FarAway

First Name
I.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pontiac Torrent, TVR, F-250 Super Duty
Country flag
Does Tesla participate in any auto shows?

The Washington DC show is coming up and there is no Tesla presence. Just wondering if we will get a chance to actually see a Cybertruck before it goes into production. I am still resisting the urge to fly across the country and visit Petersen's.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Not really. They took a page out of Apple’s playbook.

Go to a big show and your announcements get mixed in with a giant pile of mixed news and media coverage is sparse and intermixed with a bunch of other industry news. Put on your own events and the media is forced to cover you separately and you dominate the news for a week or more.

They do have things like their Peterson exhibit though.

OP
OP
FarAway

FarAway

First Name
I.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pontiac Torrent, TVR, F-250 Super Duty
Country flag
Makes sense, thank you, Ogre.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag

The Washington DC show is coming up and there is no Tesla presence. Just wondering if we will get a chance to actually see a Cybertruck before it goes into production. I am still resisting the urge to fly across the country and visit Petersen's.
I drove 1 hour to The Petersen Museum and enjoyed spending time there. BUT, it's very obvious that is not the Cybertruck that we will see once they go into production. That is a concept vehicle that was made to grab attention (and it did).

My advice is to not bother flying across the country to see that concept vehicle. It's not going to give you any answers to the questions we all have. Over 3 years since the reveal and we are getting crumbs for answers, or basically none.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
Auto shows are for manufacturers to hype their latest model updates and show off concept vehicles that may never be produced.
My guess is it is not cheap to display and put on a dog and pony show at these events.
Tesla doesn't go to trade shows for the same reason they don't pay PR firms to push a product.
They don't need to.
Teslas sell themselves and will continue to do so for a long time.
The CT has over a million pre-orders and once they hit the street the demand will soar. Telsa will sell every one they produce much to the detriment of the legacy automakers.
The CT will smoke every other electric truck like a cheap cigar.
You can take that to the bank.
Brand loyalty and the Lightning might save Ford's bacon if they spin off the EV division and get rid of the UAW.
The rest of them are on life support and will be bankrupt or on government welfare before the end of this decade.

mhaze

First Name
mhike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3; Smartcar; F150 Raptor; Avalanche 2500 4x4
Country flag

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag

Makers have to pay big bucks to rent floor space at these shows. So it's a form of advertising, and Tesla doesn't advertise.

Which is one reason why my next vehicle will be a Tesla. If I bought anything else, I'd be paying back to the maker what it spent to get me to buy it.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Makers have to pay big bucks to rent floor space at these shows. So it's a form of advertising, and Tesla doesn't advertise.

Which is one reason why my next vehicle will be a Tesla. If I bought anything else, I'd be paying back to the maker what it spent to get me to buy it.
FROM THE GLOBE AND MAIL: "Shows are still an expensive place to be, too. The bigger the show, the bigger the costs. At Frankfurt, the huge halls devoted to showcase the home-town brands of Volkswagen and Daimler were estimated to cost those exhibitors upwards of $40-million each; at New York, a major automaker can spend close to $5-million for a large display exhibit. The cars are the cheapest part of it. The true costs come with hotel bills and staffing, booth installation, lighting, maintenance and getting everything safely delivered and then removed from a unionized display hall."
Sponsored