Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Lol Tulsa vs Austin TX... no contest. I have lived in Tulsa and have Family El Reno. I would choose Austin without blinking.

I mean Tulsa is just an OK city... He He :sneaky:

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBERTRUCK
Country flag
Tesla has now purchased $5M worth of land outside of Austin!

Source: https://electrek.co/2020/06/18/tesla-acquires-land-austin-build-factory/

Tesla acquires $5 million worth of land outside Austin to build new factory

Tesla is acquiring $5 million worth of land outside of Austin, Texas to build its new factory as it is about to secure over $60 million in incentives for the project.

Last month, Electrek exclusively reported that Tesla’s next factory is going to be in Austin.

After our report, Tesla leaked that Tulsa, Oklahoma, was still in the running, but we were able to confirm that Tesla was already set to build in Austin, and it plans to move fast with hope to have a general assembly line for Model Y in Texas by the end of the year.

Now we’ve learned that Tesla is buying a 2,100-acre piece of land (pictured above) just outside Austin to build the factory.

The land is currently occupied by a sand and gravel mining site, but Tesla is buying the location for just over $5 million which was revealed in an application with the Texas Comptroller’s office.

Tesla describes the project in the application:

“Tesla is evaluating the possible development, design, and construction of an electric vehicle manufacturing plant in Travis County within the Austin Green property. This site is approximately 2,100 acres and located at the intersections of SH-130 and Harold Green Road. The property is currently a sand and gravel mining site owned and operated by Martin Marietta and Texas construction projects. The Martin Marietta assets will operate for a period of time but will be relocated in the future to allow for buildout of the site. The timeline for the relocation will be determined at a later date.”
Electrek has learned that they have already started that process of relocation and Tesla’s construction team is already getting ready to build on at this location, which is near the Austin airport.

The construction of the new Tesla factory is set to commence in Q3 of 2020 pending all approvals.

Tesla is seeking approval from the local school district to forgive up to $68 million on its property tax bill over 10 years.

Rest of article at https://electrek.co/2020/06/18/tesla-acquires-land-austin-build-factory/

Reactions: Geo

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Interesting video, it looks like they removed a lot of trees and are now in the process of removing the good topsoil. That would be a good thing to reuse all that good soil.
They've moved a LOT of soil around already and yes, they took out a thick pulpwood forest (except one Bat tree) which they left standing in the middle of all that dirt for quite a while until the bats moved somewhere less exposed after which the work crew took that tree down as well.

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
They've moved a LOT of soil around already and yes, they took out a thick pulpwood forest (except one Bat tree) which they left standing in the middle of all that dirt for quite a while until the bats moved somewhere less exposed after which the work crew took that tree down as well.

A couple of years ago I heard a story about a bridge in Austin where a lot of bats lived and some residents were freaked out about them so the bats were moved and than the mosquito population exploded....They moved the bats back

When I lived in Arizona there was a small bridge in Tucson that also housed a lot of bats and it was cool to see them all leaving at the same time at dusk to feed on bugs. It looked like a sci-fi movie with a mothership and all of the small attack ships leaving

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
A couple of years ago I heard a story about a bridge in Austin where a lot of bats lived and some residents were freaked out about them so the bats were moved and than the mosquito population exploded....They moved the bats back

When I lived in Arizona there was a small bridge in Tucson that also housed a lot of bats and it was cool to see them all leaving at the same time at dusk to feed on bugs. It looked like a sci-fi movie with a mothership and all of the small attack ships leaving
I'll bet that's neat. We had chimney swifts and at least one bat around my house in Georgia when growing up. We NEVER had mosquitoes around the house. I don't remember ever getting bit there.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
I don't know how to start or propose a new thread, but this thread is the closest, so I'll make my case here.

By far the most important issue now is the Cybertruck factory. We really need a thread devoted to production details as they emerge.
Sponsored