Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
The opposite of FUD from a mainstream industry source:

https://www.businessinsider.com/teslas-cybertruck-impact-ev-market-2023-5

Tesla's Cybertruck is finally coming. It's going to rattle rivals and transform the EV market as we know it.
Cybertruck is set to be "the Hummer of the 2020s."
The futuristic-looking truck is going to redefine what a pickup truck can look like.
Tesla’s entry to the pickup truck market could be exactly what the segment needs.
Insider recommends waking up with
Morning Brew Logo
Morning Brew, a daily newsletter.
Email address
By clicking “Sign Up,” you also agree to marketing emails from both Insider and Morning Brew; and you accept Insider’s Terms and Privacy Policy. Click here for Morning Brew’s privacy policy.
Tesla is finally ready to enter the most lucrative vehicle segment in the US: pickup trucks.

The long-awaited Cybertruck, which was revealed to much fanfare and with a shattered window in 2019, is finally heading to production this year. The Cybertruck's arrival is expected to shake up the electric pickup truck market – and the entire stalwart truck market – with its arresting design and high-tech features.

In the years since the Cybertruck reveal, Tesla CEO Elon Musk has slowly dripped out details on the truck. He has previously claimed that the Cybertruck will be able to "serve briefly as a boat," and feature rear-wheel steering. It's unclear how many of these promised features will reach final production, but experts say that it's always safe to say Tesla will push the boundaries on what their cars can do.

"This is a vehicle that competes against everybody and nobody," said Ivan Drury, an automotive analyst for car-shopping website Edmunds. "If the Cybertruck comes to fruition looking like it did at the debut, that should be more than enough – everything else from tech and features is just icing on the cake."

Earlier this week, Musk confirmed that the Cybertruck is slated to go on sale later this year. It will be Tesla's first completely new product in three years, coming at a time when both Tesla and the pickup truck market writ large desperately need an injection of excitement and new ideas.

"This is an imperative move for Tesla to turn around the growing image that they're becoming a very traditional automaker," Drury said. From stale designs to discounts and incentives, Tesla's critics have accused the company of losing its disruptor luster in the last year.

Cybertruck will be the Hummer of the 2020s
The boxy and futuristic design of the Cybertruck is unlike anything the automotive industry has ever seen, experts say. It's designed to appeal to a very specific type of status-seeker – video game enthusiasts, tech nerds, people who love 80s movies – as well as any drivers who want to turn heads on the street.

Creating a crazy-looking car for a new set of buyers is similar to what Hummer did for SUVs in the 90s, Drury said.

Hummer was a giant, impractical vehicle with a tank-like design that became a status symbol. It turned a previously utilitarian SUV segment into a space where car companies could still attract enthusiasts and luxury-minded buyers.

"The Cybertruck is going to be the Hummer of the 2020s," Drury said. "It's a car that's going to let people live out a new, bizarre dream of what their vehicle can be."

Why rivals should both fear and revere the Cybertruck
If Tesla is about to redefine what a pickup truck can look like, and who it can appeal to, that's going to be huge for the pickup truck market. For years, this extremely lucrative market has played by strict rules for design, capability, and features in order to placate an extremely loyal buyer base.

Only a disruptor like Tesla could change that playbook, said Karl Brauer, executive analyst for iSeeCars.

"This is going to be an extremely disruptive moment for what is normally a very stable and conservative segment of the automotive market," Brauer said. "This is going to be Tesla's take on the pickup truck, which is enough on its own, and competitors should be very wary of that."

At the same time, he said, Tesla is likely to create entirely new truck buyers, attracting rabid Tesla fans who have never owned a pickup truck before as well as flashy buyers who want to be seen in a truck as unique as the Cybertruck, Brauer said.

That is good for Tesla in the short term, as it guarantees buyers for this crucial product, but also a boon to the entire truck market. Shopping for a Cybertruck could turn a customer who never even considered buying a truck into someone who ends up test driving or buying an F-150 Lightning, Brauer said.

"There's going to be a lot of reconsideration for people on these cars when the Cybertruck hits," he said.
Sponsored

Last edited:

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
At the same time, he said, Tesla is likely to create entirely new truck buyers, attracting rabid Tesla fans who have never owned a pickup truck before as well as flashy buyers who want to be seen in a truck as unique as the Cybertruck, Brauer said.
The article left out a wide swath of Cybertruck buyers like myself, people who want to replace their traditional gas-guzzling truck with one that can do so much more while not needing regular gas fill-ups, oil changes (and often repairs). And with one that actually has good driving dynamics and performance and is safer in an impact and a lot less likely to roll-over.

In short, a lot better value for their money.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
the article left out that the CT is finally going to be a mass production electric truck available this year when legacy said they were doing in imminently... back in 2014. I'd have bought a Ford ev truck that year if one was available.... it wasn't.... so Tesla gets my $.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Cybertruck will be the Hummer of the 2020s
The boxy and futuristic design of the Cybertruck is unlike anything the automotive industry has ever seen, experts say. It's designed to appeal to a very specific type of status-seeker – video game enthusiasts, tech nerds, people who love 80s movies – as well as any drivers who want to turn heads on the street.

Creating a crazy-looking car for a new set of buyers is similar to what Hummer did for SUVs in the 90s, Drury said.

Hummer was a giant, impractical vehicle with a tank-like design that became a status symbol. It turned a previously utilitarian SUV segment into a space where car companies could still attract enthusiasts and luxury-minded buyers.

"The Cybertruck is going to be the Hummer of the 2020s," Drury said. "It's a car that's going to let people live out a new, bizarre dream of what their vehicle can be."
While this was a change of pace from the normal FUD. The attempt to connect the Cybertruck to the Hummer, and its fans was not accurate, and almost seemed like an attempt to polarize people against the Cybertruck. Also, the author made some very disparaging comments about who will buy the Cybertruck.

Maybe the author just doesn't get it. But I see the Cybertruck as nothing like the Hummer except it's polarizing different look to anything currently available. And like HaulingAss commented a massive amount of people buying the Cybertruck just want a truck that's not a gas/money guzzler. The author says non truck owners are going to buy it. BUT, calls them rabid Tesla fans.

So in my eyes this was not the opposite of FUD.

CoachTerry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Wellness Coach
Country flag
I currently drive a Range Rover Sport. I wanted the same or better performance, utility, and lower TOTAL COST OF OWNERSHIP. The cool factor is just a bonus. Compare a new Range Rover purchase price to the CT. The CT will be lower while accelerating faster with huge advantages in repair and maintenance cost. Additionally, took advantage of the tax benefits this year to get rooftop Tesla solar panels and 2 power walls. Hope is to drive without any daily out of pocket cash expenses.

I don't see any of me or my motivations in that article.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
It will all depend on the price point.

A $60,000 CyberTruck would really get everyone's attention.

A $89,900 CyberTruck at launch will have a sales spurt at first.....yet probably many will be NON current pickup truck owners....thus it won't cut into the pickup market as much IMO.

Let's see how Tesla is price it.

Trbizwiz

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 RWD, Dodge Challenger
Occupation
Logistics
Country flag
I car camped in my Model Y Performance over the weekend. We started off at Walmart. Unfortunately, some undesirable individuals were also camping at Walmart, and they were acting inapparopiately, and even eliminating in the lot. This drove the store manager to call the police to make everyone leave. Had I been car camping in a Cybertruck, my son an I would have had a much different experience. We would have been more safe, and there would have been no tell tale signs we were camping. No window coverings would be needed. Just a typically closed vault.
Cybertruck offers a ton of advantages, but resting anywhere, at anytime is a cool little underestimated feature, that I know I will enjoy. Car camping in the Model Y is a blast, it will be exponentially better in the Cybertruck. I have taken two of my kids so far, and both loved it, they each asked when we could do it again. My youngest son enjoyed this most recent trip so much, he self camped next to me the night we got home. You can buy your kids something and they may really like it. But when you do stuff with them, you bond for life!

KrodEKid

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota corolla, Mazda 5
Country flag
This is an opinion piece. Does the author get to call this "journalism" simply because he is quoting another person? Drury may have a good pulse on existing auto markets but anything he says about the typical CT buyer is pure speculation. This article tells me more about who Drury and Edmunds are than about the CT.

Macgreiner

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3 (sold), S70D(sold), R1200RT, LR3, P3D
Country flag
Pricing will determine how transformative cybertruck will be. With every passing day I become more a more resigned to this being overpriced and therefore out of the reach of many/most.

OP
OP
Throwcomputer

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
This is an opinion piece. Does the author get to call this "journalism" simply because he is quoting another person? Drury may have a good pulse on existing auto markets but anything he says about the typical CT buyer is pure speculation. This article tells me more about who Drury and Edmunds are than about the CT.
The source is way more "journalism" than most of the articles reposted here from teslarati, elektrec, etc. who literally do exactly what you say. They post our discussions on here word for word as their articles.

Everyone hates on the FUD from MSM, and now you finally get a MSM source giving some bit of praise and positive expectation of this product from Tesla and everyone still finds things to hate on. Man you guys are cranky complainers! Nothing will ever be positive enough for you guys!

Dr_Grey_Bush

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW
Country flag
The tide is turning

Maybe Musk is inquiring about advertising!
Charlie,

I just witnessed with my very own eyes Cybertruck’s being assembled so I hope they got some kind of strategy for advertising. If not they might want to call me……..😳

Dr_Grey_Bush

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW
Country flag
The source is way more "journalism" than most of the articles reposted here from teslarati, elektrec, etc. who literally do exactly what you say. They post our discussions on here word for word as their articles.

Everyone hates on the FUD from MSM, and now you finally get a MSM source giving some bit of praise and positive expectation of this product from Tesla and everyone still finds things to hate on. Man you guys are cranky complainers! Nothing will ever be positive enough for you guys!
They can’t full me. If they dislike the Cybertruck so much then why are they on the site creepin and researching it? Also, with all that’s out there now on the CT and their main complaint is small taillights!?!?!??? Woo Hoo Victory Dance!
Sponsored