty common in the mountains. That's my only time touching 12, as I hold a long turn.

-Crissa
Sponsored