Should Tesla setup a Blank-Check Co. (SPAC) or separate IPO for Cybertrck so that buyers can qualify for a $7500 rebate?

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Considering the election in November which could drastically change the landscape of congress and the white house, It is a bit premature to have Tesla create a new company just to get the rebate credit, when congress could do it next legislative session once the opposition to clean energy is ousted.

OP
OP
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
University Professor
Country flag
Considering the election in November which could drastically change the landscape of congress and the white house, It is a bit premature to have Tesla create a new company just to get the rebate credit, when congress could do it next legislative session once the opposition to clean energy is ousted.
Good point. But, we don't know what congress will or will NOT do, let alone what will or will not pass the House, Senet, or if POTUS will sign. A SPAC or separate IPO puts the power back in the hands of the buyers.

OP
OP
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
University Professor
Country flag
No, that would be cheating, and the Cybertruck is well worth the asking price already.
I deeply respect & appreciate your response. Just out of curiosity... What do you think is the downside of a rebate of $7,500?

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
No, then the price would just go up by $7500...... :cautious:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I deeply respect & appreciate your response. Just out of curiosity... What do you think is the downside of a rebate of $7,500?
$7500 that is subsidizing fairly rich people? No downside for the buyers but some poor schmuck is paying for that. I'm all for moving to sustainable clean energy and I would really like them to end subsidizing oil and coal etc. But just adding a subsidy for clean technologies is just another stimulus. Tesla is doing fine it doesn't need the CT to be 7500 cheaper to be able to sell it..... Also I would totally take that 7500 if it was available.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
To cheat the system and get a rebate, would cause a lot of ill feelings from people who already are against EV's and EV owners. WAY better to do things legitimately.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
$7500 that is subsidizing fairly rich people? No downside for the buyers but some poor schmuck is paying for that. I'm all for moving to sustainable clean energy and I would really like them to end subsidizing oil and coal etc. But just adding a subsidy for clean technologies is just another stimulus. Tesla is doing fine it doesn't need the CT to be 7500 cheaper to be able to sell it..... Also I would totally take that 7500 if it was available.
ok, ONE MORE TIME.

The $7500 TAX CREDIT is NOT A REBATE. It does NOT take taxes from others as a subsidy.

With a tax credit, you get to subtract that amount from the tax that you OWE. In other words, YOU get to KEEP $7500 of what you have paid (to OTHERS) otherwise.

Others (your) taxes REMAIN THE SAME regardless of if I take the credit or not.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
ok, ONE MORE TIME.

The $7500 TAX CREDIT is NOT A REBATE. It does NOT take taxes from others as a subsidy.

With a tax credit, you get to subtract that amount from the tax that you OWE. In other words, YOU get to KEEP $7500 of what you have paid (to OTHERS) otherwise.

Others (your) taxes REMAIN THE SAME regardless of if I take the credit or not.
True to a point. Taxes are used to pay down govt debt. Those that pay less means others still got to pay down that debt which isn't going shrink mysteriously. A better option is to offer tax credits opportunities to all tax payers...even those who can never afford a Tesla.

Perhaps a starter tesla where the battery is leased/owned by Tesla and the vehicle is well under 20k?

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Those that pay less means others still got to pay down that debt which isn't going shrink mysteriously.
So you don't think I should be allowed to pay less in taxes just because I have a mortgage deduction? It is pretty much the same.

And that's the end of this discussion for me.

OP
OP
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
University Professor
Country flag

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
No, that would be cheating, and the Cybertruck is well worth the asking price already.
1 - Cyber-truck is not a Tesla sedan wrapped in S.S.
2 - Elon is ramping FSD pricing
3 - Cyber buyers are prior truck owners

The pre-deposit of $100 USD demographics for functional electric trucks will weigh Cybertruck‘s success based upon this cohort. Its success could skew based upon non-cyber performance. Lastly, Elon potentially owns F-150, Ram and Silverado sales simply with Cybertrucks working everyday, pulling weekend campers and changing what a pickup CAN do going forward. Insert your <best> case scenario. A number of them could effect the future of a 13 mega watt battery on wheels obsoleting conventional pickups, lifted trucks and Baja runners if Cybertruck succeeds .
Sponsored