Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
It will all depend on the price point.

A $60,000 CyberTruck would really get everyone's attention.

A $89,900 CyberTruck at launch will have a sales spurt at first.....yet probably many will be NON current pickup truck owners....thus it won't cut into the pickup market as much IMO.

Let's see how Tesla is price it.
I'm a current pickup truck owner and when the CT gets delivered, Ford will have lost one more customer (I tend to keep vehicles about 3-4 years)... That's probably a loss of 5-10 new truck sales for Ford. While 5 trucks won't make or break the company, it'll add up quite a bit. I've been buying their Platinum version of F-350s and recently downsized to F-150s... at $80,000+ per truck, it doesn't take much to kill off $1,000,000 of furture sales, but here we are.
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
The source is way more "journalism" than most of the articles reposted here from teslarati, elektrec, etc. who literally do exactly what you say. They post our discussions on here word for word as their articles.

Everyone hates on the FUD from MSM, and now you finally get a MSM source giving some bit of praise and positive expectation of this product from Tesla and everyone still finds things to hate on. Man you guys are cranky complainers! Nothing will ever be positive enough for you guys!
Now, now. Ease up just a bit. I don't think I was hating on that article. In your original post you said opposite of FUD, and I was pointing out that (in my opinion) it fell short of the opposite of FUD. You're absolutely correct about those other outlets. But, when I saw this last comment, I think you are kinda doing what you're accusing others of doing. A bit of jumping to conclusions, and the opposite of positive.

BeastSlayer

Banned
Banned
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Ryder
Occupation
Chief Investment Officer of MyLooseChange
Country flag
Reality, or the proof of the pudding, only happens when we see a Tesla employee driving a Cybertruck as his personal vehicle and not a test unit. The pattern for Tesla's new models.

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Here's an opinion article from CleanTechnica published in 2019, that fits into my opinion of (opposite of FUD).

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/11/23/tesla-cybertruck-pure-logic-on-wheels/

Tesla Cybertruck — Pure Logic On Wheels
“Yes, that is the way to do it. Pure logic. Form follows function. The only way to solve the aerodynamics problem of a pickup.” Those were my thoughts when the Tesla Cybertruck rolled onto the stage.

“Yes, that is the way to do it. Pure logic. Form follows function. The only way to solve the aerodynamics problem of a pickup.”
Those were my thoughts when the Tesla Cybertruck rolled onto the stage.
Followed by: “Will any hillbilly or weekend road warrior or mom buy it?” It is a bit hard to see this as a grocery getter or hay carrier.
This is totally Elon Musk — going back to first principles, applying them to an electric pickup truck, getting an image straight from the movies he likes. How could he not fall in love with it.

The aerodynamics of a conventional pickup truck are extremely bad. You need probably twice the battery capacity to get highway performance at 60 mph on par with a Jaguar I-PACE. That is a big No-No for Tesla.
The first design parameter for Tesla was: no open bed. The second was: no box form. High on the list would also be: Tesla cars are beautiful, not rusty or dented. Another would be that you should be able to actually use the bed for your stuff. In urban environments, everything in it that can be carried away will be carried away when you return. Cheap and easy to produce would also be on that list.

Put this list into a stupid AI system that does not have preconceived notions what a pickup should look like, and out comes the Tesla Cybertruck.
The aerodynamics are great. The bed coffer turns that open space into a vault. The stainless steel enables a unibody design that is lighter, stronger, and cheaper to make. With a relatively small battery (~75kWh), a “low-cost” version can shock the market. With the Plaid powertrain, there is nothing on the road (except other Teslas) that can compete in pure badass driving.
Turning the list of requirements (much longer than I have mentioned) into this design is pure brilliance.

I am not a car guy, I am even less of a big car guy, and I really don’t understand the appeal of those monstrosities on wheels that are the favorite grocery-getters in most of the USA. My opinion is of zero and really no value when it comes to judging the Tesla Cybertruck’s market appeal and commercial value.
This is such a radical departure from what is thought to be a normal pickup, though, that most will be unable at first to comprehend this concept. Without suggesting it will be as successful, it is like the iPhone when shown in the time of the flip-phone and Blackberry. This will need time.

I suggest some placements in Hollywood movies. Not the cyberpunk Blade Runner type of movies, but a normal romantic comedy with a soccer mom using it around the suburbs. And the privacy of the closed bed is a far better place to be seduced than the back seat of a sedan.
While being logical, the Tesla designers created a new problem for the US automotive industry. The distinction between cars and trucks, or passenger vehicles and light commercial vehicles has always been based on the construction — using a frame was a truck, using any kind of monocoque or unibody construction was a car. By the logic of the standard classification, the Tesla Cybertruck is a car.

OP
OP
Throwcomputer

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Now, now. Ease up just a bit. I don't think I was hating on that article. In your original post you said opposite of FUD, and I was pointing out that (in my opinion) it fell short of the opposite of FUD. You're absolutely correct about those other outlets. But, when I saw this last comment, I think you are kinda doing what you're accusing others of doing. A bit of jumping to conclusions, and the opposite of positive.
There was more ribbing in my post than actual ire. ;) The added dig was more commenting on others criticisms of the article. Your points I was more directing the teslarati feedback towards. Some of the other criticisms were nitpicking to death details that really don't mean much.

I reposted this one article to point out the same thing that charliemagpie and john k mentioned.. lots of FUD when the product is delayed and not in production. Once it becomes real and obvious its pending sales shortly, songs start changing towards positive.

I find the teslarati style articles way more annoying than the FUD articles. Mainly cause I skip most msm articles on the CT. Teslarati and elektrec I expect and wish they were more legit in their information cause they are presenting themselves as the go to sources for the EV industry news. But instead we just get regurgitation on what is already chewed on forever on here. Similarly, I love jalopnik, but when I see them post an article about tesla, I automatically skip over it cause they have equally stupid articles on the opposite end of teslarati spectrum with tired arguments against Tesla/CT.

Baldey

First Name
Jenia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla M3, ct reservation
Occupation
QA automation
Country flag
Those are all certainly words.. It is nice to see the mainstream media having diverse ideas, though.

It all depends on capability. If the CT delivers on promised features (top of class towing, range, and tech at a competitive price-point) none of this will matter.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
I'm a current pickup truck owner and when the CT gets delivered, Ford will have lost one more customer (I tend to keep vehicles about 3-4 years)... That's probably a loss of 5-10 new truck sales for Ford. While 5 trucks won't make or break the company, it'll add up quite a bit. I've been buying their Platinum version of F-350s and recently downsized to F-150s... at $80,000+ per truck, it doesn't take much to kill off $1,000,000 of furture sales, but here we are.
I want both Tesla and Ford to do well in the "EV truck" market.

As consumers we need choices.

As far as Ford goes, they did make it to market about 2 years ahead of Tesla with an EV pickup. When the CyberTruck does finally come out it will of course leapfrog Ford, so then Ford will have to up their game. Which is what Ford's Blue Oval City factories are all about. The NEXT Gen Ford Lightning. Competition is good. Let's see what all the truck makers can offer to buyers.

Cyberostachu

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla.Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Pricing will determine how transformative cybertruck will be. With every passing day I become more a more resigned to this being overpriced and therefore out of the reach of many/most.
100% agreed with you. I got a Model 3 LR and not satisfied with the range. Decided to get CT so I can take long trips. I budgeted below 80K. Hopefully, I could get a tri motor for that price. I followed lots of guesses, news and opinions, it seems a tri would be out of my reach.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
"which was revealed to much fanfare and with a shattered window"

Love the snide FUD comments..... so much for unbiased reporting.

AlDente

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Model 3 (2), Model X
Country flag
Form should always follow function with an EV. FSD will make vehicle ownership unnecessary and I say that as someone (old) who will likely always own the vehicle(s). Overall cost of ownership, reliability and durability are my motivators. I don't care for the form of the CT but I understand the reasons for it. No paint with a durable skin is another huge benefit.

The actual value proposition has yet to be announced and the initial price might be much higher than the price in 2-3 years. As Elon said, demand will dictate the production volume but the unspoken part is price will be a key determinant of demand.

Also, Elons commitment to "try advertising" will lead to much better press for Tesla in general and I'm not surprised to see this type of article with many more to come.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Form should always follow function with an EV. FSD will make vehicle ownership unnecessary and I say that as someone (old) who will likely always own the vehicle(s). Overall cost of ownership, reliability and durability are my motivators. I don't care for the form of the CT but I understand the reasons for it. No paint with a durable skin is another huge benefit.

The actual value proposition has yet to be announced and the initial price might be much higher than the price in 2-3 years. As Elon said, demand will dictate the production volume but the unspoken part is price will be a key determinant of demand.

Also, Elons commitment to "try advertising" will lead to much better press for Tesla in general and I'm not surprised to see this type of article with many more to come.
Yeah, if I could order up a CT for occasional use like an Uber, that would be huge.

Right now I rent a pickup truck from local UHaul. The app sucks and it's always a little too much friction. But still better than paying the repair bills on that old Ram I had.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The tide is turning

Maybe Musk is inquiring about advertising!
Maybe they are hoping a little positive coverage will bring some of those Tesla Bucks their way.

I seriously doubt Musk has been talking to them for advertising. BI doesn’t exactly cater to the center of the truck market.

rudedawg78

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
I could be wrong, but my guess is the advertising Tesla is going to do will be only on Twitter.
Just me assuming, but I am thinking Tesla will get a steep discount advertising on Twitter. ;)
Sponsored