Advance release C2 Cybertruck: Due to the obvious popularity of the dual motor edition, should Tesla early release ten per month?

CybrTrkOregon

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Speaking of production, what's Fremont making 4k a month? So assuming half the preorders dont go through that still leaves around 300k, /4k = 75 months /12 = 6.25 years until I would get my single motor. 0.0 is this correct?
You might find it's easier to produce more Cybertruck volume. No paint shop.
Sponsored

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
In my totally unbiased opinion they should early release mine.
Right answer!

This guy knows. He’s the perfect buyer for VIP delivery, ahead of non-VIP’s waiting in line and probably worth $3k Tesla will charge.

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
Although I ordered a Tri-motor, I'm hoping the single motor CT will not be relegated to "special phone order" status like the base $35,000 (now $33,000) Model 3. Tesla doesn't seem interested in building the base models, likely not enough profit in them yet there may be a yuuuge untapped market of contractor/workman/blue collar types who just want a basic Cybertruck for work.

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If they make the single motor CT, and that’s a big if .... I predict sometime in 2025

ericpdb2

First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Prius
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Of course! It's become clear some of us can't wait to get our hands on our new Cybertruck, so to be fair, we'll just start with... ME!
Tesla should make the Trimotor available ASAP for all those who want it. Drop or reduce production of all other models ASAP to enable this. And give me a rocket option.

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Oh they will. At least we all, hope they will. Remember the 2020 Roadster. Not happening this year. The Tri-Motor if they move ahed will be in my adjusted garage By 2023.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
just reading tea leaves and animal entrails... But didn't Elon endure production hell at one point of his life? I wonder if part of the pre-order rational is assessing probable demand. The pre-orders, it can be argued, may be strong out of the gate with Tesla fans etc. but sustaining demand may also grow exponentially as traditional truck buyers "get it". Elon may have a good hunch that he may take a big chunk out of F150 sales (million per year) meaning that his factories may be configurable to churn out anywhere between 250-500k CTs for initial and then sustaining demand.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
just reading tea leaves and animal entrails... But didn't Elon endure production hell at one point of his life? I wonder if part of the pre-order rational is assessing probable demand. The pre-orders, it can be argued, may be strong out of the gate with Tesla fans etc. but sustaining demand may also grow exponentially as traditional truck buyers "get it". Elon may have a good hunch that he may take a big chunk out of F150 sales (million per year) meaning that his factories may be configurable to churn out anywhere between 250-500k CTs for initial and then sustaining demand.
When it comes down to it, I think Elon just wants to take a piece of the qutomotive pie big enough that other manufacturers take electrics seriously and, consequentially, so do the consumers. He wants to sell enough to push the electric conversion and have enough profit to pursue other endeavors that he thinks will help make things better (Boring Co., Tesla Solar, Space X). Some would argue that now that Ford and GM have electric pickups announced, that we are making real progress. But, real progress would be if electrics became cheaper to buy than their gas counterparts. Yes, we can argue that over the life of the vehicle, an electric may be cheaper. But, that doesn't help Johnny make his car payment in those first few months...

Anyway, this wasn't aimed at anyone or any post in particular though the one I replied to made me start thinking about it a bit.

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
Perhaps Tesla could follow the same formula of other priority lists for, say, initial season ticket sales for brand-new sports arenas where it’s a hundred bucks or so to get on a Priority Contact List. Then they contact everyone on the list (in chronological order of their original reservation) to put additional monies where their mouths are.
Thus Tesla could go down their approximately 865,000-strong list to request another $2400 to form an Express Delivery queue. Maybe call it the CQ (Confidence Queue) to reward those confident enough to take delivery of a new, untested (at retail level) product.
Then get those units made first (they could start off with highest margin units like Trimotor, then Dual motor, etc.) and delivered before resuming leftovers from the original list order.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Trade that off with waiting until the first few revisions/adjustments to production are made on the CT to iron out any issues... and that initial price drop, like the Model Y just had.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Its 650000 ordered that would take a life time
I heard that the anticipated production output at one new plant was 500,000 per year. Although the Austin plant will produce more than just the CT, it's bigger than the new plants in Germany or China, and the CT should be a faster build than Tesla's other models.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I heard that the anticipated production output at one new plant was 500,000 per year. Although the Austin plant will produce more than just the CT, it's bigger than the new plants in Germany or China, and the CT should be a faster build than Tesla's other models.
Cybertruck was designed so it can be fabricated without needing the costly 11-12 stamping presses and 22-24 dies that are normally used to make normal sheet metal exterior body panels.

But there is one factor not mentioned, stamping presses are fast fast fast.
The Cybertruck construction method might be slower.