LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
Thought the high-end design was the lasers? The the em, then regular?

-Crissa
Maybe I’m losing track of options mentioned here, but there was also talk of an «airblade» wiper straight after the launch. I dont know how viable that is.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Just like there are three tiers of CT, there could be three tiers of windshield wiper design: the high option of course is the proposed electromagnetic design for the tri-motor version. The dual-motor version would get a standard two wiper blade design that we have all lived with for decades (hopefully, it won't run off of vacuum like my 1950 Ford did). Then for the single motor version it is a spray bottle of
Rain-X and the pedal to the metal (or compressed paper, whichever the case may be.
I mean, if you want to completely re-think windshield wipers, wouldn't a powerful blast of air through a slit (like the Model 3 interior air) along the plane of the windshield also keep the water off it?

They could use spacex thrusters..... :cool:

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
I like the idea of an air knife, but having set them up before, they require a lot of air flow to work correctly. We don't know the compressor specs yet, but we do know it's supposed to be good enough to run air hose tools. Maybe it'll be feasible, but it's wait and see for now.
Wouldn’t it have to be a warmed up airflow too? Because of thermodynamics (details which I can’t explain) air, initially at high pressure, cools significantly when that pressure is released. Which could cause it to freeze any moisture on the windows even in non-freezing weather.

I’m not betting on this complex solution being employed, but I like how invisible it is.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
It seems logical that all three flavors of the CT and updated Roadster will use the EM wiper system.

It appears the CT has enough room behind the frunk, under the hood, in front of the windshield, to mount the system.

I imagine the trailing edge of the hood will raise up to reveal the wiper when it's needed. When not needed, the hood is flush with the windshield, improving aerodynamics.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Some say that the Cybertruck will not need windshield wipers at all because the windshield glass will be so polished that nothing will stick to it. Although I am still skeptical it will be made of aluminium oxynitride, maybe for tri-motor version only or as an option
All CT variants will use armor glass, but I have always been skeptical as to how well it would work to keep the windows clean. Tesla also filed for a laser windshield clearing solution about the same time as the one under discussion. What happened to that idea?

Also, aren’t pretty much all windshield wipers, motors, and wiper fluid reservoirs under the hood these days? That wouldn’t be a new feature. Part of the problem with ‘traditional’ wiper systems is that they are a system with a lot of infrastructure (mounts, fluid pumps, fluid lines, fluid and pump heaters, etc). I am sure they want to avoid all that if possible.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I imagine the trailing edge of the hood will raise up to reveal the wiper when it's needed. When not needed, the hood is flush with the windshield, improving aerodynamics.
I also imagine the trailing edge of the "hood" raising up and the wiper(s) coming out of there. My imagined wipers however were traditional, not linear motor. I would get annoyed when someone would say the prototype didn't have wipers. Just because you can't see them doesn't mean they are not there.

At first I really liked the idea. When brushing snow off of a car one of the more time consuming areas is around the wipers. With the wipers hidden clearing that area will be super quick and easy. Especially with the fact that the hood and windshield are in the same plane.

But then I thought about when the wipers are in use during a snow storm. The wipers will be pushing snow into the hidden compartment making it difficult for the compartment to close once parked.

In my opinion the best case scenario will be the wipers come out from under the raised trailing edge of the hood as described and Tesla thought of an ingenious solution to keep snow from jamming the mechanism. Or laser beams. :rolleyes:

D101010

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MYP
Country flag
How would they know they weren't intermittent?

-Crissa
My thoughts exactly, if he could observe them well enough to know they were not intermittent there was obviously enough visibility to not need them in my opinion. Never a good idea to argue with someone when they pull you over.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Some say that the Cybertruck will not need windshield wipers at all because the windshield glass will be so polished that nothing will stick to it. Although I am still skeptical it will be made of aluminium oxynitride, maybe for tri-motor version only or as an option
Being Canadian I say ice and snow will stick to it

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
more than what someone from Texas might consider a freak blizzard....here we call that "October."
I don't think you understand what hit Texas.

Sure, they're unprepared for the cold.

But they got hit with high winds, thunderstorms, and freezing rain when it arrived. The kind of weather which has paralyzed Canada. See also 2013.

I hate that I have to defend Texas, of all places.

-Crissa
Sponsored