OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
There are quite a few more things that require electric in a food truck such as exhaust fans, warming drawers/heat lamps other refrigeration besides storage, water pumps, hot water heater, cash register/computer etc. are just a few potential issues to keep in mind.
Sure, some do and some are even using diesel generators. But, I'd say most aren't that energy intensive. And you certainly don't need to start off with all that kitchen gear. I'd keep it simple when starting up.

I frequent a food trailer. Roger sell hot dogs, huge hot dogs. His trailer has no generator, two propane tanks, a rack to hold hickory wood for the grill, three ice coolers for drinks, and a fridge. He normally sells out, then packs up and heads home. He buys his food supplies daily, fresh buns, fresh veggies, fresh hot dogs (made for him at a local butcher). Simple. And he loves what he does.

For years I would stop off at Long Warf in New Haven CT, just off Rt 95. I bet there can be 30 food trucks and trailers there (pre covid). You'll see every possible food truck and trailer variation there! https://www.streetfoodnhv.com/locations/long-wharf

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
A food truck still needs to be inspected prior to being able to sell food and a hand wash system has to be in place. There are standards that have to be met for everyone’s safety. You are not supposed to handle money and then prepare food without first washing hands. I am not against the concept but there’s quite a bit more to a food truck than what the average person thinks.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
A handwashing station can be as simple as a water bottle and a soap bottle, tho. And there are drop-in solutions. And the most common solution to the money-handling problem is just has a specific person do the money.

-Crissa

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Can you not control the power coming in from the supercharger like you can from the home charger? I thought so, but maybe you cannot?

Cause if you could turn down the power during a supercharger session, you could stop worrying about battery damage/degradation.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Can you not control the power coming in from the supercharger like you can from the home charger? I thought so, but maybe you cannot?

Cause if you could turn down the power during a supercharger session, you could stop worrying about battery damage/degradation.
That's not really what the supercharger is intended for. Tesla has a fair use policy for Superchargers to make sure that they are available for as many people as possible. While this hasn't been much of a problem so far, Tesla has been greatly increasing the number of vehicles on the road every year for the past few years. Pretty soon, we could see more demand for these superchargers and while the new faster chargers that they are upgrading to and new upgrades in the years to come will help, i'm sure there will be hours of the day that they could be busy.

If someone goes against the fair use policy, Tesla could limit the charge rate that you will get on your vehicle and that could make things harder in the future for anyone that does it.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
That's not really what the supercharger is intended for. Tesla has a fair use policy for Superchargers to make sure that they are available for as many people as possible. While this hasn't been much of a problem so far, Tesla has been greatly increasing the number of vehicles on the road every year for the past few years. Pretty soon, we could see more demand for these superchargers and while the new faster chargers that they are upgrading to and new upgrades in the years to come will help, i'm sure there will be hours of the day that they could be busy.

If someone goes against the fair use policy, Tesla could limit the charge rate that you will get on your vehicle and that could make things harder in the future for anyone that does it.
I understand why not everyone would want to, as most are using a Supercharger to quickly get back on the road, but I was hoping someone who owned a Tesla who has used a supercharger would respond with what is currently possible.

And I would understand why Tesla would not want everyone slow charging at a supercharge... but those not the questions I asked. I asked if it was possible to do so.

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
With “Battery Day” coming next week it might reveal there’s no need to worry about it at all. The company out in California that has quite a few high mileage Tesla’s using the Super Chargers hasn’t shown any great deterioration of the batteries. This is just my take on it and will look forward to seeing what current Tesla owners say about it.
Sponsored