I'm going to rent a Model 3. Any suggestions?

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I do not own an EV. I have some, but limited experience with them. I found Hertz would rent me a standard range Model 3 for $300 for the week and decided to rent it this week. I plan on doing my regular 280 mile trip back to my family for Easter so I'm already looking at all the Supercharger options.

Does anyone have any suggestions on things I should try, look into or avoid when I rent it?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bill906

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Oh... has anyone rented from Hertz before? I'm curious if I'll be allowed to connect it to my Tesla app, or if I'll have to use the key cards and not be able to precondition or other controls from the app.

CyberSleuth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hot Wheels 1:10 Cybertruck
Country flag
I've rented a Model S from Enterprise in the past and had a good experience overall. It sounds like you got a great price. For what it's worth, you might consider purchasing the extra insurance, as the rental car coverage included by major credit cards usually does not cover EVs.

If I remember correctly, the Tesla will be associated to the account of corporate and I don't think you'll be able to sync it to your own app.

Enjoy the instant torque!

danofcolo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Silverado, Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I rented a M3 from Hertz for 3 weeks while in Florida last month. It was a great experience to familiarize us with the Tesla environment. We were advised at check in that we had to use the key card only. I tried to figure out how to use the app but was not successful.

We were unable to access the glove compartment as someone had used the security code. It would have been handy on the trip.

As anticipated, the Supercharger network was much better than the DCFC infrastructure that I use for my F-150 Lightning. I was also impressed with the touchscreen and how well the voice commands work. It had only the base autopilot, which is not any better that the BlueCruise on my Lightning.

We enjoyed the experience and will probably try a model Y on our next rental. It also confirmed that I'm still a truck guy and am looking forward to the CT which I plan to get when my number comes up. I won't be selling the Lightning until I have chance to compare them.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Just be sure you know where the superchargers are near your route (www.supercharge.info), or where other chargers are (www.plugshare.com) in case they might be needed. The car already knows where all superchargers are, but it still helps to be familiar and know alternate options.

Also inspect the car and make sure you know whether it has a Universal Mobile Connector (UMC) included with it, along with any adapters, J1772, CCS, etc. I thought I saw that the UMC was no longer standard included with later Model 3's and had to be ordered/purchased additionally, so you'll want to know if the car has one or not. If superchargers are always within your reach, you won't need the other adapters or UMC most likely. But if you decide to take a long drive off the 'beaten path' you just never know.

Thousand to one odds you won't need it, but also make sure the tow eye-bolt is still under the mat in the frunk.

For air in the tires, know that the TPMS sensors are only powered during driving, so any air you put in the tires will only update the pressure after you drive it a little. You may not even have to attend to this at all but I always check tire pressure before every road trip.

Optionally in the software menu, you can setup your own driver profile, and then delete it before turning in the car. This way you can set preferences without interfering with anyone else's.

They may just give you a Key Fob, but if they give you a Key Card, you might be able to temporarily pair your phone with the car and access additional features with the Tesla phone app (you'll need to have a Tesla account also, but not hard to register for). Making calls with voice commands while the car is bluetooth linked to a phone, works pretty nice, in addition to being able to preheat or precool the car, get sentry notifications, etc.

Check the software menu to see if FSD or whatever Autopilot features are activated in the car. They can help a lot with interstate driving.

You might have already known some or all of this but FYI just in case needed.

- ÆCIII

Last edited:

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
I rented a MY while my X was in the shop (from Hertz), and recently a M3LR (also from Hertz) while it was back in the shop for an unrelated reason. Both times it was a great experience.

There is not a way (that I've seen) to pair the vehicle with the Tesla app. Due to that, you'll lose a lot of the nice-ness of actual Tesla ownership.

Check to make sure you have the charger and the adaptor, but otherwise you should be good to go! The trip planning/nav isn't the same as premium connectivity, but its good enough for distance travel. We took the M3 on an 1,100mi roadtrip, and I took the previous Y out around 700 miles. The vehicles know their own efficency well.

Supercharging bill comes from Hertz about a week after returning the vehicle, same with plate-based tolls.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bill906

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Just thought of something... When I hear people talk about supercharging, its seems they talk about the app for setting the amount of charge, and it will let you know how far along the charge is and when it's done. I'm guessing if I cannot connect via the app, I have to do all of that from the cars screen?

I did see in the Hertz agreement that any supercharger charges will be billed to Hertz, and they will then charge my credit card. Surprisingly, they don't add a processing fee or anything. What Tesla charges is what they charge me.

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
Just thought of something... When I hear people talk about supercharging, its seems they talk about the app for setting the amount of charge, and it will let you know how far along the charge is and when it's done. I'm guessing if I cannot connect via the app, I have to do all of that from the cars screen?

I did see in the Hertz agreement that any supercharger charges will be billed to Hertz, and they will then charge my credit card. Surprisingly, they don't add a processing fee or anything. What Tesla charges is what they charge me.
Yeah its all car-based, but if you're getting an M3 from Hertz chances are its an LFP battery pack (almost all their M3 fleet is LFP) that should be 100% as frequently as possible.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
We just picked up a Model 3 this winter. Great car, easy to use. Just plot out your travel. If you're using Superchargers, it's easier than a gas station. But if you will need to use 3rd party charging, make sure you know and have any adapters you may need, and also download their apps in advance and make sure you have them working. That was the biggest hassle we dealt with as Tesla noobies, getting to a third party charger and taking forever to get it working. Also, be prepared that third party chargers may be occupied or broken but not updated online. You can count on the Superchargers.

mhaze

First Name
mhike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3; Smartcar; F150 Raptor; Avalanche 2500 4x4
Country flag
I do not own an EV. I have some, but limited experience with them. I found Hertz would rent me a standard range Model 3 for $300 for the week and decided to rent it this week. I plan on doing my regular 280 mile trip back to my family for Easter so I'm already looking at all the Supercharger options.

Does anyone have any suggestions on things I should try, look into or avoid when I rent it?
I've done exactly that; I rented an M3 from Hertz. I own an M3, so it wasn't an intro to electric. Expect to be given a couple of keycards and to use them as your keys, not the app.

If you try out the full self-driving software, figure on acting like you are in a car with a fresh novice driver student, and be prepared to take over at any time.

No reason to over-worry; just rent it and have fun.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bill906

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I've done exactly that; I rented an M3 from Hertz. I own an M3, so it wasn't an intro to electric. Expect to be given a couple of keycards and to use them as your keys, not the app.

If you try out the full self-driving software, figure on acting like you are in a car with a fresh novice driver student, and be prepared to take over at any time.

No reason to over-worry; just rent it and have fun.

I already did and had a lot of fun. I went out of town to visit family, and since there aren't a lot of EV's where my family is from, most of them have never ridden in one. I gave lots of rides, which was enjoyable. My favorite part was saying, 'This rental car is the least expensive, least powerful Tesla they make,' followed by putting the accelerator to the floor.

I've since taken a road trip in my Jeep Grand Cherokee, and before renting the M3, I thought my JGC handled the road well and had okay acceleration. However, now that I'm back in my JGC, it feels like I'm driving a tugboat in comparison. I can't wait for the Cybertruck to come out!

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
I rent Teslas from hertz regularly. Even though they give you the option for FSD Beta all you get is auto steer that essentially is just adaptive cruise control. It doesn’t recognize traffic signals or change lanes for you. Even the blind spot and backup warnings are crap compared to my wife’s Model Y with FSD.
Sponsored