CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Just a note since it seems you are trying to censor where you live. It's still very easy to read and is shown at the bottom of the screen.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Most people never use their car for anything other than commuting. I was shocked that having driven to 3 of the 4 corners of the contiguous 48 states how many of my coworkers had not driven out of the state or beyond the surrounding states.

I also consider the environmental impact of ICE vehicles. Getting rid of ICE vehicles is not a thing to do because it is the latest tech, it is because the ICE vehicles pollute more than EVs.
Do you know that animal agriculture is the single largest contributor to climate change, water pollution, soil erosion, ocean dead zones, and deforestation?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Yes, I just noticed that! This is Canada. They don't break into your house at night and murder you in your bed here. Do they?

But thanks for pointing that out.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I can't say. I have seen reports of people claiming to be tooling along with comfortable margins displayed and then suddenly they are on empty. I cannot say whether this actually ever happened or not. When I pressed a couple of them for details none were ever forthcoming. But hardware can fail.
It can happen - especially if you're near tolerances of temperature or they haven't been cycled recently so the battery curve hasn't been mapped

It basically doesn't happen in Teslas.

I had it happen to my Zero exactly once: The first full cycle day after I was given it. The motor was hot, it was hot outside, and it hadn't done a full cycle of the battery in I don't know how long. It died at 11% going up a 10% grade after running 87 miles. Pretty much its range.

-Crissa

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Do you know that animal agriculture is the single largest contributor to climate change, water pollution, soil erosion, ocean dead zones, and deforestation?
I think Humans are the biggest contributors and those other things happened because of the things we like to eat and the way some companies have gone about providing those things.
And cow farts might be worse for global warming than diesel exhaust, but methane does not have the effect on human children that diesel exhaust does.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
I think Humans are the biggest contributors and those other things happened because of the things we like to eat and the way some companies have gone about providing those things.
And cow farts might be worse for global warming than diesel exhaust, but methane does not have the effect on human children that diesel exhaust does.
Our emissions aren't the biggest problem. It is the destruction of our carbon sinks that are the primary cause of CO2 level rise. 80%-90% of our forests are cut down for meat production, and our oceans are poisoned by the wastes and chemicals used produce the feed for those animals.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Our emissions aren't the biggest problem. It is the destruction of our carbon sinks that are the primary cause of CO2 level rise. 80%-90% of our forests are cut down for meat production, and our oceans are poisoned by the wastes and chemicals used produce the feed for those animals.
And why are those carbon sinks being destroyed? Why is the forest being cut down for meat production? Humans.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
And why are those carbon sinks being destroyed? Why is the forest being cut down for meat production? Humans.
The #1 problem is overpopulation...This planet and our combined carbon emissions cannot support a doubling of the population every 50-70 years or so. It's really the root issue that we can't improve lowering emissions faster than we populate.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The #1 problem is overpopulation...This planet and our combined carbon emissions cannot support a doubling of the population every 50-70 years or so. It's really the root issue that we can't improve lowering emissions faster than we populate.
Well, except the vast majority of emissions support a small fraction of the world's population.

So it's not the population, but the emissions.

-Crissa

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The "Heaven for bid" statement is for the people and the families involved in the crash. Just want everyone to understand that.

That's a great point you make. But I think you're missing the big picture. Standard automotive tolerances are set to +/-5%. Now that's for each part of the circuit. So for example the battery charge meter, the algorithm for destination range left, the sensors that provide feed back for the algorithm to work efficiently and so on. So you add all the negative tolerances up and you can be 50 miles off (yes, on the positive side of that you can gain 50 miles, but are you willing to take the chance that the stars are aligned for you? I'm not.). So 1 to 2 miles doesn't sound like a big deal, but when you're put in that "pucker factor" situation, it is a big deal. You have to remember, there is a reason why AAA and all the other major insurance providers offer free roadside assistance(which includes up to 5gal of fuel delivery). There are a large amount of people that run out of fuel on a daily basis.

This is just another aspect that to me shows the 700+ mile range is something that needs to happen. It adds that layer of security to those on the proverbial fence.
Do you think the likes of AAA will have recovery vehicles with a battery bank so they can give a vehicle that has depleted it’s battery in the middle of nowhere a boost.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
As a Canadian and a former mechanics of both vehicles and aircrafts, I can say that the damage is extemely minimal. The Viscosity of oil does need to be taken into consideration but as long as you don't start your vehicle and immediately start reving the engine, you probably won't ever see any consequences of starting a cold car without a block heater. If this was damaging cars regularly, we would have block heaters, but I can assure you that the average Canadian does not have one.

Another way to look at this is if you put in oil in your car on an average day around 15-20C, it's pretty thick; heat that oil up to the temperature of an engine around 100C and it will be thinner. So if we warm up our engines on a -40C day or just take it slow as we usually do on icy roads, we will be just fine. I guess if someone lives next to a highway on ramp, starts their car everyday and immediately guns it onto the highway, they will probably experience problems eventually.
I'll second you on this, I grew up thinking that you had to wait for you engine to warm up to prevent damage. This stems from cold carburetor engines where heat needed to build up under the intake plenum to properly atomize the fuel and run correctly.. otherwise you would stall or wash the cylinders with fuel. So that methodology just stuck. When in actuality idle speed for any engine is the worst speed. So idling for extended periods of time to let your motor "warm up" is worse then just driving away.

The Vehicles that use block heaters are typically diesel powered.. this is because they use heat ignition not spark ignition, Also why some have glow plugs or a intake air heating element.

To this day the most i do is let my vehicle drop out of high idle before i bang it into reverse, but that just personal preference. My Audi A3 E-Tron will start the engine cold right on the highway and rev right to 2200rpm to take over for the electric motor. Obviously Audi figured it worked just fine that way as well.

Of all the classes and all the Textbooks i read when going through Automotive, Diesel and Industrial school no one ever said "let your engine warm up when it's cold. In-fact they would say don't let your engine idle.. worst thing for it. I did see this as a technical service bulletin on early LS1 corvettes however, first time GM used forged pistons they got terrible piston slap if you didn't let the car warm up for those pistons to expand. They corrected it on the next year model.

Last edited:

Gibbed187

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
92 gmc sierra, 06 ram, 17 4-runner
Occupation
GM USA. Design Engineering and PCB Assembly
Country flag
Do you think the likes of AAA will have recovery vehicles with a battery bank so they can give a vehicle that has depleted it’s battery in the middle of nowhere a boost.
For sure they will and do have these trucks. As Crissa pointed out they're already being used.

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
I have a truck that covered 640 mile on a stock size fuel tank, while filling it I spoke to another fellow at the fuel station who went over 700 miles on his. My point here is we could select to purchase fuel or energy at prices that we find agreeable to our economies.
I think the same applies to CyberTruck and, why should the last 100 years of vehicle fueling be the benchmark of travel standards? If it were possible to charge once a week I think this would be a welcomed advantage and help reduce the grid load, saving your time for things you deem important. I believe future technology will bring us far greater capabilities then we talk about now. Just wish we had them.
Sponsored