Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Single motor
Occupation
IT Guy
Country flag
I'm wondering if there will be a good bike rack option, and also how hanging bikes off the back of the tailgate will affect the drive-ability of the truck.
Sponsored

OP
OP

wescon2

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Single motor
Occupation
IT Guy
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Bike rack option 1589562695673

But would something like this be possible or would it block sensors and cause confusion? The slide out is cool but would potentially limit the number of bikes possible to transport to 2.

How do existing Tesla vehicles handle similar obstructions?

Cyber Hitch

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Occupation
Owner/Operator
Country flag
1589562695673.png

But would something like this be possible or would it block sensors and cause confusion? The slide out is cool but would potentially limit the number of bikes possible to transport to 2.

How do existing Tesla vehicles handle similar obstructions?
We are demonstrating the versatility of the Cyber Hitch. Our hitch design can do a lot more than just pull trailers. The renderings showed a 2 bike rack. That was not necessarily what it is capable of. We are putting together a proposal for Yakama and Thule to become our Rack Source. Demand will dictate what they would design. ex. 2 bike, 4 bike, 6 bike rack, kayak rack, ski rack etc. With the rack in place it would tell the CyberTruck to disable the bed cover. So you would not be able to close the truck bed cover with certain racks. Or It may alert you that the bike rack is in place, before you decide to close the cover. I would be concerned about theft. If the rack had anti-theft features, I would feel a lot more comfortable when to stop to get lunch and when you come back your bikes are still there.

Glenn
Cyber Hitch

jbrozenick

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi 2018 S5
Country flag
We are demonstrating the versatility of the Cyber Hitch. Our hitch design can do a lot more than just pull trailers. The renderings showed a 2 bike rack. That was not necessarily what it is capable of. We are putting together a proposal for Yakama and Thule to become our Rack Source. Demand will dictate what they would design. ex. 2 bike, 4 bike, 6 bike rack, kayak rack, ski rack etc. With the rack in place it would tell the CyberTruck to disable the bed cover. So you would not be able to close the truck bed cover with certain racks. Or It may alert you that the bike rack is in place, before you decide to close the cover. I would be concerned about theft. If the rack had anti-theft features, I would feel a lot more comfortable when to stop to get lunch and when you come back your bikes are still there.

Glenn
Cyber Hitch
Does the hitch tie into the built in T-track or will this need to be a custom install job requiring modifications and cutting into the bed?

Cyber Hitch

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Occupation
Owner/Operator
Country flag
There is one receiver, which is a flat plate underneath the bed of the truck. A bike rack will have it's own coupler, as will a 5th wheel trailer. Let's suppose that every cyber truck came with a receiver OEM from Tesla, under the bed. Everyone, would be able to use it for whatever they want. If your asking if one coupler would be able to be adaptive to multiple devices or racks... We will have to research the feasibility and easabilty of of doing that. With the racks most likely, 5th wheel trailers, no.

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
=-)
Country flag
This question just made me wonder where the camera is for the rear view mirror? Depending where we put bikes will we block it?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Tesla recommends using a hitch rack as it interferes with aerodynamics the least. There seems to be the same roof mounts on the Cybertruck as the Model 3 and Y. And as mentioned, the Cybertruck is intended to have deck-track that allows mounting there. Since the tailgate is a ramp, you might prefer that to the 'hang over the back' option. You'd just ride up and lock the wheel in place.

We can't say what sensors will be blocked, since that's still in design.

-Crissa

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
=-)
Country flag
Exactly but a backup camera is a “nice to have” thing. Losing your rear view mirror just because you have bikes on a hitch or the tailgate down would kinda suck. That’s what makes me think the rear view camera will also serve as a mirror when needed unless they use more than one camera in different spots to make up for this.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Exactly but a backup camera is a “nice to have” thing. Losing your rear view mirror just because you have bikes on a hitch or the tailgate down would kinda suck. That’s what makes me think the rear view camera will also serve as a mirror when needed unless they use more than one camera in different spots to make up for this.
This is the reason most backup cameras are by the rear license plate. You are required to not block the visibility of the license plate.

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
=-)
Country flag
This is the reason most backup cameras are by the rear license plate. You are required to not block the visibility of the license plate.
True but every hitch bicycle rack blocks the license plate and majority of people (I’m guilty of this) dont remove their plate to be more visible.

CybrTrkWdWk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor FSD
Occupation
Design, Woodworking
Country flag
The rear camera on CT prototype isn't on the tailgate. There is one on either side of license plate so they should still be of some use even with tailgate down.
Sponsored