Has anyone dropped an old truck/van body on an electric chassis?

CTM

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cybertruckinmag.com
Vehicles
Chevy Van
Occupation
Cybertruckin Magazine contributor
Country flag
I have been wondering about the feasibility of dropping an old G20 Van body onto an electric chassis. Has anyone done this or other conversions?
Sponsored

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I have been wondering about the feasibility of dropping an old G20 Van body onto an electric chassis. Has anyone done this or other conversions?
I have done many conversions, in your case it would be easier to modify the existing chassis with an electric drive train. In fact it is almost always better to modify the existing chassis if you can.

OP
OP
CTM

CTM

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cybertruckinmag.com
Vehicles
Chevy Van
Occupation
Country flag
I have done many conversions, in your case it would be easier to modify the existing chassis with an electric drive train. In fact it is almost always better to modify the existing chassis if you can.
Pull the V8 and hook up the electric motor to the drive shaft, and presto?

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Pull the V8 and hook up the electric motor to the drive shaft, and presto?
lol basically, you just need to get an adapter made for the motor to the drive shaft. put the slip joint in the shaft.. Some people run them through Manuel gear box encase they want gears.. if its a 4wd you can hook it right to the transfer case. This usually puts the ev motor back far enough that you can use the engine compartment for whatever you can fill it with. batteries, inverter ect. The hard part is deciding what components you want to use for the swap.. everything from forklift motors to Tesla motors. Some times its really easy to just swap the whole Tesla rear cradle in with some custom mounts depending on the width of the donor vehicle.

OP
OP
CTM

CTM

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cybertruckinmag.com
Vehicles
Chevy Van
Occupation
Country flag
lol basically, you just need to get an adapter made for the motor to the drive shaft. put the slip joint in the shaft.. Some people run them through Manuel gear box encase they want gears.. if its a 4wd you can hook it right to the transfer case. This usually puts the ev motor back far enough that you can use the engine compartment for whatever you can fill it with. batteries, inverter ect. The hard part is deciding what components you want to use for the swap.. everything from forklift motors to Tesla motors. Some times its really easy to just swap the whole Tesla rear cradle in with some custom mounts depending on the width of the donor vehicle.
Thanks Jake, you sound like you know what you are doing. I would enjoy hearing about the conversions you have done some time. At the end of the day I’m sure nothing I could build would compare to the Cybertruck, after seeing it in person I really think Tesla nailed it. I do love vans though, I’m curious to see what sort of e-vans come to life in the next few years. What got me thinking about a conversion was seeing that Bollinger is talking about selling an e-chassis and that conjured the image of a G body shaggin wagon with a whole new life in my mind.
92501D71-0C00-451C-BA2D-A0246E0EEC70.jpeg

A872260A-A6D1-4D8A-BA3D-02F53C2728B5.jpeg

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
I have been thinking about this for some time. Always wanted to drop a HumVee on a Tesla Battery/Drive system.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I have my grandpa’s 1950 Ford pickup in the back yard waiting for the money to do an electric conversion like this.

Have wanted to fix up this pickup since I was knee high.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
This is not my area of expertise (not that I have one, lol)

We have :
Standard skateboard
Drive by wire (it will become mainstream)
Off the shelf software

Not old cars but close replicas and new designs. I see this as a future cottage industry.

Can a 3D body printing service arise ?

Tens of thousands who are mechanically minded and employed in ICE industry are going to lose their job, this will be a way to adapt their skills and make a living.

Will they be safe ? That needs to be addressed.

It's a start