Will Tesla Insurance cover Cybertruck in all states?

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I suppose part of what seems obvious here but also seems lost on many people is that Tesla is the first company in the world to have extremely detailed collision and driver behavior stats. So their rates are either:

a. Arbitrary and capricious because reasons.

b. Well studied by people who are great at math and based on their actual risk.

The other insurance companies are limited in the data they can collect. They can tell where you are, but not your proximity to other cars.

One thing I hate is that I'm on AP 98% of the time and can still get dinged for being too close because some idiot threw himself in front of me. On the other hand, I've also learned to apply my motorcycle lizard brain and realize that the idiots often telegraph their intentions (but not a turn signal of course). So I've been playing at beating the car at making decisions.

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
We were the first state to have Tesla insurance.

It just can't do the thing where they track live individual gps to change rates. Just because you live on the poor side of town is no reason to charge you higher insurance.

-Crissa
We have two Tesla's insured by Tesla and the rates are competitive with other insurers. You (like California's Insurance Commission) assume the most negative narrative of Tesla variable rate plan hence, I can't currently get a safe driver discount. Higher rates based upon where you live has always been a factor in auto insurance for obvious reasons both good (high accident rates, high claim losses) and bad (any racial or economic profiling). Tesla is the only automotive company with real time data to allow driver skill factoring into insurance rates.

My wife tells me I'm not the most conservative driver and yet I have a safety score in the 90's and would probably qualify for a lower rate, but good old CA won't allow this safe driver reward which I think is stupid policy ...

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You could qualify for a safe driver award with another company.

They just can't use live updating rates.

We can't just assume that companies won't violate people's privacy or discriminate when they've been caught doing so, so many times before.

-Crissa

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Call me naïve but I don't think it is in the Tesla DNA to violate privacy nor discriminate against their customers. I willingly give them all my driving data and accordingly, would like to take advantage of better pricing for safer drivers. This is very different from the old insurers generalized statistics for insurance rate setting.

Having that very detailed driving behaviour info out there makes me, and I'm sure many others more responsible drivers. It's all about accountability and I'm a big fan of that.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Even if it's not intentional, violations can happen.

If they want to make the case that they can provide a higher quality product that's less intrusive, they are allowed to lobby for changes in the state house.

-Crissa

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Even if it's not intentional, violations can happen.

If they want to make the case that they can provide a higher quality product that's less intrusive, they are allowed to lobby for changes in the state house.

-Crissa
A piece of legislation (Prop 103) approved by CA voters in 1988 that was approved specifically for protecting citizens Health and Financial Information from disclosure. That is 10 plus years before the first modern EV's were created. The legislations broad scope allowed its being coopted to cover Tesla's use of telematics (driver behaviour) as a means of setting vehicle insurance rates.

Tesla specifically uses it in other states to set their rates and this coopted legislation represents more governmental interference in issues and technology it simply doesn't understand.

You are correct that under the current administration, an amended bill probably needs to be introduced and voted upon. It is unfortunate that the specifics here are more policy related than settled law and this driver behavior data should be available to insurers as is your DMV record. This is an issue I will be paying attention to as should others.
Sponsored