m.delmed129

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, LR, DM, FSD. Cybertruck Res.
Country flag
I’m sure someone has mentioned this in a thread..and my search methods came up empty.

I am starting this by saying, I love the design for the Cybertruck. I bought my Model 3, after seeing the original semi based Truck concept (and previously the Model 3 reveal). My original plan was and still is to trade in for the truck.

I can’t help but think the recent patent issues surrounding the Semi, led to them redesigning the entire truck, to what it is today. I really liked the original sketch based on the Semi design, but am equally fond of the current design as well.

Thoughts? Previously stated?
Sponsored

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I’m sure someone has mentioned this in a thread..and my search methods came up empty.

I am starting this by saying, I love the design for the Cybertruck. I bought my Model 3, after seeing the original semi based Truck concept (and previously the Model 3 reveal). My original plan was and still is to trade in for the truck.

I can’t help but think the recent patent issues surrounding the Semi, led to them redesigning the entire truck, to what it is today. I really liked the original sketch based on the Semi design, but am equally fond of the current design as well.

Thoughts? Previously stated?
There hasn't been much talk about the Semi here other than battery stuff. I didn't think Tesla redesigned the Semi because the patents in question were overturned when the patent office said the designs between Tesla and Nikola were not similar enough.

OP
OP
m.delmed129

m.delmed129

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There hasn't been much talk about the Semi here other than battery stuff. I didn't think Tesla redesigned the Semi because the patents in question were overturned when the patent office said the designs between Tesla and Nikola were not similar enough.
I’m sorry I should’ve clarified, I’m speaking to the design changes to the eventual Tesla Truck, from the concept unveiled at the Semi event.

Nikola has recently seen some recent traction with their lawsuit, which I’m just theorizing gave Tesla pause on rolling out another product with a similar design.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I’m sorry I should’ve clarified, I’m speaking to the design changes to the eventual Tesla Truck, from the concept unveiled at the Semi event.

Nikola has recently seen some recent traction with their lawsuit, which I’m just theorizing gave Tesla pause on rolling out another product with a similar design.
The "victory" was hollow for Nikola and is considered a win of sorts for Tesla. The article I read said that this paves the way for Tesla to carry on. I think what you'll see is that as soon as the Cybertruck factory is completed, Tesla will start pooping out Semis from it as well as Cybertrucks.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
It was actually a dumb move for Nikola and their recent "victory" will doubtless turn out to be Pyrrhic. The claims are so groundless that they will never stand up in court thereby costing Nikola, and Tesla, a ton of money with, of course, Tesla having the much bigger war chest.

But more to the point; what does Nikola's patent dispute have to do with the CT?

OP
OP
m.delmed129

m.delmed129

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It was actually a dumb move for Nikola and their recent "victory" will doubtless turn out to be Pyrrhic. The claims are so groundless that they will never stand up in court thereby costing Nikola, and Tesla, a ton of money with, of course, Tesla having the much bigger war chest.

But more to the point; what does Nikola's patent dispute have to do with the CT?
The point of this post was just theorizing that the original design was changed, due to issues they were already experiencing with this patent claim.

The attached image is what I’m referencing. This is what they showed at the Semi reveal. Same design that would be subject to patent dispute, as it covered the door and wraparound window design.
Tesla Cybertruck The real reason for the design...? F6C5EB44-A2BC-4EBB-AB23-C448D9104786

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I highly doubt the patent lawsuit had anything to do CT design. That pic I believe was to show something, anything just as a teaser of a truck and also represented the potential size. Elon laughed about how insanely large they could make it if they wanted to.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
When companies get down to competing with their lawyers instead of their engineers some weird stuff happens. Tesla is going to have to brush Nikola aaside in court to build the Semi so there doesn't seem to be much reason to worry about Nikola with respect to the CT. Plus the current CT design confers many advantages in manufacturability relative to the picture shown in #6. Those, I expect, were the main reasons for going with the current design. Risky from the point of view of market acceptance but it seems to have paid off.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
The design of the cybertruck is basically all about manufacturing and production simplicity. I would argue if they had a list of goals for the design to achieve those would probably be at the very top. This is something Elon Musk has spoke a lot about, removing unnecessary items and processes from vehicle production. Another reason why this cybertruck will be so affordable compared to other trucks. The cybertruck is a VERY good example of form following function.

With that said, i seriously doubt it has ANYTHING to do with that vaporware trucking compny.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
The lawsuit was over the similarity of the Semis and had NOTHING to do with the Cybertruck.
This. CT was top to bottom redesign based on purpose, not tradition.

Also, the lawsuit is falling apart because there were several prototype trucks over the years that looked like that already, including a normal diesel truck called the "airflow starship".

Tesla Cybertruck The real reason for the design...? shell-airflow-starship-truck-in-gila-bend-az-on-cross-country-fuel-economy-run_100653868
Sponsored