stumby

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S P90D
Country flag
Tesla just announced that Model Y production has started and deliveries will start by end of this March! This represents an acceleration of the original schedule by almost a year.

To me this bodes really well for the Cybertruck production being moved up. The company seems to have a good grasp on production now and is consistently beating its product timing estimates recently. Once the semi starts production later this year, it should be a clear path to move the Cybertruck dates up.
Sponsored

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1T QM, R1S QM, Zero S ZF
Occupation
Electric Bum
Country flag
Great news. I think Elon and Tesla has learned a lot from Model 3 ramp up. Model Y will roll out more smoothly and efficiently. By the time Cybertruck goes into production, I believe things will be even better. I can't wait for my Cybertruck!

bcexperts

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
HD F150, HD Wideglide
Occupation
sales
Country flag
Remember it about batteries, batteries & batteries. So assuming CT will be built sooner is not a given. Elon also said there is more demand than what they can build in 3 to 4 years, so don't count on driving your CT even if you have a very low reservation number any time in the next 2 or 3 years.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1T QM, R1S QM, Zero S ZF
Occupation
Electric Bum
Country flag
That will work for me too. An extended wait will give me more time to enjoy my Model 3 DM before I trade it in for the Cybertruck. And I have my Rivian R1T coming late 2020 or 1st quarter of 2021. This should keep me happy for a while?

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Wishful thinking, day 1 and day 2 reservation numbers will be produced in 2020.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
As stated above batteries are the big question. Can Tesla production keep up. With the Model Y about to explode onto the scene and the potential demand for it, Tesla will be busy for quite some time before they look at the CT production. We will learn more at the battery day.

Marc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
BNSF Railway
Country flag
Model Y also shares a majority of its parts with Model 3 meaning that they already had a good deal in place to speed things up.

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Model Y also shares a majority of its parts with Model 3 meaning that they already had a good deal in place to speed things up.
AND they knew that when they gave the production dates.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
As stated above batteries are the big question.
No doubt about that. Mercedes is saying they can't deliver their BEV because Tesla has gobbled up all the batteries. They have not only gobbled up the batteries, they have gobbled up the companies that make them and the companies that make the machines that are used to make them and the professors that advance the state of the art. They have demonstrated awareness of the importance of battery supply and taken steps, to the apparent detriment of other manufacturers, to insure adequate supply for themselves.

Can Tesla production keep up?
I'd say things look good but I certainly can't answer the question.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
It's great, of course, that lithium battery production is accelerating on fronts other than Tesla's but I still think battery supply sufficiency is a concern. BMW gets batteries from CATL. Why didn't Mercedes just go to them?

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
This is all missing the point that Tesla hinted at Maxwell dry electrode tech becoming a consumer reality soon, which is why they bought the company. It's possible that the CT will be the pilot line for a new battery altogether. That would change the lead time markedly.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
When I mentioned Tesla buying up the companies that make the batteries Maxwell was one of the companies I had in mind.
Sponsored