Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 FJ Cruiser NSSE, Cybertruck trimotor
Occupation
parapyropig
Country flag
With a gross vehicle weight estimated to be in the neighborhood of 8000 pounds, you’d need upwards of a 15,000 - 16,000 pound winch.

My other thoughts/concerns would be how to mount one on the front; would it be able to be mounted semi internally (not to mention be able to be wired), or would it have to be mounted in an external bumper like other conventional 4 x 4‘s.

The lack of hard data and specifications available at this point is testing my patience. ?
Sponsored

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
My hope is in the frunk. Winch is protected and does not interfere with the aerodynamics. It would be really sweet if there was a winch plate already in the frunk.
I like this idea! Only concern would be how the cable comes out? ?

UpToNoGood

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tacoma 4x4, 2015 Super Tenere
Occupation
Cyber stuff
Country flag
Replacement bumper in the front with a 2" receiver tube. Get a winch that comes in a cradle. Wire both front and back of the truck. Pin the winch cradle in either front or back depending on the direction you need to be winched out. When done put the winch back in the Frunk. This solution keeps the winch out of the weather and doesn't change the front end very much. Also allows for both direction winching.

UpToNoGood

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tacoma 4x4, 2015 Super Tenere
Occupation
Cyber stuff
Country flag
Elon could save us all the trouble by offering the front bumper with a built in 2" receiver tube and wire both the front and back for the winch as an option.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
It’s easy to wire a winch into a conventional vehicle. I wouldn’t know the first thing about wiring in to the TCT.

Fingers crossed that Elon takes these things into account.
So far Tesla has had a conventional 12v battery in there vehicles. It would wire up the same way as any other.

Otherwise we can wire it to the main battery and make it super fast!! ? Plaid mode winch!!

Ordinaryguy

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 4 Runner Offroad
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Replacement bumper in the front with a 2" receiver tube. Get a winch that comes in a cradle. Wire both front and back of the truck. Pin the winch cradle in either front or back depending on the direction you need to be winched out. When done put the winch back in the Frunk. This solution keeps the winch out of the weather and doesn't change the front end very much. Also allows for both direction winching.
Yeah, that sounds good, but big winches are heavy, and lugging a 80 Lb winch around and sliding it into a 2" receiver isnt for everyone, UpToKnowGood. It would be easy to allow for a winch driven by a PTO, to minimize weight. PTO driven winches are stronger than the bumper winches powered by a small electric motor. A more elegant solution for a vehicle like the Cybertruck, if the designers are on the ball and want it to have off road capability.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Yeah, that sounds good, but big winches are heavy, and lugging a 80 Lb winch around and sliding it into a 2" receiver isnt for everyone, UpToKnowGood. It would be easy to allow for a winch driven by a PTO, to minimize weight. PTO driven winches are stronger than the bumper winches powered by a small electric motor. A more elegant solution for a vehicle like the Cybertruck, if the designers are on the ball and want it to have off road capability.
So, on an ALL ELECTRIC vehicle.. you don't expect an electric motor to drive the winch?

Ordinaryguy

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 4 Runner Offroad
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So, on an ALL ELECTRIC vehicle.. you don't expect an electric motor to drive the winch?
Haha, not at all just driven by the vehicle not by a Mickey Mouse winch motor made in China.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Haha, not at all just driven by the vehicle not by a Mickey Mouse winch motor made in China.
I think that would WAY over complicated things.. So now your talking about disconnecting the motors from the drive unit so they can spin an independent Shaft that runs to the winch?. Even if your talking about a Hydraulic PTO.. that is still way over complicated.

Lets be honest.. how many PTO winches do you actually see around anymore being installed on new vehicles??

Oh and yeah.. Tesla producing parts in CHINA!?!? that will never happen... ?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
So far Tesla has had a conventional 12v battery in there vehicles. It would wire up the same way as any other.
It's not conventional in the sense that it is tiny - does not have to operate a starting motor. I would think a winch would need a higher capacity battery.

But then we wonder whether the CT will have a battery. Why not a DC/DC converter or...

Otherwise we can wire it to the main battery and make it super fast!! ? Plaid mode winch!!
The current cars have a high voltage compressor motor in the HVAC/cooling system. That's the only other high voltage motor I am aware of (other than the traction motors, of course). I'm guessing that they will try to avoid doing this out of the desire to avoid 400 V wiring. Be interesting to see what they actually wind up doing as I think a winch is definitely something buyers will want.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
It's not conventional in the sense that it is tiny - does not have to operate a starting motor. I would think a winch would need a higher capacity battery.

But then we wonder whether the CT will have a battery. Why not a DC/DC converter or...

The current cars have a high voltage compressor motor in the HVAC/cooling system. That's the only other high voltage motor I am aware of (other than the traction motors, of course). I'm guessing that they will try to avoid doing this out of the desire to avoid 400 V wiring. Be interesting to see what they actually wind up doing as I think a winch is definitely something buyers will want.
I was more talking about using existing aftermarket winches on the truck.. Warn, superwinch ect. The plaid mode part was a joke not serious, i wouldnt want a high speed winch

Do you know how the current 12v battery is charged? In most winching situations its really about how powerful your charging system is, the battery is just a buffer. Without the Alternator and engine running they will kill any battery FAST.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Do you know how the current 12v battery is charged?
There is a DC/DC converter which you can think of as a battery charger supplied by 385 VDC.

In most winching situations its really about how powerful your charging system is, the battery is just a buffer. Without the Alternator and engine running they will kill any battery FAST.
That would be the case here too so the ability to have a winch is going to influence the design of the DC/DC converter. Note that the CT is going to have an air compressor too. Will it be a real air compressor that can run air tools (the fact that there will be 240 V outlets suggests that it will) or just a dinky little thing that can handle a flat? Put air compressor, inverter and the ability to install a winch together and you have strong indications that he low voltage system in the CT is going to be appreciably different from what's in the current Tesla lineup.

Ordinaryguy

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 4 Runner Offroad
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think that would WAY over complicated things.. So now your talking about disconnecting the motors from the drive unit so they can spin an independent Shaft that runs to the winch?. Even if your talking about a Hydraulic PTO.. that is still way over complicated.

Lets be honest.. how many PTO winches do you actually see around anymore being installed on new vehicles??

Oh and yeah.. Tesla producing parts in CHINA!?!? that will never happen... ?
Yeah, I’m thinking outside the box. Tesla could do something different for winching besides having a warn winch hanging off the front. Tesla is building entire vehicles in China haha. You don’t know much about winches or off reading
Sponsored